Author Topic: Ground Anchor for guy wires to earth.  (Read 6852 times)

Offline weatherviewer

Ground Anchor for guy wires to earth.
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could use as a ground anchor for my guy wires? There is no cement I am going directly into the earth/soil. My weather station is about 2.5 Meters and is cemented into the ground.

This is the guy wire kit I am planning to purchase http://www.miamistainless.com.au/general-hardware/guy-wire-kit

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Ground Anchor for guy wires to earth.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
I personally don't like guy wires going direct to the ground at angles.  I think they create unnecessary obstructions and hazards.  If you have posts anywhere, try to use them.  Attach the guy wires above head height somewhere around 7'.  If not, consider setting some that can double as lamp posts or for plant hangars, bird feeders or houses, etc.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:31:29 PM »
I don't know if you have a Menards, Home depot or Lowes, but this is what you want:
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/yard-buildings-outdoor-storage-accessories/yard-building-accessories/3-x-30-earth-anchor/p-1444421179510.htm

they come in different lengths.  I have three that have held up my station for over 20 years now

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
I don't know if you have a Menards, Home depot or Lowes, but this is what you want:
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/yard-buildings-outdoor-storage-accessories/yard-building-accessories/3-x-30-earth-anchor/p-1444421179510.htm

they come in different lengths.  I have three that have held up my station for over 20 years now

I'm based down in Melbourne, Australia. I have seen them before, definitely much more expensive down here though and not as common to find online.

How difficult was it to get into the ground?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:48:50 AM »

Not at all.  You can put a stick or screw driver  in the hole and just screw it into the ground to the depth you want.  I have mine at ground level. 
I'm based down in Melbourne, Australia. I have seen them before, definitely much more expensive down here though and not as common to find online.

How difficult was it to get into the ground?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »
I bought this kit, although I did not use the rope. I just bought it for the anchors, and used steel cable instead. I have somewhat rocky soil but I was able to get them to "screw in" OK.

DX Engineering Guy Kits

Some of these Rohn kits have longer lengths.

Rohn Guy Kits

I have ordered a lot of Ham Radio gear from DX Engineering. Here is a link to international shipping info.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:32:08 AM »
Thanks for the help all, I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
So I've tracked down something similar here in Australia, they tend to go by the name of Trampoline Anchors here.

I'm wondering if this is going to be deep enough into the ground though, my weather station isn't going anywhere cemented firmly and the premise is to stop it shaking. I think these are about 13 inches long. Link to product: https://www.jumpstartrampolines.com.au/anchor-kit-for-all-size-trampoline-p-139.html

Thoughts?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:01:07 AM »
So I've tracked down something similar here in Australia, they tend to go by the name of Trampoline Anchors here.

I'm wondering if this is going to be deep enough into the ground though, my weather station isn't going anywhere cemented firmly and the premise is to stop it shaking. I think these are about 13 inches long. Link to product: https://www.jumpstartrampolines.com.au/anchor-kit-for-all-size-trampoline-p-139.html

Thoughts?
That will work. one they are down with the loop at ground level, they are not going anywhere.  I would use steel cable as you have with clamps, that won't go anywhere.    Enjoy.

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:06 AM »

Thoughts?
That will work. one they are down with the loop at ground level, they are not going anywhere.  I would use steel cable as you have with clamps, that won't go anywhere.    Enjoy.

Thanks Aardvark, I've got one other hurdle in which I am trying to find the easiest and cost effective solution. My mounting pole has no where to hook the wires up to.
I was thinking of using a Perforated screw hose clamp, attaching a pair of S-Hooks and tightening the clamp onto the pole. What do you think?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »
You may want to check with your homeowner's insurance company and see how they feel about having exposed trip/choke hazards.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
not bad idea.  How about Ubolts as well
Here might be some pictures of how I connected them.  I'd go out and snag some pictures for you, but it is a tad dark and dewy out
http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weatherlink/main-station.html

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »
You may want to check with your homeowner's insurance company and see how they feel about having exposed trip/choke hazards.

My guy wires are close to the station and the wires are not in the general pathway.  They are not "an attractive hazard"  such as a swimming pool, hot tub, fire pit, deck , etc. 

