Author Topic: New with a Froggit WH3000SE, DP1500 and DP50 and have some questions  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
Hi all! I recently created this tipic: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38259 asking for help regarding a new weather station to replace my complete Netatmo weather station as i had some issues with it.

I've now recieved and installed this set: https://www.froggit.de/product_info.php?info=p422_dp1500-wi-fi-wetterserver-usb-dongle-inkl--3-x-dp50---wh3000se-all-in-one-aussensensor.html and so far i like it! Even though the setup was okay easy, it wasn't as easy and intuitive as my Netatmo station, but the data is updated much more frequently and if its more precise i would much rather prefer this one (as that was my main issue with Netatmo, readings were all over the place). Thanks for the recommendation Mandrake!

Now to my questions:

• Is there any app that lets me add widgets to my Android homescreen containing the weather stations data?
  • I assume DP50 sensor can be used outside as well?
  • Using Wunderground, can i change the units on wind speed?
  • The WH3000SE sensor array seems to have a small solar panel on it. Will this charge the batteries if i insert rechargable ones or what is that for?
  • Is there a way i can see the remote sensors (WH3000SE, DP50 etc.) signal strenght and battery status?
  • Can you recommend any apps to use with this?
  • How do i change which sensors are uploaded to wunderground?
  • Whats the best compatible weather cloud service to use with these sensors? Its compatible with Wunderground, Weathercloud and WOW out of the box as far as i undderstand it
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:57:31 AM by Da9L »

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: New with a Froggit WH3000SE, DP1500 and DP50 and have some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 07:22:42 AM »
OK, in order!
1. No app that provides widgets yet, but I am sure that will come.
2. Yes, can be used outside but if in an exposed position we recommend that you purchase the additional Stevenson radiation screen from Ecowitt to place it in (Part RS-00001).
3. I am pretty sure that you can change the units you measure/display
4. No, the sensor array uses a super capacitor to power the array and the batteries are for when the capacitor is depleted (ie Nighttime or dark winter days). So no rechargeables, we recommend that you use lithium AA cells for the sensor array.
5. Yes, you can see this on the Console in settings and also in the WS-View app sensor ID page. Though not all sensors report battery status I think.
6. GW1000Live is the latest app to use on Android to view the GW1000 data. Otherwise if you have a raspberry Pi, you can use a number of app to read the GW1000 such as CumulusMX and WeatherDisplay and WeeWx
7. Only the primary sensor array gets uploaded to Wunderground
8. Ecowitt.net is the best as that records and displays all available data you have.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:35:51 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
1. Although not a widget, I set a home screen icon shortcut with Chrome on Android. It looks like an app in this regard and quickly gets me to Ecowitt.net. There is also the WU app you can install for main sensors. The WU app is currently in the middle of a redesign. You can also try the GW1000live app that is also in development by Brian of Weather-Display.
2. You already have an outdoor sensor for temperature. Not very many cases where you would need a second outdoor sensor....unless you had an outdoor area that would have a different temperature than the normal outdoor ambient temperature. Ecowitt has a radiation shield part you can use RS-00001
3. In WU you can click on the gear icon on the top right and then select °F or °C and it will change all units between imperial and metric.
4. The batteries are only used when the super capacitor is insufficient (on really cloudy days)
8. Although Ecowitt.net is the only directly supported service that will show you all your sensors there is a way to add to your station to get these sensors to show up in other places. You can use a Meteobridge and then license it for Ambientweather.net  and then all the sensors show up there. Ambientweather.net is like Ecowitt.net very much in look and feel as they are cut from the same cloth. But Ambientweather.net has some added API features where it will integrate with Alexa and Google Assistant and other 3rd party software. You can also use software like Cumulus MX, Weather-Display to see your sensors.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
OK, in order!
1. No app that provides widgets yet, but I am sure that will come.
2. Yes, can be used outside but if in an exposed position we recommend that you purchase the additional davis screen from Ecowitt to place it in.
3. I am pretty sure that you can change the units you measure/display
4. No, the sensor array uses a super capacitor to power the array and the batteries are for when the capacitor is depleted (ie Nighttime or dark winter days). So no rechargeables, we recommend that you use lithium AA cells for the sensor array.
5. Yes, you can see this on the Console in settings and also in the WS-View app sensor ID page. Though not all sensors report battery status I think.
6. GW1000Live is the latest app to use on Android to view the GW1000 data. Otherwise if you have a raspberry Pi, you can use a number of app to read the GW1000 such as CumulusMX and WeatherDisplay and WeeWx
7. Only the primary sensor array gets uploaded to Wunderground
8. Ecowitt.net is the best as that records and displays all available data you have.

Hope that helps

2. I've placed it inside a small house for our cat untill further.
3. I've managed to find the pleace to change the temperature unit, but i cannot seem to find anything about wind speed units? It seems to be measured in km/h and i usually read it as m/s
4. That is very neat ! How often do you change batteries ?
5. Not sure where the "Console in settings" is ? Is it in the webinterface of ecowitt or? In the WS-View app, i can only find signal strength information under the Sensors ID. They always seem to report full signal though, but maybe that is actually the case. Just wasn't as good with my netatmo sensors at the same places.
6. I'll take a look at that app :)

1. Although not a widget, I set a home screen icon shortcut with Chrome on Android. It looks like an app in this regard and quickly gets me to Ecowitt.net. There is also the WU app you can install for main sensors. The WU app is currently in the middle of a redesign. You can also try the GW1000live app that is also in development by Brian of Weather-Display.
2. You already have an outdoor sensor for temperature. Not very many cases where you would need a second outdoor sensor....unless you had an outdoor area that would have a different temperature than the normal outdoor ambient temperature. Ecowitt has a radiation shield part you can use RS-00001
3. In WU you can click on the gear icon on the top right and then select °F or °C and it will change all units between imperial and metric.
4. The batteries are only used when the super capacitor is insufficient (on really cloudy days)
8. Although Ecowitt.net is the only directly supported service that will show you all your sensors there is a way to add to your station to get these sensors to show up in other places. You can use a Meteobridge and then license it for Ambientweather.net  and then all the sensors show up there. Ambientweather.net is like Ecowitt.net very much in look and feel as they are cut from the same cloth. But Ambientweather.net has some added API features where it will integrate with Alexa and Google Assistant and other 3rd party software. You can also use software like Cumulus MX, Weather-Display to see your sensors.

1. That might be a solution for now.
2. I've placed the sensor array on top of my roof though, and i believe that is way to high for accurate temperature measurements. That was why i thought it would be a good idea to have another sensor outside close to the ground.
3. Look above
4. Look above
8. I will take a look at meteobridge. Could i register my WPS on AmbientWeather already?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »
You change the batteries every 2 or 3 years. Recommend lithium batteries instead of alkaline.

I've never seen low battery on the WS View app for the GW1000. I believe if it showed it then it might show up under More / Sensors ID. There I do see my PM2.5 batteries because those are NiCd rechargeable. I do know that if you have a display like the HP2551 then you can see the low battery warnings on it, but it doesn't show battery level. There really isn't much point in showing battery level. The battery is good for a few years if the station is sited properly and using solar and the super capacitor. You should change the battery out preemptively every 2 years or so if you want to be sure that your station never misses out on data. You could set up some alerts with some weather services to let you know the second that your station stops reporting for over 20 minutes (Ambientweather) or a couple of hours hours (AWEKAS).  WU used to have this feature but not sure if it still works. You can also set up your own notification if you use other software.

If you get a Meteobridge or make a Meteobridge and add the $160 one time license then yes you can immediately start uploading to Ambientweather.net. Another way is to get a WeatherBridge $145 from Ambient which is their version of the Meteobridge which already comes with the Ambientweather.net license (and also the Meteobridge license 60 Euros). If the Ambientweather.net license matters then the WeatherBridge is a less costly way of getting a Meteobridge up and running, but I think it might be difficult to order one if you are not in the US. If you make a Meteobridge you will need to add the standard Meteobridge license for 60 Euros in addition to the Ambientweather.net license if you want that feature.

* UPDATE - March 2020 - Ambientweather.net license for Meteobridge has new lower price, now just $100
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:58:46 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 03:38:46 AM »
I am not sure which sensors support low battery warning, but we know that the primary sensor array will do so and display on the console.
The air quality sensor does
The soil moisture one does (only seen it in the WS-View Sensor ID page though when it appeared with a red warning)
Its possible that they all do but some may only show in the Sensor ID page rather than being displayed in the primary data display
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything