Author Topic: Meteobridge for WS-100x weather stations  (Read 7754 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Meteobridge for WS-100x weather stations
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
As you might know the Ambient weather observer models WS-100x don't have a direct option to connect to your PC but can upload data directly through your WiFi Internet access to Weather Underground. When you don't need a console, you can even drop this and use a small Ethernet-based IP bridge, that receives RF data from the stations sensors and uploads that to Weather Underground. Configuration of the bridge is done by a web interface.

When we did some thinking how to make use of this station for our Meteobridge and Meteohub product, we came across using the Meteostick receiver (small USB stick like RF device, which was originally developed to read Davis Vantage RF sensor data) to directly read RF data from the outdoor sensor array of the weather observer station. I am proud to say, that we were successful in this.

As a result Meteobridges and Meteohubs equipped with a Meteostick can now read the outdoor sensor array data without the need for a console or the IP bridge. The Meteobrides differentiate from the IP bridge provided by the station manufacturer by a large list of additional options:
- more weather networks
- WU rapid fire support
- FTP upload to own servers
- twitter support
- template replacements with weather variables
- email sending with weather data included and triggered by individually defined events
- WiFi and Ethernet operation
- weather cam upload via FTP
- annotation of weather cam images with weather data (individually designable)
- ...and much more I don't want to bore you with.

So when you like the WS-100x devices, but want more options to handle the data without powering up your PC (which also can't directly get the data from the station), you might give "wiki.meteobridge.com" a short reading. Ambientweather is also selling a WS-100x Meteobridge/Meteostick bundle (they call it Airbridge) fully licensed, ready to go.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:26:00 PM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline quietminded

Re: Meteobridge for WS-100x weather stations
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
I just this past week bought the 1200 AirBridge unit, and have to tell you I couldn't be more happy. I was up and running within an hour, posting to WU; PWS and weatherbug. Thank you Ambient Weather.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
I already have the WS-1001 and I'm very happy with it. It has had some wifi connectivity issues but Ambient Weather has been working with it with way above average support.

I found the bridge is also available as a standalone product.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

I might consider this product in the future. Is the product shown all that is needed for the WS-1001? Does it connect to a router via wifi or does it require an ethernet connection?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 05:02:36 AM »
When you have the WS-1001 then you would need the Meteobridge plus a Meteostick. Ambient is selling it as "Airbridge": http://www.ambientweather.com/airbridge.html

The Meteobridge can directly connect to most of the better weather stations via USB, but the WS-1001 is not providing
console PC connection, so it needs the Meteostick to pick-up RF directly from the outdoor sensor array. Indoor sensor
of WS-1001 that provides air pressure is not needed and not evaluated, the Meteostick has a quality pressure sensor from Bosch onboard.

The Meteobridge has WiFi included, so you can free it from the Ethernet cable after you have done the initial setup and configured
WiFi credentials. As it picks up sensor data via RF and connects to your LAN by WiFi, you can locate it somewhere, where
RF and WiFi reception is best. It does not need a cable connection to anything... apart from mains, where it consumes 1-2 watts ;-)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:07:53 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
Thanks, this is a good explanation. One thing I don't see on that page is whether the Meteostick is included. They have a pull down for 'usbstick' but that is described as just a flash drive. Is Meteostick bought separately? Are there any online manuals for these items?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »
In Ambient terminology the "Airbridge" includes the Meteostick, but the "Weatherbridge" is without the Meteostick.

You find more Details/Links about the used components Meteobridge and Meteostick on "www.smartbedded.com"

Offline sharadaprasad

• Akshayanagar Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:00:15 AM »
Ambient Weather 1400-IP already has a wireless receiver bundled along - http://www.ambientweather.com/amobserverip.html Sadly, ObserverIP uploads data only to Wunderground.

Can I skip using Meteostick and interface ObserverIP with meteobridge so that I can send the data to other websites too?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »
No, at the moment. It would need me to get a grip to an ObserverIP and some time to understand how to drag data from it.

Offline sharadaprasad

• Akshayanagar Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »
But if Observer IP can be intercepted by meteobridge, then Ambient Weather 1400-IP will be the cheapest setup.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
Because of recent mention, I am bumping this to the top of the list

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
Hello,

I recently purchased the Ambient Weather WS-1001 WIFI which connects only to Wunderground.  Since it worked very well out of the box without using anything other than the station console I was very pleased.