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:15 AM »
not bad idea.  How about Ubolts as well
Here might be some pictures of how I connected them.  I'd go out and snag some pictures for you, but it is a tad dark and dewy out
http://www.desmoinesweather.org/weatherlink/main-station.html

Not able to get a clear enough view of what your exact setup is with the image. Sorry.
Well perhaps I was a little understating when I said I had nothing to hook the wires to. My weather station currently has a U-Bolt mounting the unit to the pole.
I wonder if I would get away simply hooking my guy wires off of that, in-between the two U-bolts.

Here is an image:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:59:49 AM by weatherviewer »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
I had nothing to hook the wires to. My weather station currently has a U-Bolt mounting the unit to the pole.
I wonder if I would get away simply hooking my guy wires off of that, in-between the two U-bolts.

I've done that and it works OK.

Also see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-Guy-Wire-Ring-Clamp-3-Way-Screw-Eye-Bolt-Assembly-for-1-25-Mast-EZ-43-A-/391463703653?hash=item5b250e1465:g:HToAAOxy7nNTVm3Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leviton-Roof-Antenna-Guy-Wire-Ring-Clamp-Assembly-C5927-/351785470807?hash=item51e80c4b57:g:imcAAOSwezVWxPaT

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
I would also suggest you do something like this to help prevent any twist or slippage over time.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
You could get "guy rings". DX Engineering has them.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-gr-5p

They use a worm clamp to keep it from sliding down.

Greg H.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »

Greg H.

That is exactly what I have..  Definitely that is what you want. the stress is on the rings, the clamp and all.   

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 02:48:24 AM »

Greg H.

They definitely look ideal, I was planning on setting up the guy wires tomorrow. I can't seem to find anything here locally that is similar.

Another thought I had in mind was, purchasing two Metal Saddles (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-32mm-metal-saddle_p4330830 for both sides of the pole and screwing them together with a Eye bolt and then attaching the wires to that. What do you think? Or was attaching the guy wire to the U-bolt a better idea?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »

Greg H.

They definitely look ideal, I was planning on setting up the guy wires tomorrow. I can't seem to find anything here locally that is similar.

Another thought I had in mind was, purchasing two Metal Saddles (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-32mm-metal-saddle_p4330830 for both sides of the pole and screwing them together with a Eye bolt and then attaching the wires to that. What do you think? Or was attaching the guy wire to the U-bolt a better idea?

Does your local hardware store sell "floor flanges"? They are used to create handrails, etc. out of steel pipe. You might be able to find a size that would slip onto the mast. You might need to clear out the threaded internal diameter with a Dremel tool or similar.

I would also smooth out the screw holes so that the edges are rounded and would not tear up the guy rope.

This approach takes some work, and I have not tried this myself. You could still use the worm clamp to keep the flange from sliding down the mast. (I assume that you can get those in Australia).

Here is one example I found on the web:

Greg H.

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for your valuable input, it really is a fantastic and friendly forum.

I may have gone rogue here and in the end end I took some of the advice and sort of did my own DIY version of roping down my weather station (I'm definitely a newbie at DIY stuff). Anyway it seems really firm and solid, there is no slippage either with the worm clamp on the mast. I hope this will also end my issues with rainfall not being recorded due to the bucket not tipping at times, I think a lot of it was down to the amount of wobble the mast pole had. By the way those ground anchors worked a treat, thanks again.

Here are some pictures:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »
I wanted to thank you all for your valuable input, it really is a fantastic and friendly forum.

I may have gone rogue here and in the end end I took some of the advice and sort of did my own DIY version of roping down my weather station (I'm definitely a newbie at DIY stuff). Anyway it seems really firm and solid, there is no slippage either with the worm clamp on the mast. I hope this will also end my issues with rainfall not being recorded due to the bucket not tipping at times, I think a lot of it was down to the amount of wobble the mast pole had. By the way those ground anchors worked a treat, thanks again.

Here are some pictures:

Now that is professional :O

Offline weatherviewer

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 04:24:33 AM »

Here are some pictures:

Thanks Aardvark, bit of an over statement don't you think? haha!  :lol:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »

Here are some pictures:

Thanks Aardvark, bit of an over statement don't you think? haha!  :lol:

I have to feather my nest, if Trump gets in, I might need a friend in the Outback  to help me move in.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
Nice job  =D>

My only concern would be the use of the hose-clamp. Over time you may find that the hose-clamp loosens or stretches with constant tension on it. You might want to think about using a U-bolt in place of the hose-clam. That would eliminate the chance of the clamp coming loose. Otherwise, you've done a great job!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything