Author Topic: WS-2000 vs WS-2902A - List of differences  (Read 26117 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
WS-2000 vs WS-2902A - List of differences
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:41:11 PM »
Updated: July 25, 2019

After owning both the WS-2000 and the WS-2902A for a few months and running them side by side I thought I could round up all the information learned and list most if not all of the differences in one post. I'm not sure I'll remember all of them but I'll give it a shot. Please feel free to add things I may have missed and I'll update this post for reference. As we get new firmware releases I'm sure there will be more differences. The point of this thread is only to point out differences. Things that they both do equally like they both report to WeatherCloud aren't the focus of this thread. It is worth noting for newbies that the outdoor sensor array is identical. You can get either display separately no matter which model you start with. You can even start with neither display like with the WS-1550-IP and add one or both of these displays. For some reason Ambient calls the WS-2000 display a display tablet....it is not portable like a tablet and it isn't touchscreen ...it requires AC power...so realistically they are both display consoles. I'm not really sure why it had to be called a tablet. I still call them both display consoles.

To be fair though the biggest immediately noticeable difference between these two is the display technology. The WS-2902A is a static LCD display with sections that can be lit up to create numbers, like an old digital clock. The different sections are colored by a film and thus the colors don't change. The WS-2000 on the other hand is a fully bit mapped Full Color TFT LCD display where every pixel can change color and the screen layout can be changed by firmware and is more adaptable to be customized. That is why it is capable of displaying full tables of data and full screen graphs. It is like your computer monitor or mobile device screen. Perhaps that is why the WS-2000 display console is called a tablet.

Some of these differences I also learned before owning the WS-2000 and can be found by reading the following thread that started around the time the WS-2000 launched:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34962.0
There is also lots of good information in other places. So here is my attempt to consolidate all the information learned:

The point of this thread is to realize that even though the WS-2000 is the more premium product, the WS-2902A still has some advantages that may appeal to some people. So the WS-2000 is not better in every way (but it almost is). The good news is you can have both displays running at the same time as I am doing.

WS-2902A Advantages (things the WS-2000 can't do or is inferior at)
  • Larger numbers that can be read from across the room, although viewing angle is limited. On the WS-2000 you can see from more angles but many numbers are too small to read unless up close.
  • doesn't require separate WH32B (or WS-1000-BTH) sensor as it is built in for temperature, humidity, barometer. Something less to have to deal with and not have to replace batteries in.
  • has a DST indicator on top of the time to indicate if you are currently in observance of Daylight Saving Time or not.
  • will keep receiving sensor data from outdoor array even when not powered on AC (screen turns off though but you can manually turn it on for a few secs on battery)....BUT it will not upload this data as the WiFi will be disabled, and since it doesn't have a built in log the only benefit is to see rain totals and min/max of other data. So this is pretty pointless...you'd be better off with a battery backup on the WS-2000 so that it continues to log internally and use WiFi if Internet is also working on battery backup. You could also run battery backup on the WS-2902A so that it keeps Internet connection.
  • retains daily min/max on power outage because of battery. But the WS-2000 retains all historical records and settings without a battery, the WS-2000 just looses daily on power outage. A UPS is always a solution though.
  • Has temperature & pressure trend indicators (rising, falling, stable)
  • it cost less

WS-2000 Advantages (things the WS-2902A doesn't have or is inferior at)
  • has ability to add more sensors; temperature, humidity, soil, PM2.5 (and lightning said to be coming in the future)
  • has nicer looking display that is able to be viewed at all angles (even though many numbers are smaller and unable to be read from distance)
  • all the live data is able to be viewed on the screen without need to press any buttons (at the sacrifice that numbers are smaller)
  • has indicator for WU and AmbientWeather.net reporting working and connected
  • has potential lighting indicator that turns on when dew point is 70F or higher.
  • has color changing rings for temperature and humidity changes
  • displays solar radiation down to tenths when below 1000 w/m2, where the WS-2902A only shows and rounds to whole numbers.
  • has built in graphs
  • has built in data tables
  • saves data to micro SD card
  • easier to connect to WiFi directly as it doesn't need a mobile device to set up
  • displays current time with seconds.
  • daily sunrise and sunset times
  • has sun location over horizon indicator
  • has more accurate moon phase indicator with more levels
  • more accurate barometric trend indicator
  • has yearly min/max (also has daily min/max), but only yearly min/max is retained on power outage.
  • Retains barometer calibration and other settings after power outage. The WS-2902A unfortunately forgets its barometric calibration and all Min Max records when you remove power and batteries as you would need to do when servicing the outdoor sensor array to not get false readings. This is annoying on the WS-2902A.
  • light and dark themes
  • automatic brightness and on/off adjustment schedule to custom times
  • automatic total yearly rain reset on January 1st (or any month you choose to be yearly reset). Yes the WS-2902A keeps Total counting forever unless you manually remember to reset it on January 1st.
  • easier to calibrate and set alarms
  • buttons on the WS-2000 can be used at night as they are labeled on the display and you can feel for them as they are physical buttons. The WS-2902A buttons are not visible at night so you are flying totally blind as the screen does not provide enough light to even see the buttons and they are not raised buttons so you can't feel for them either. This is a big deal because with the WS-2902A you need the buttons as all the data isn't visible at one time.
  • ability to roll forwards and backwards on Revision firmware versions. The WiFi firmware that doesn't seem to do much only goes forward. On the WS-2902A you can only go forward to the current newest version
  • the WS-2000 being the more premium model and ability to be easily customized will probably see more changes in the future...where as the WS-2902A is pretty much limited to what it does now
  • WS-2000 hardware seems like it is identical or very close to the WS-1001 hardware that was hacked and screen layout customized. Although I haven't seen this done yet on the WS-2000 it is promising if someone were to look into this as the method would probably be same/similar enough.

