Author Topic: Firmware best practice.  (Read 586 times)

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Firmware best practice.
« on: August 25, 2021, 10:49:20 PM »
I have my new Ambient WS-2000 operating without issues, but I have only had it  for a week. What is the best practice for firmware updates? 1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it OR 2) Install the latest firmware (console and WiFi) before you have problems.

I did update the console firmware to V1.7.4 because there was a feature update I wanted to use. But the WiFi is still at V2.4.6 as shipped. I am not having any WiFi issues, so should I update the WiFi firmware anyway?
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Firmware best practice.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 11:03:25 PM »
Neither extreme is good. If you don't update then you miss out on features and bug fixes and new sensor support. But if you update too soon after a new firmware release then you become an early adopter and you are susceptible to possible newly introduced bugs and sometimes things break.

Therefore my recommendation is to read the forum for news on newly released firmware. If you see that it's been a few weeks without issues reported then you can update with more confidence.

The WiFi firmware handles more than just your WiFi network connectivity. It is responsible for uploads to online services. The SD card firmware (Revision firmware) handles the display visuals.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:07:03 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 06:39:28 AM »
First rule: If it's not broke then don't fix it

Second rule: Wait

Third rule: After a period of time if there are no issues/failures raised AND the new firmware provides you something useful then proceed with caution (at your own risk) 

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 10:21:20 AM »
First rule: If it's not broke then don't fix it

Second rule: Wait

Third rule: After a period of time if there are no issues/failures raised AND the new firmware provides you something useful then proceed with caution (at your own risk)
and back up everything, especially if there is no rollback

Offline solartempest

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »
Agreed, depends on the criticality of your system and need for the features.
For my ecowitt devices, I am in the 'update for features but not immediately' group.

For other unrelated hardware devices, I am writing my own firmware and flashing them on a regular basis as I continue that development process.
Ecowitt GW1000, HP2553BC, WS80, WH51x4, WH41, WH45, WH40, WH32, WH31x2, WH57x2.

anything