Author Topic: WS-2000 Wind Data Graphs.  (Read 180 times)

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
WS-2000 Wind Data Graphs.
« on: February 18, 2022, 04:45:21 PM »
I upload my WS-2000 data to both ambientweather.net and Weather Underground. I know WU gets lots of deserved criticism from long time members of this forum. That said, one thing I like better about WU is that it seems to do a better job of averaging wind speed and direction in its graphs. See the graphs below for yesterday, Feb. 17, 2022. The top graphss are ambientweather.net, the bottom graphs are WU. Although both graphs plot data in 5 minute increments, WU seems to draw less scattered graphs. I suppose this could be because of the rapid fire updates on WU, giving it more data values to work with within each 5 minute increment. WU updates every 10 to 30 seconds while ambient updates about once every 2 minutes. But it seems to me that the WS-2000 console also has all the frequent data values to work with and could provide better averaged values than it does to ambientweather.net when it does upload. I am an admitted non-expert at this, so my observations/opinions may be way off base.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 10:14:42 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS-2000 Wind Data Graphs.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:14:41 AM »
Likewise, I'm no expert. and also upload using rapidfire (from weewx)
WU seems to average everything, whereas with wind gusts, the maximum in the period would be more meaningful in my opinion.
Normal wind speed seems to be more in line, although It appears that cumulus is averaging. All charts are in MPH except weewx which is in m/s (multiply *2.24)
Personally, although I upload, I tend to review my local weewx chart at 1min interval. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

anything