And Lastly I'll leave you with a nice side by side view of both:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:09:08 AM
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:06:38 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2000 vs WS-2902A - List of differences
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »
I have the WS-2902A and after researching til my eye's burned, I just ordered WS-2000 earlier today.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
I have the WS-2902A and after researching til my eye's burned, I just ordered WS-2000 earlier today.

Great, good choice. Hopefully you also remembered to get a WH32B which you'll need, unless you already had one from using an ObserverIP. The WS-1000-BTH also works but is an older model.

I also want to point out that the WS-2000 also connects to WeatherCloud as I mentioned before. People often miss this because it isn't mentioned in the manual, and there isn't a way to configure it on the display itself. The only way to configure WeatherCloud on the WS-2000 is to use the awnet mobile app. The awnet app also provides some extra functionality to turn WU off as that can't be don't on the display...even though you were able to enter the credentials on the display...once they are in there only a factory reset will take them out ...unless you use the awnet app, and then you can enable and disable.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:53:41 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »

Great, good choice. Hopefully you also remembered to get a WH32B which you'll need, unless you already had one from using an ObserverIP. The WS-1000-BTH also works but is an older model.

I also want to point out that the WS-2000 also connects to WeatherCloud as I mentioned before. People often miss this because it isn't mentioned in the manual, and there isn't a way to configure it on the display itself. The only way to configure WeatherCloud on the WS-2000 is to use the awnet mobile app. The awnet app also provides some extra functionality to turn WU off as that can't be don't on the display...even though you were able to enter the credentials on the display...once they are in there only a factory reset will take them out ...unless you use the awnet app, and then you can enable and disable.

Do believe it comes with the Indoor Thermo-Hygrometer-Barometer from Amazon. Would this be the WH32B ?
I am on Weather cloud now with my WS-2902a, so Im think that should remember how I did that, hopefully...
Can't wait to get the WS-2000 up and running.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
Being that you said you already owned a WS-2902A and you said you ordered the WS-2000 today as an upgrade, I thought you meant that you just got the WS-2000 display, not a whole new station. From just now having read your other post I now see that you did order a complete WS-2000 station because you want to use the WS-2902A at another location. So yes the WS-2000 complete station comes with the WH32B.
Tele-Pole

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
I just ordered the WS-2000, I was in another thread and could not decide.  But, reading this, it helped me decide. Will have it Sunday from Amazon.

Thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »
I Updated the first post in this thread to reflect that the WS-2000 with newest firmware 1.4.0 now gains some new abilities that were previously unique to the WS-2902A.

The WS-2000 now can:
  • display RF signal strength of outdoor sensor array and also signal strength of optional sensors.
  • display battery status of outdoor array and optional sensors. I think it only lights up when low battery as I don't see current status. I believe this is how the WS-2902A does this also for the outdoor sensor array.
  • Rain Rate now displayed on the display of the WS-2000. This is also referred to as instant rain rate. This for me was the only reason I kept the WS-2902A around and as my choice to use for publishing to WU. Since I've not had rain yet I don't know if this Rain Rate is only on the display or if it also changes the reporting method to WU. I'll update when I get some rain which should be any day now. UPDATE: Yes the method of uploading data for rain rate has changed to instant rain rate!  \:D/

See this for more information regarding rain rate methods
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36086.0

This seems like a great and important update. I've not explored it yet to see what other new undocumented features may be in there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:48:14 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »
The ws-2902 design is just terrible. Beside the impossible task of a smooth initial configuration (followed though by an impressive reliability) some decisions are just annoying. The angular power minijack is infuriating, the power brick cable is too short and have to be carried around if you want move the base in another room. Why not using a regular (probably chepear) widespread usb connector?
Plus they could have use the usb interface port to avoid all that IOT wireless configuration fiasco.
Oh and the stand is the most awkward overengineered solution to a simple problem i saw in a long time.
Beside that I love how flawless it works once configured and the ambientweather.net API are always being super responsive and rock solid.

