Author Topic: Ambient 2080A-Wind Direction and Wind Speed not working  (Read 2066 times)

Offline MikeyTahoe

Ambient 2080A-Wind Direction and Wind Speed not working
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
I bought my 8 year old son the Ambient Weather Station 2080A for Christmas. I have it setup in the backyard within range of the of the receiver/display. Everything seems to be working correctly except the wind speed and direction. I have gone through the menu and changed it to read gusts only per some suggestions and still nothing etc.. We live on the eastern slope of the Sierra Mountain Range in Nevada and get up to 100MPH gusts a few times a year. If there is one thing I would love to have it's the wind speed and direction. I am not sure if I missed something in the setup. The phone cord is plugged in, nothing obvious. I have read where sometimes pieces internally can break during shipping. Would love to figure this out. My son loves weather and checks is multiple times a day.

Mike

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Ambient 2080A-Wind Direction and Wind Speed not working
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
Hi Mike. You probably tried the obvious but I'll suggest it anyway. With all the cables in place pull the batteries in the outdoor sensor and the console so everything is powered down. Replace the batteries (measuring at least 1.5v each) in the outdoor sensor first, then after a couple minutes replace the console batteries. Let the console come completely up and finish it's search for the sensor before pressing any buttons on it.

Dan

Offline MikeyTahoe

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Thank you, I will give it a shot.

Offline MikeyTahoe

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
no luck does not register direction or speed.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
On the RJ-11 connector end that plugs into the 'Wind" jack of the thermo/hygro sensor you could try seating the contacts. Lay the connector on something firm for support with the gold contacts facing up. Take a razor knife blade (exacto-knife) and use the blade's backside (dull) to firmly press the contacts down into each wire. This is where the connector gets crimped on initially and I've seen where they can become intermittent. You could also look inside the thermo/hygro sensor's 'Wind" jack to verify the connector wires are straight, not touching each other, etc.