Author Topic: GW1000live app  (Read 5808 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: GW1000live app
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
that is the default start up values
what are you entering as the IP address in the setup?

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2020, 08:09:43 PM »
192.168.86.87. That is the IP I see in the WS View app for the GW1000.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
make sure to not have a trailing full stop (.)

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
Confirmed no trailing period. Screenshot of the setup attached.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
Click the Test button to make sure data is received and shown in the white box where it now says "connected"
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
When I hit test, I get just a number: either 87, 0, or 174. One of those at a time. No apparent pattern and a particular number may repeat with subsequent tests.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
That doesn't sound like it is communicating correctly. The first thing that strikes me is that you IP address is not in the customary range of 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x.  Technically that in itself should not be a problem. The trouble is that sometimes software is not written to take these valid situations into account. It would also be beneficial to know what your network subnet mask is. You need to get this from your router as getting this from elsewhere may not be conclusive....so is it 255.255.255.0 or is it something else? These things could be affecting the communication.

The other thing too is are you on a home network? or are you in an business that may be blocking network traffic between networked devices....for example you may be on the subnet in a segregated manner so that all you have access to is the Internet and nothing more. But if WS View works then this is probably not it. There may be a network bug (in GW1000live) still because of your IP address schema.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:28:38 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »
Agreed, possible suspect is the network, though I still am more inclined to suspect the Samsung phone. The network is a Google Mesh wifi network at home. There is a Netgear switch hanging off the primary mesh point that feeds a set of NAS drives and three computers on ethernet. I did have some issues with the Ethernet part of the network when I was setting it up a couple months ago (new home). That said, the wifi part of the network is upstream from the switch and has been in place for over a year with no issues on other devices (phones, iPads, Bose speakers).

Looking at the Google Wifi app, the GW1000 is listed as a connected device and the IP address matches what the GW1000 reports. Under the LAN information, the subnet is 255.255.255.0, with a DHCP pool of 192.168.86.20 to 192.168.86.250.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2020, 11:18:35 PM »
Hi
try unplugging the gw1000 to reset it
(i.e a complete power down and reset)
that might work

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2020, 11:40:19 PM »
Okay good, home network is Google mesh. Yep I just read up on it and see now that Google's router's network defaults to 192.168.86.x with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. So this should not present a problem.

The problem might be that you have a double NAT situation with WiFi on both sides. Maybe, and then the GW1000 sometimes goes between inside and outside WiFi connections. This could also have been part of your prior NAS issues. This happens when WiFi on both devices (ISP gateway device and your router) both use the same WiFi SSID name.
To rule this out, is your WAN IP address shown on the Google router a public IP or a private IP address. If you can't tell for sure then the following IP addresses will help. These are private IP address ranges:
192.168.x.x
172.16.x.x
10.x.x.x

If your WAN IP starts with any of those then you have a double NAT situation. If this is the case then you need to be sure to turn off WiFi at your ISP gateway router...and switch it over to be in bridge mode. If you can't at the moment accomplish this with your ISP another way around this is to change your Google WiFi SSID to be something else and tell all connected network devices to forget the old WiFi SSID name, if not they will still see and it possibly switch back to it from time to time as wireless devices are constantly trying to mitigate and switch to better signal access points.

I have several Samsung phones and tablets, although not a 10e, and none of them have problems with GW1000live nor with WS View.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:42:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
The WAN IP is 192.168.10.100, one of the private ranges you noted.

The ISP setup here is a bit different than what I am use to. The ISP connection is provided by a radio relay to a tower across the valley. (Bitterroot Valley, Montana.) I have an antenna on the roof and the gateway is a small box with power, cable in from the antenna, and ethernet cable out to the Google mesh point. There is no wifi on the gateway, just a pass-through to whatever LAN setup the customer chooses to install. Unlike the gateways I have used in the past for cable, DSL, and fiber, this one had no instructions for config. Plug-and-play essentially once they installed the antenna and box. Photo attached.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:16 AM »
Hi
try unplugging the gw1000 to reset it
(i.e a complete power down and reset)
that might work

Pulled the power, waited 20 sec. No change in the app behavior.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2020, 12:13:30 AM »
Yep you have double NAT....which in your case since there is no WiFi on that then it shouldn't present an immediate problem. For other things like trying to remote in to internal devices would present a problem ...which is why getting rid of double NAT is recommended and it reduces network latency. But for some ISP companies like you have perhaps this may not be possible. You can ask them what it would take for you to get a public IP address to your router and see what they say. Sometimes these types of ISP may charge more for the benefit (like getting a static or dynamic public IP) and then it probably isn't worth the cost unless you need the functionality.

So moving on. See if you can disable all your Google mesh nodes except for the main one. Sometimes mesh networks don't work well with networked devices. You'd have to be certain that the GW1000 and your phone both end up in WiFi coverage to that main Google router.

