Author Topic: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data  (Read 25154 times)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
The app I've been working on during Corona lockdown has now been publicly released !

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Features
  • Themes – Colours of text, headers, graphics, graphs can get changed.
  • Display from one sensor graph only, to two sensor graphs with an extra sensor column.
  • Choose which sensors you want to show as graphs, and for how long the graph should span over.
  • Or instead of graph(s) a small web window can be shown which can be used for whatever you like. Can be used for Windy.com for local forecasts as an example (see screenshots)
  • History for all sensors in the form of Graphs throughout each day. Simply tap the value on screen to see history for that given sensor
  • Data older than x days (customizable) will be converted to min/max value of the day to conserve space on the tablet.
  • Keeps the devices backlight on, so that it can truly work as a weather display
  • Customizable alert system, that lets you chose on which sensors and when you want to have alerts from them. Get alerted once a day when wind gusts hits 20 m/s, or get alerted with sound when outdoor temperature goes below 32 fahrenheit
  • Different units for different sensors
  • Android support all the way back to Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)
  • Get alerted on low battery for your sensors
  • No cloud or internet access required for this app to work (other than downloading it from the play store). All data is stored on your tablet locally!

Alerts
Alerts can be set of your choice, on what sensors and what value the sensor should go below/over before the alert is triggerd. The color on the dashboard can be changed when triggered along with which sound to be played with the alert.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

History
Detailed history from each sensor is stored in a local database on your tablet. Once 7 days passes (can be changed) the data is archived with less detail, to save space on the tablet.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I've taken the liberty to charge a 25 DKK for the app, which is just below 4 dollars. I hope that is okay, as I've used quite some time on it.

Known issues / ToDo
  • Scaling accross devices might not work correctly, and some things may not show correctly. This is something I can only fix by trial and error since I only have a few devices to test it out on my self. If you experience any issues, let me know your tablet model and i can try and fix it
  • The application is required to run in the foreground to log updates to history and have the alert system alert the user. It will in time be moved to a service, so that the user doesn't have to have it open
  • Landscape support only - Might look at support for portrait, however this was never the intention
  • Bugs. There will be some, as its an early version and I'm the only one who has tested it, which surely isn't enough. And its my first app!

An instructions manual, with how to set it up and how to use all the settings can be found here: http://cba.today/personal-weather-tablet-documentation/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:56:50 AM by Da9L »

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
I can't wait to try it out. The app to search for is "Personal Weather Tablet"?

Regards, Oliver

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
I can't wait to try it out. The app to search for is "Personal Weather Tablet"?

Regards, Oliver

Yes that should be it :) Review from Google is still pending though, and due to corona virus they say it might take more time than usual. Will update here once its available, but if you want to try it, i need your email address to add to the closed test :) You can send it to me via private messaging if you want

Offline drzeller

I would be interested.  It looks good.  I was just posting that I was looking for something like this earlier today.

David

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Looking very positive as a web app.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Looking very positive as a web app.

Its actually not a web app :) I was considering that though, but one of the reason i made this was to learn to make Android apps  :-)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Apologies I meant Android....I was on the phone at the time discussing the development of a web app at work....LOL!
I shall be watching this with interest as I have an old 8 inch tablet sitting beside my HP2551 waiting for a good purpose!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
my best compliments, great job
I obviously add myself to the list of beta testers when will be possible  ;)

Mauro

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Thanks for you all your interest guys! Your emails are noted, and as soon as the application gets reviewed in google play, i can add you to the beta testing list, and you will be able to see the app in google play. I will let you know once that happens :)

Offline Eric971

Hi, I'm interested too. Your work looks very well !

Offline 2thepoint

• NJ WeatherCat
please add me to the list...pm with email on the way.

thanks,
GW1000
HP2551
GW2000
WS90
WH41B
Meteobridge/RPi4

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
I just wanted to inform everyone that the application was approved by Google yesterday, but there are some trouble for the testers involved making the app crash right after it starts. I'm working on it at the moment, and also working on a way for me to better test it.

I hope to release a new version this afternoon if i can nail down what is causing it. Since this is also new for me, i hope you can bear over with me

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
I just wanted to inform everyone that the application was approved by Google yesterday, but there are some trouble for the testers involved making the app crash right after it starts. I'm working on it at the moment, and also working on a way for me to better test it.

I hope to release a new version this afternoon if i can nail down what is causing it. Since this is also new for me, i hope you can bear over with me

don't worry, usually could be better that the beta testers not have to pay before, but this is not a problem
waiting updates

Mauro

Offline bodo

app development goes on or everything is stopped?