Offline andyk1

• Contributor
    • Nicoma Park Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:42 PM »
Really good and impressive write up and review by galfert. Very easy purchasing decision.

Andy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »
I just updated the OP to include the following for the WS-2000:

• Retains barometer calibration and other settings after power outage. The WS-2902A unfortunately forgets its barometric calibration when you remove power and batteries as you would need to do when servicing the outdoor sensor array to not get false readings. This is annoying on the WS-2902A.

I don't know if the WS-2902A also forgets temperature and humidity calibrations as I didn't test that (I'm not needing to do those). But barometric calibration is something that I and many people work hard at getting just right. It's not something I want to have to redo because I need to do routine maintenance of the outdoor sensor. Some people may not mind the false readings and they keep the console powered up during maintenance ... But if you want to do it right you power down the console and pull the batteries to avoid the false positives. This is not an issue with the WS-2000.

You can't just pull the batteries from the outdoor sensor array because it has a super capacitor inside that you can't disconnect. Even if you cover the solar panel the super capacitor keeps it running and transmitting to the console.

Maybe if you had a large Faraday cage to put the WS-2902A console into (so it stays powered up) while servicing the outdoor sensor array then you could get around this headache.  :grin:

This is a major plus for the WS-2000. If I only had a WS-2902A I'd be really annoyed. But because I have one of each console I can easily use the WS-2000 put the barometric settings back into the WS-2902A.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:46:06 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »
The WS-2029 can easily converted to the WS-2000. Which at a later date will just get the new console and run both.

Offline coherent

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the review. Ordered the WS-2000. Ambient site $50 or so cheaper than Amazon and free shipping. They ship from Chandler AZ, so one day delivery for me here in AZ!  [tup]

Tired of being off the air since the Accurite 5in1 smarthub change screwed me over. That was my first and last Accurite purchase.  Hoping the Ambient system is an upgrade and fits my needs.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
WS-2902A is not able to display wind direction evolution on weathercloud, and will never be able to.

Can WS-2000 display wind direction evolution on weathercloud?

Regards

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
WS-2902A is not able to display wind direction evolution on weathercloud, and will never be able to.
I did not know that. I experienced what you said, that it doesn't work. But I thought it was problem on WeatherCloud side. Months later I switched to uploading with Meteobridge but I didn't realize right away that doing so fixed the wind distribution and speed tools.  I just thought that WeatherCloud fixed the problem. But I now realize that what fixed the problem was me switching to Meteobridge.

I don't know why you say that the WS-2902A never will be able to upload and have this wind distribution and speed tools work. Now that I realize it is a potential problem I'll be contacting Ambient/Fine Offset to get this fixed. If my data that originates from the Osprey sensor then goes to GW1000 and then Meteobridge can work then I don't see why it couldn't be fixed.

This probably means that this post link below of mine is wrong. Where I reported that the wind was finally working. I thought it was fixed by WeatherCloud.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37498.msg385814#msg385814

Can WS-2000 display wind direction evolution on weathercloud?

That is a good question. My initial thinking right now without testing is that the WS-2000 also probably doesn't work. I have just now begun testing. Results take 24 hours as it is basically a prior 24 hour report like function. So I'll report back unless someone already has a WS-2000 and can look.

But I suspect that the WS-2000 won't work because the code is probably the same as the WS-2902A upload code.
UPDATE: See below. The WS-2000 does work.

I did have a GW1000 uploading and I noticed that it too doesn't work with the GW1000. Therefore I think the upload code is wrong in all Fine Offset devices. After I have confirmation on the WS-2000 then I'll let you know and I'll definitely be reporting it so that it gets fixed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:48:59 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
I don't know why you say that the WS-2902A never will be able to.

Got that information from Lucy.

Regards

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
I have both and the WS-2000 does display wind direction in Evolution.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
I have both and the WS-2000 does display wind direction in Evolution.