Another thing to try is to disable mobile data on your phone. Just temporarily as a test. If your phone doesn't like your WiFi network then it might by trying to communicate to the Internet via cellular and then it won't see the GW1000. Being that you ISP is using radios and double NAT there is no telling what kind of latency or other networking issues your phone may be experiencing and it may decide that the cellular connection is better.
Tele-Pole

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:07 AM »
there might be something a bit different about your data ..i.e unexpected data
I do have a windows app that will put the raw data into a file...and then you can email me that

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2020, 12:18:44 AM »
Since you said you had a Netgear switch. Is it really a switch? or could it maybe be a router? What model is the Netgear switch?

I know you said upsteam ...but just to be clear how is this switch connected?

ISP gateway ---> Netgear ---> Google Mesh main
or is it:
ISP gateway ---> Google Mesh main ---> Netgear

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2020, 12:19:42 AM »
I do have a windows app that will put the raw data into a file...and then you can email me that

Good point. Knowing the sensors connected to the GW1000 might be a good idea.
Tele-Pole

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2020, 12:34:56 AM »
Since you said you had a Netgear switch. Is it really a switch? or could it maybe be a router? What model is the Netgear switch?

I know you said upsteam ...but just to be clear how is this switch connected?

ISP gateway ---> Netgear ---> Google Mesh main
or is it:
ISP gateway ---> Google Mesh main ---> Netgear

Yes, a switch instead of a router. Though the primary mesh point is a one-port router, with the switch hanging off that port.

Gateway > mesh > switch is the base topography.

The switch is a Netgear GS510TLP. Went with a switch instead of a router as I want to eventually add a PoE camera and could only find PoE in a switch at the time.  I also move a lot of data between the NAS drives and the computers for high resolution photo editing and occasional GIS data analysis (e.g. spatial analysis/machine learning on raster data). The ethernet connection off the switch is faster and has less latency issues than wifi. Plus I have a teenager at home who screams when her streaming is slowed down. :grin: This keeps my local bandwidth separate from the wifi and inbound ISP feed. 

AmbientWeather.net

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2020, 12:37:37 AM »

Good point. Knowing the sensors connected to the GW1000 might be a good idea.

Shoot me the app or a link and I will gather the data. CKayaksCA at gmail. Likely will be tomorrow as it is getting late here.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2020, 12:43:32 AM »
...You can ask them what it would take for you to get a public IP address to your router and see what they say. Sometimes these types of ISP may charge more for the benefit (like getting a static or dynamic public IP) and then it probably isn't worth the cost unless you need the functionality.

So moving on. See if you can disable all your Google mesh nodes except for the main one. Sometimes mesh networks don't work well with networked devices. You'd have to be certain that the GW1000 and your phone both end up in WiFi coverage to that main Google router.

Another thing to try is to disable mobile data on your phone. Just temporarily as a test. If your phone doesn't like your WiFi network then it might by trying to communicate to the Internet via cellular and then it won't see the GW1000. Being that you ISP is using radios and double NAT there is no telling what kind of latency or other networking issues your phone may be experiencing and it may decide that the cellular connection is better.

Had the same thought about the mobile data so had tested that earlier today. Put it in airplane mode to kill the bluetooth and cell feeds then re-enabled wifi. No change in the app behavior and all was fine with the WS View. I will give experiment with the mesh in the morning and talk with the ISP as well. Small town operation so the options may be limited.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2020, 02:40:19 AM »
kewl, I sent you an email with a link to download the windows cron program

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »
Running it now. Also will try the mesh point shutdown that was suggested by galfert.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »
Files sent. Just ran them for a few minutes so if more data is needed let me know. I did the data download both with the full mesh network running then a second run with just the primary mesh point active. No difference in the app behavior between the two modes.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »
OK the raw data shows where the problem is
for some reason your relative sea level barometer reading is 1100 hpa
which the app (and the windows program) is rejecting
is there some barometer offset you can apply to the GW1000 devide to lower that reading?
I can make it accept a reaging a bit higher..but in reality that is a world record
does the actual WS View app show that high reading too?

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
Yes, that is what the WS View app shows. Most likely a nob mistake when I did the setup a couple months ago! Let me rerun the procedure and get the pressure properly calibrated.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2020, 07:31:30 AM »
Hi ! I just bought this app, and what a lovely idea.

I like the fact that it pulls the data directly from the GW1000 .. No internet required as far as i know then, which is a great bonus for me

I do however have a few issues though.

• No unit settings. Would love to be able to set m/s for wind
  • Maybe I'm missing something, but none of my extra sensors are seen (3x indoor/outdoor temp/humidity sensors)
  • The graphics in the app needs an overhaul, as it seems to be really broken right now. Barely works in landscape mod on my tablet

But really great work so far, and just to be clear: This is worth every penny. I will gladly donate some more to see progress!  :grin: [tup]

EDIT: Also, would you consider making it open source ? I'm a developer my self (not android though), and this could be a great place to help out if you like

anything