Now that its working I wanted to send my data to other weather networks and create my own website too.

My solution was to add the ObserverIP module and build a Meteobridge (less costly method).   This setup has been working great so far. 

I currently let the the WIFI console send data to WUnderground but use the Meteobridge to send to all the other weather networks successfully.
I've been able to send emails with hourly updates and push FTP data to my website I created.

All in all its been fun getting everything going and finally being part of the community.

I found this link which shows the many methods how to use the Ambient Weather 1001, 1200 , 1400

http://www.ambientweather.com/amweobsefeco.html

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:39:44 PM by StatenIslandWeather »
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
Hello,

Just an update and don't mean to hijack the thread.  All the information has been very helpful, thank you.

I currently have the WS-1001 Wifi connected to an IP Observer and Meteobridge to forward all the data to most weather services.  I recently added Meteoplug so I can link to graphs on my website (Saragota).   Would the Airbridge offer any benefit to me in my current configuration?

Also I don't have any weather software program.  It seems most of the top Weather software programs don't support the Ambient WS1001.  However, now that the data is stored on many services any recommendations on which route to use to view historical trends?

Thanks, Tom

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
Can your station be connected to a PC? WU also shows you history data.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »
Can your station be connected to a PC? WU also shows you history data.

The WS-1xxxx's are not PC capable but easily connect to WU which is the benefit of the series. 

Adding a Meteobridge and Meteoplug enable the Ambient to send data to the weather services plus other great features.  I'm just trying to figure out the next piece.

Thanks

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 06:04:37 AM »
If you have meteobridge then this allows you to upload the conditions to any server in addition to just sending data to WU. It is then up to you what exactly you want to do with it. But with MB you can quite easily create your own webpage if you are not satisfied with what WU etc. offers (which does not surprise me :D)

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:27 AM »
Hello,

Just an update and don't mean to hijack the thread.  All the information has been very helpful, thank you.

I currently have the WS-1001 Wifi connected to an IP Observer and Meteobridge to forward all the data to most weather services.  I recently added Meteoplug so I can link to graphs on my website (Saragota).   Would the Airbridge offer any benefit to me in my current configuration?

Also I don't have any weather software program.  It seems most of the top Weather software programs don't support the Ambient WS1001.  However, now that the data is stored on many services any recommendations on which route to use to view historical trends?

Thanks, Tom
You have a weather website where the data is uploaded to by a weather-program: Meteobridge.
Meteobridge is a very capable weather-software-program also.  In my own template I support 12 different weather-programs and MB is one of them, As good as the others.

The question is: What do you want more, so what are you missing now? What exactly do you want to install when you say:
which route to use to view historical trends?
Examples which could be implemented:
WeatherUnderground graphs?  => wxwugraphs => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxleuven.php?p=wu_graphs
WeatherUnderground historical tables?  => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxleuven.php?p=wu_history
WeatherUnderground colored tables?  => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxStartReports.php

There are so many pages floating around, if you just supply the URL of such a page someone will know where to find the script. Most often there is a credit leading to the author on the bottom also.

Wim

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
Or you could actually use my template, which also supports Meteobridge and since it keeps its own database (which you can also import directly from WU for your already existing data) and then it generates all sorts of graphs, tables etc. If interested you can have a look at www.meteotemplate.com. Another advantage is that you do not rely on WU, which is sometimes not 100% reliable. In my template you have your own database on your own server and you can do whatever you like (and of course still continue sending data to WU, but MB can do this simultaneously)

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »
Or you could actually use my template, which also supports Meteobridge and since it keeps its own database (which you can also import directly from WU for your already existing data) and then it generates all sorts of graphs, tables etc. If interested you can have a look at www.meteotemplate.com. Another advantage is that you do not rely on WU, which is sometimes not 100% reliable. In my template you have your own database on your own server and you can do whatever you like (and of course still continue sending data to WU, but MB can do this simultaneously)
@yachym
StatenIslandWeather has already a full functioning website using Meteobridge => http://statenislandweather.net/  He has made his own pages with graphs and so on and is building and enhancing without having questions about that.

Yes, he could switch to other templates. But that is not his question, I think.

Otherwise you should also mention Leuven- and the WU-template.  They all have pro's and con's.

Wim

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
Aha, ok sorry I did not see that, I thought he only has WU and wants to create a website. I did not mention your template purely because you already mentioned it above as well as Saratoga. Otherwise I always mention all of them  ;)

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:54 PM »
Hello,

Thanks, Tom
You have a weather website where the data is uploaded to by a weather-program: Meteobridge.
Meteobridge is a very capable weather-software-program also.  In my own template I support 12 different weather-programs and MB is one of them, As good as the others.

The question is: What do you want more, so what are you missing now? What exactly do you want to install when you say:
which route to use to view historical trends?
Examples which could be implemented:
WeatherUnderground graphs?  => wxwugraphs => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxleuven.php?p=wu_graphs
WeatherUnderground historical tables?  => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxleuven.php?p=wu_history
WeatherUnderground colored tables?  => http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxStartReports.php

There are so many pages floating around, if you just supply the URL of such a page someone will know where to find the script. Most often there is a credit leading to the author on the bottom also.

Wim

Thank you for the info Wim.
I like the colored tables template will work on that.  I'm realizing how powerful the meteobridge is and its been working very well for me.

As for what am I missing.  I know the meteobridge can send mysql to a database, which I did create while trying another template.  However since I'm not a programmer I don't have expertise in pulling and manipulating the data to form graphs, etc.  I think I'm trying to re-invent the wheel.  All of this looks to have been done already, just have to find whats right for me.

And your right there is a ton of info available and everyone has been supportive, its appreciated!

Tom

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies Jachym. 
I may try your template on a secondary site since I now have all up and running.

Regards, Tom
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Hi Tom,
sure, actually most people who use my template have two websites and it is not meant to replace Wim's or Ken's, but rather be an alternative, which in some ways is different and so the ideal is to use a combination of "both worlds" :-)

If you have any problems or questions feel free to ask, or if you want I am happy to install you the entire template if you want (I do it on average several times a week to people who find it difficult to actually set up the mysql etc.). Everything is described in the wiki and you have the advantage of using meteobridge, which is probably the easiest to set up, because you don't need to bother with any cron jobs etc. - MB has this built in.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
You may already know this, but I'll mention anyway.  I, too, was concerned that there was no computer programs for the WS-1001.  But checking with Ed at Ambient, he said there is the free EasyWeather program downloadable from the Ambient site.  The WS-1001 will auto-populate the program with data. Earlier reviewers said you needed to use a SD card to move data from the console to the computer.  But this is an updated program that allows direct downloads to your computer. I've downloaded the program but haven't yet hooked it up to the WS-1001 that I do not own yet, but hoping Santa will bring it.

This unit will replace a failing 8-year old Vantage Vue system.

Hello,

Thanks, Tom

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »
You may already know this, but I'll mention anyway.  I, too, was concerned that there was no computer programs for the WS-1001.  But checking with Ed at Ambient, he said there is the free EasyWeather program downloadable from the Ambient site.  The WS-1001 will auto-populate the program with data. Earlier reviewers said you needed to use a SD card to move data from the console to the computer.  But this is an updated program that allows direct downloads to your computer. I've downloaded the program but haven't yet hooked it up to the WS-1001 that I do not own yet, but hoping Santa will bring it.

-------------------------

Hello,
I downloaded EasyWeather 3.0 for PC and installed it. 

For some reason I'm only able to select one of two IP addresses (192.168.1.8 or 192.168.56.1) neither of which finds the 1001 Weather Station. 

The download did says BETA so its possible its not fully functional yet.

I also tried version 8.0 but that looks for a USB connection.  I tried connecting the Display unit to the PC but it only shows the file structure and Easy weather didn't discover the unit.

If they do get it working it would be nice to have a local program to run.

Tom

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »

-------------------------

Hello,
I downloaded EasyWeather 3.0 for PC and installed it. 

For some reason I'm only able to select one of two IP addresses (192.168.1.8 or 192.168.56.1) neither of which finds the 1001 Weather Station. 

The download did says BETA so its possible its not fully functional yet.

I also tried version 8.0 but that looks for a USB connection.  I tried connecting the Display unit to the PC but it only shows the file structure and Easy weather didn't discover the unit.

If they do get it working it would be nice to have a local program to run.

Tom

Contact Ambient Weather through any of the following.  While I don't own any Ambient products yet, I've found Ed there very responsive to questions I've had...

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Phone Hours:
Mon - Thurs: 8am to 3pm
Arizona Time

Sales:
480-346-3380

International:
480-346-3380

Accounts Receivable & Payable:
480-346-3385

Se Habla Espańol:
480-346-3387