Author Topic: Ambient weather networkk  (Read 226 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Ambient weather networkk
« on: November 21, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
I am thinking of jumping ship from Weatherlink Live .  too costly.
How much does the Ambient run per year.

Offline Eno

Re: Ambient weather networkk
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
I was just thinking this morning how satisfied I am with Ambient.  I just replaced my 8-year old WS-1001 with a WS-2000. It came with an extra thermo-hygrometer and extras are $13. But the website and app are good too.  It was easy to get my webcam showing on the site, and then a couple months ago Ambient said they were working on getting webcam functionality on the app and wow, a few weeks later they delivered.  What a contrast to a certain large weather organization, blaming the users and the sheer complexity of getting all those different kinds of webcams to work on their site!  :-({|=

I'm not sure what cost you're referring to though for the "Ambient weather network".  I think it is only for Ambient PWS's maybe?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
I have to pay Davis 107 a year for their service online.   What does Ambient cost per year for their service?

And with their apps, particularly the iphone, is it good?

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
I am thinking of jumping ship from Weatherlink Live .  too costly.
How much does the Ambient run per year.

Zero dollars. It's free.
It only works for Ambient Weather equipment. It's linked to the MAC address of the equipment they sell.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
I have had my WS-2000 since Aug. and don't pay anything for ambientweather.net. Their service has been reliable and has only been down one time that I noticed during this 4 month period. During that outage, I wasn't able to access the web site for a couple of hours, but they did continue to accept the data from my WS-2000, so no data was lost.

I also use Weather Underground. There are a couple of things I like better about WU than Ambient. WU updates every few seconds, while AmbientWeather updates every 2 minutes. It also seems to me that WU does a better job of averaging wind speed and direction that AmbientWeather. The graphs on WU show more consistent and smooth wind graphs than Ambient which shows my wind graphs as kind of all over the place. Maybe that is because of the more frequent updates on WU.

Overall though, I have been pleased with AmbientWeather.net.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:32:23 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223