Yes my test also confirms that the WS-2000 works correctly with WeatherCloud Wind direction and speed tool.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:34:34 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TommyRox

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »
All the information I needed - GREAT post!

Offline omta

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Hi , group I'm new to weather tracking . Im an old geezer but functioning pretty good.  I live on the east coast of Ma. and always was interested in Weather for obvious
     reasons.  I just bought my first weather station the Ambient WS -2902A its still in the box and after reading the comments I wonder if I should return it for the
        2000 or maybe just add another monitor (2000) can I operate both off the 2902A station?

Also not sure how too set up the station have some ideas but not sure what is the best way to go. I propose to set in in a open  field about sixty feet from my house
  which should do the trick based on the formula from Ambient .  I propose to attach the  station  to a 10' long ,one inch galvanized pole the problem is how to anchor it to the ground which is sand .  I was thinking about a cement block which has holes in it to cement the pipe in one of the holes then laying two blocks one on each side of
 the pole block then two blocks on top cross wise over the bottoms bocks and the pole block to anchor the pole block. I figured if this is possible not sure have to research more but if I can do this , the unit would be portable and I could move the unit if I have to . Not me personally but my two grandsons

Thanks for listening and suggestions would be greater appreciated
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:16:39 AM by omta »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »
Hi , group I'm new to weather tracking . Im an old geezer but functioning pretty good.  I live on the east coast of Ma. and always was interested in Weather for obvious
     reasons.  I just bought my first weather station the Ambient WS -2902A its still in the box and after reading the comments I wonder if I should return it for the
        2000 or maybe just add another monitor (2000) can I operate both off the 2902A station?
Welcome! Yes you can have both displays off the same sensor array.

Also not sure how too set up the station have some ideas but not sure what is the best way to go. I propose to set in in a open  field about sixty feet from my house
  which should do the trick based on the formula from Ambient .  I propose to attach the  station  to a 10' long ,one inch galvanized pole the problem is how to anchor it to the ground which is sand .  I was thinking about a cement block which has holes in it to cement the pipe in one of the holes then laying two blocks one on each side of
 the pole block then two blocks on top cross wise over the bottoms bocks and the pole block to anchor the pole block. I figured if this is possible not sure have to research more but if I can do this , the unit would be portable and I could move the unit if I have to . Not me personally but my two grandsons

Thanks for listening and suggestions would be greater appreciated
I suggest you read though some of the other posts. Perhaps even check out some of the pictures in the station pictures sub-board of this forum to get siting and mounting ideas. But I think you've probably got it. You may also want to look at this station siting recommendations document: https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf
Definitely consider routine maintenance in your mounting solution. You may need to clear the rain gauge of debris every so often, clear bugs and spiders and spiderwebs etc.
Tele-Pole

Offline davidsmartin

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 10:27:15 PM »
Is the 2902-C a better display than the old 2902A?  The price seems to have gone up by $40.

https://ambientweather.com/amws2902.html

Online Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 03:28:51 AM »
Is the 2902-C a better display than the old 2902A?  The price seems to have gone up by $40.

https://ambientweather.com/amws2902.html
Ambient say on their website "The WS-2902C features a dramatic redesign of the LCD display...."
see yourself
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
                                                        WS-2902 A/B                                                                                   WS-2902C (size is the same, only picture size is different)

If you consider this "new dramatic console design change" to be better  ... - I guess it's a matter of taste.
Functionality-wise there doesn't seem to be a significant difference to the Ecowitt WH2910 which is the same as the WS-2910B console (with 915 MHz and Ambient firmware).
Unless galfert knows better ...  8-)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:37:51 AM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
The layout difference is the obvious difference. I've not seen one in person. My curiosity is if they improved viewing angles which were not that great in the original design. Functionally the new model support some optional sensors (not all of them) but they will not show up on the display. These optional sensors will only show up on Ambientweather.net. The WS-2000/WS-5000 will support more optional sensors. Look up sensor compatibility for this model before deciding.

Tele-Pole

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »
"Please feel free to add things I may have missed and I'll update this post for reference. As we get new firmware releases I'm sure there will be more differences. The point of this thread is only to point out differences."

The WS 2902 has temperature trend indicators (rising, falling, stable) that are not on the WS 2000 and I miss.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:06:02 AM by G.Brown »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 11:07:08 AM »
"Please feel free to add things I may have missed and I'll update this post for reference. As we get new firmware releases I'm sure there will be more differences. The point of this thread is only to point out differences."

The WS 2902 has temperature trend indicators (rising, falling, stable) that are not on the WS 2000 and I miss.

Noted and updated. Thank you!
Tele-Pole

anything