Author Topic: Painting of Rain Gauge or other items  (Read 1224 times)

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
Painting of Rain Gauge or other items
« on: February 20, 2023, 11:59:22 PM »
Not sure if it’s been discussed before.

Has anyone tried painting the rain gauge or other parts of various Ecowitt devices.

I was thinking of painting the rain gauge and maybe the underside of the radiation shield.

Any photos or advice would be welcome :)

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
Re: Painting of Rain Gauge or other items
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »
What colour were you thinking of painting it ?
HP2550 console 1.9.3 , WS80 1.2.4 , WH57 lightning sensor , WH40 rain gauge , WH51 soil moisture sensor , GW1100 gateway 2.3.0

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 08:25:57 PM »

Any colour other than white lol, maybe to help it blend into its surroundings.

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 08:55:51 PM »

Any colour other than white lol, maybe to help it blend into its surroundings.
Colours other than white will probably absorb more solar radiation, potentially influencing the temperature sensor. For example, when the decks on my houseboat were white I could walk on them during the summer heat barefoot. I can't do that when they are mission brown as my feet burn - although a bit hotter than Hamilton, I guess.

Also be aware that you will need to confirm whether the paint you wish to use will adhere to the plastic, or whether you will need an undercoat. I was given a few of Campbell Scientific radiation shields that had discoloured and found a paint that has good adhesion directly to the plastic, but it was a white spray can designed to touch up air-conditioning vents, so I have no idea if it comes in different colours. Spray paint can be very wasteful due to over spray if you aren't careful.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline slybarman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 09:56:12 PM »
i didn't paint the sensors, but i did paint my mount. the white does stand out in nature - at least where i am.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:58:51 PM by slybarman »

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 02:24:11 AM »
 Even the hawk in the picture is eyeing it up  :shock:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 02:48:53 AM by Rocketman »
HP2550 console 1.9.3 , WS80 1.2.4 , WH57 lightning sensor , WH40 rain gauge , WH51 soil moisture sensor , GW1100 gateway 2.3.0

Offline slybarman

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:24:00 AM »
to be fair, he eyes everything up. if my dog was a bit smaller I'd be nervous.

Offline Jai Soone

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 05:18:33 PM »
I think I've seen it mentioned that painting the undersides of the platters (except the bottom  platter) of a heat shield black (presumably flat black) suppresses the tendency of the platters to reflect incident light into the interior of the shield.

Also, some have taken to coating the interior of the funnel of a tipping spoon rain gauge with water repellent to prevent droplets adhering thereto.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 05:36:51 PM by Jai Soone »

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 09:55:05 PM »
I think I've seen it mentioned that painting the undersides of the platters (except the bottom  platter) of a heat shield black (presumably flat black) suppresses the tendency of the platters to reflect incident light into the interior of the shield.
Some Campbell Scientific Radiation Shields consist of two elements. The larger outer layers are white and outward sloping downwards. The inner layer is black and has an outward slope in the upward
direction.

Ignore the orange base as it is a prototype 3d-printed replacement base to mount different sensors.

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 07:15:12 AM »
Kind of on the same topic. I have wondered the practicality of putting a thin coat of fluorescent paint on the cups of the anemometer on my 2551C (Bi wing) to make it easier to see the movement of the (currently black) cups at night time.
Haven't investigated it too much because I suspect that even a thin amount of paint may alter the weight and balance of the mechanism but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »
You could try some fluorescent tape first to see the affectiveness . Regarding paint I feel you will alter the weight of the cups ( but I don't think it's a big deal )

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »
Kind of on the same topic. I have wondered the practicality of putting a thin coat of fluorescent paint on the cups of the anemometer on my 2551C (Bi wing) to make it easier to see the movement of the (currently black) cups at night time.
Haven't investigated it too much because I suspect that even a thin amount of paint may alter the weight and balance of the mechanism but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

How about a solar spotlight. I have one aimed at my Merican Flag. You could mount it and aim it at the ane' .

Offline Pooley

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 05:49:53 PM »
You could try some fluorescent tape first to see the affectiveness . Regarding paint I feel you will alter the weight of the cups ( but I don't think it's a big deal )

I wound have thought that tape would have thrown the balance and sensitivity of the anemometer out even more than paint would have? Might see what others have to say.

How about a solar spotlight. I have one aimed at my Merican Flag. You could mount it and aim it at the ane' .

Yeah, I actually already have a solar spotlight on it already. The trouble is that at night time with the night sky as a background the cups blend in as well (black on black) hence my thoughts about painting the cups a different colour (Australian spelling).

Thankyou both for your thoughts.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 05:52:40 PM »
Maybe a small square of silver HVAC tape on the back of each cup? might give enough reflection?

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 09:14:52 PM »
Try a small bit of tape on the radius of the cups ( not to add to much load )

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 10:15:30 AM »
Instead of the cups maybe small slivers of reflective tape at the main hub where the cup arms are. Less loading at the cups.

Oh and as for "Colour vs Color" ... doesn't bother me...still working through the "They/Them/It" stuff as well as a crazy government. " Look! There's 2 Chinese spy balloons in the sky! I want them shot down! " " Uh, Mr. President the small is a high school weather project." " Well then, shoot down the big one ! " " Uh Mr. President... that one is the moon. "  😂

Offline JeffCharger

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
........ different colour (Australian spelling).

Canadian spelling too!

Offline Pooley

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 02:16:51 AM »
Hi all.
Just wanted to update you all with what I did with this one. I ended up going down the path of buying a white paint pen and painted the inside and outside of the cups (3 coats). I figured that this would have less of an effect on the balance of the meter than using tape. This doesn't appear to have affected the balance or sensitivity of the unit. Next up I might get some glow in the dark paint and apply it as, coming into this Australian winter, the days are getting overcast and shorter and the battery of my solar spotlight is only lasting until 11:00pm on overcast days.
Not pretty but effective.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]