Author Topic: WH31B to check humidty in a gun safe?  (Read 894 times)

Offline LeeS

WH31B to check humidty in a gun safe?
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Mandrake in another topic/thread
It started as an experiment to see how effective at low temps the WH31 would be but then I realised it could be useful as its in my Garage Freezer where the kids keep their ice creams.
They can be kind of sloppy when closing the freezer door and so I have an alert if the temp goes too high on this one.
Very useful and has saved an unplanned defrost several times!
Not that I am too bothered about the ice creams its the rest of the food that's important.

I have a dehumidifier in my gun safe that requires periodic maintenance.  Would be great to monitor the humidity.  The safe is about 15' from the WS-2000 console.  No obstructions other than the safe.  Be interesting to see if this works.  (not holding breath)  I did see gun safes mentioned in a couple of other areas of the Forum.

Was ordering the WH32B WH31B from Amazon, price special $12.16 but not prime.  Standard shipping is 10.06 for me.  Ordered instead direct from Ambient Weather $18.79 no shipping.

If its a bust I can always use it elsewhere.   :-)  I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:33:56 PM by LeeS »
AW WS-2000 - Ecowitt GW1000 - Meteobridge
AW:  Dashboard
WU:  KORHAPPY83
CWOP:  FW7602
PWS Weather:  KORHAPPY83

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: WH32B to check humidty in a gun safe?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:06:07 PM »
I don't see why it wont work unless the gun safe is particularly thick metal.
My freezer is some 30 feet from my HP2551 and various GW1000 and many brick walls in between so it should be OK for you.
Fingers crossed!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
Re: WH32B to check humidty in a gun safe?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
Besides, if it doesn't work, you can always stick the sensor somewhere else, like a freezer :)

I'm going to agree on getting the signal through your gun safe though. If its like mine its pretty heavy gauge steel. Really only one way to find out.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline LeeS

Re: WH31B to check humidty in a gun safe?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »
Correction to the original post.  Should have said WH31B, the eight channel sensor for the WS-2000.  Not the WH32B, the indoor sensor.

Offline LeeS

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
The WH31B works inside the gun safe.  Just put in the lithium batteries, left switches at default (CH1 and F) and set on the table until is was at full signal strength.  Then put on the top shelf of the cabinet.  With the safe completely closed and locked it still showed max signal.   \:D/

Set the WH-2000 to cycle indoor/CH1 every 5 seconds.  I hadn't played with the screen for the extra sensors but in V1.6.0 it looks different.  I don't recall seeing the screen with the grids.  AND Sensor 1 shows right up on ambientweather.net  [tup]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:29:13 PM by LeeS »

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
What is your target humidity for the safe?
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline LeeS

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
What is your target humidity for the safe?

From what I've read, 50% or below is good.  I've also seen 40%.  But I want to see how low it goes with the dehumidifier.  The house is 35 and the gun safe is 31 at the moment.  Been dropping since I closed the door.  I'll recharge the dehumidifier tonight as see what I get.  I wasn't have any trouble, just want to see.

When I see the humidity in the safe start rising I'll know to recharge the unit.  Desiccant type with a built in heater to dry the crystals.

Quote from: review on desiccant dehumidifiers
Rechargeable desiccant dehumidifiers – like disposable moisture absorbers these dehumidifiers are very small in price, very small in size, and unfortunately very small in moisture removal rate. They’re also “wireless” – meaning that they don’t need to be plugged in to a wall outlet for them to actively dehumidify (they only need to be plugged in to recharge, which only needs to be done once every several weeks). The caveat with these units, as it is with disposable desiccants, is that they cannot be used in any sizable space or any space with anything more than only very mild humidity levels (because of their low moisture removal rate). We’ve ranked those rechargeable desiccant dehumidifiers we’ve reviewed from best to worst below. Note that any one of these five units is recommended over disposable desiccants for most applications.

What surprised me is the signal I get through the closed door.  The safe is about 15' from the WS-2000 console with no obstructions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:09:50 PM by LeeS »

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
That sounds like the unit I have. Plug it in every so often and wait until the color changes. I just keep forgetting to do that! I had desiccant bags and the can type with loose desiccant in the past. The wife did not like me baking desiccant in the oven every few weeks.  :grin:

Generally the humidity in my garage (where the safe is) has been running under 45% this winter. Wet season is coming up though. Like your idea of monitoring this to see what is going on.

Thanks!

AmbientWeather.net

Offline LeeS

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 05:47:34 PM »
That sounds like the unit I have. Plug it in every so often and wait until the color changes. I just keep forgetting to do that! I had desiccant bags and the can type with loose desiccant in the past. The wife did not like me baking desiccant in the oven every few weeks.  :grin:

I know what you mean, I baked motorcycle chains in her oven ONE time. 

Generally the humidity in my garage (where the safe is) has been running under 45% this winter. Wet season is coming up though. Like your idea of monitoring this to see what is going on.

Thanks!

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »
Yeah, I think I know where that chain would end up if I tried that here!   :grin:

Getting the same 4 bars of signal from the sensor after moving it from a post in the garage to the inside of the safe. My GW1000 is in the living room. There is a firewall plus 6-7 inches of insulation between the GW1000 and the safe. Straight line distance about 20 to 25 feet. Humidity is currently 39%. Pulled the dehumidifier out for charging.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline LeeS

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »
Locating the WH31B inside the safe worked out very well, maintained a very strong signal. 

The desiccant style dehumidifier no so much.  Never seen it more than a few points below the humidity in the room.  Could be that its hard to improve on the already low humidity.  That or it is just an inexpensive unit.

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 01:02:38 AM »
Similar results here so far. Humidity at ~40% with or without the dehumidifier. But it has only been a brief observation period. I want to see what happens when the humidity in the surrounding space increases in the coming wet season.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline LeeS

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 12:44:03 AM »
The safe humidity has been flat lined at 32% for the last 12 hours.  Indoor humidity 35-40%   Outdoor 64-94%.  Haven't opened the door since putting the recharged dehumidifier inside.  I'll keep tracking until I see the internal humidity trend up.

Offline LeeS

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 12:51:39 AM »
On the forum, what is the trick to getting higher res images to upload?  The forum rejects everything above 640 for me.  The photos I posted earlier are crap not so good.  Also, how do you 'mention' someone.  I've tried in the past.  @username.  No space between @ and the name.

Thanks

anything