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
app development goes on or everything is stopped?

Development is still going on :-) I'm only releasing versions for the internal alpha testers at the moment, but just a heads up of what has been changed since the original post in the internal test versions:

Changelog
  • Some data from the GW1000 was not coded as being optional, so the app would crash on startup for some users. This was fixed
  • More validation added to the settings page
  • Opening a history popup on a sensor without any history added would just show a blank page. Now a message is displayed instead
  • Some theme coloring issues fixed
  • Fixed an issue where a SQL table was not created properly on first application start, which would make older history not working
  • Fixed some bugs, where the app would hang and crash when the above table was missing and it would try and cleanup the database
  • Next version: Should now support Android 4.1 and newer.
  • Next version: Fixed an issue where when using Web view in graphics box to show a webpage, it would run out of memory over a few days and crash the app
  • Next version: Added support for low battery reporting, in the form of an alert when low battery is reported from a sensor

A changelog is ofcourse not worth so much when you don't use the app, but just to let you know that I am working on the app :)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
(Please don't mind the data in the screenshot, those are only for testing purposes)

I have just released Alpha 5 to the Play Store, and it is pending review from Google. Should be available for everyone in the closed alpha branch within the next hours!

Changelog:
  • App is now compatible with Android 4.1+ devices keeping up with the original idea for the app to be used on unused old tablets. Was Android 6.0+ before
  • Implemented low battery alerts for sensors shown on dashboard
  • Added tendency system, that shows an arrow going either up, straight or down depending on the sensors tendency (experimental)
  • History graphs, now have, as default, a locked min/max value depending on sensor type and unit. Can be disabled to old system in settings
  • Fixed missing custom names under Graphics Box 1/2 sensor selection
  • Fixed Web url selection boxes under Graphics Box 1/2 not always showing the actual selections
  • Other smaller bugfixes
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:35:37 PM by Da9L »

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
Thanks Daniel,

finally all my tablets at home based on Android 5 (including a Fire 10 with installed Play Store) are working now.
It really looks nice to run several devices with PWT in parallel!
:-)

Regards, Oliver

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Thanks Daniel,

finally all my tablets at home based on Android 5 (including a Fire 10 with installed Play Store) are working now.
It really looks nice to run several devices with PWT in parallel!
:-)

Regards, Oliver

Thats very good to hear Oliver! How did you manage to get your tablets to run in parallel ?  :grin:

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
How did you manage to get your tablets to run in parallel ?
My GW1000 sends Ecowitt via custom server to FOSHKplugin.
FOSHKplugin than forwards every incoming Ecowitt-string to several destinations (or convert it to WU-protocol): my home automation system (Loxone), weewx, Windy, Awekas, PWSweather, Luftdaten.info and (currently) three devices running PWT.

I was considering buying a display HP2551-C. Thanks to PWT, I will probably invest the same money in a new tablet and nail my old devices to the wall as a PWT console.
Thank you!

Regards, Oliver

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Hi there

Nice app! Is the name of it 'Personal weather tablet' in the play store?

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Hi there

Nice app! Is the name of it 'Personal weather tablet' in the play store?

Hi Mapantz - Yes but it is currently only visible to alpha testers :)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
How did you manage to get your tablets to run in parallel ?
My GW1000 sends Ecowitt via custom server to FOSHKplugin.
FOSHKplugin than forwards every incoming Ecowitt-string to several destinations (or convert it to WU-protocol): my home automation system (Loxone), weewx, Windy, Awekas, PWSweather, Luftdaten.info and (currently) three devices running PWT.

I was considering buying a display HP2551-C. Thanks to PWT, I will probably invest the same money in a new tablet and nail my old devices to the wall as a PWT console.
Thank you!

Regards, Oliver

I'm glad you got it the way you like it! Have this version (Alpha 5) helped you with the stability issues?

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
An instructions manual, with how to set it up and how to use all the settings can be found here: http://cba.today/personal-weather-tablet-documentation/

Offline djkkm

Thanks Daniel for the quick support replies & the hint as to what my issue might be. Up and running now & look forward to playing around with the app.

Nice work, thanks again,
Devin
Ecowitt GW1000
+ WH31 + WH32 + WH40
+ WH51 + WH57 + WS68
PWSweather: KALMOBIL210
Wunderground: KALMOBIL210

Offline Shvedi

Can't find it in play store yet. Any news about release date?

anything