Author Topic: connection to computer  (Read 2417 times)

Offline wallawallaron

connection to computer
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »
Greetings one and all,

This might be a dumb question but here goes.  When I connect my ws console to (lets say a laptop) all the data is transferred  via whichever software program one chooses?

When one disconnect the console from the laptop the ws stops sending information to the computer?

In order to see current weather information on the laptop out in the field via say wunderground,the console has to be connected to another computer to display current conditions.  If the console is not connected to a computer then the only information one would see on a site like wu would be what was last updated via the console.

Trying to understand it all.

Thanks for the education.

WWR

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
Re: connection to computer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
You have to have a datalogger. I say all the answers to your questions are YES. How is the data going to be updated if its not connected to anything? Alot of us use Weather Display. Are you wanting to leave a computer on 24/7? My WX PC is a laptop for the time being and it's running 24/7 with the lid closed. I connect to it remotely using Team Viewer.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline wallawallaron

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
You have to have a datalogger. I say all the answers to your questions are YES. How is the data going to be updated if its not connected to anything? Alot of us use Weather Display. Are you wanting to leave a computer on 24/7? My WX PC is a laptop for the time being and it's running 24/7 with the lid closed. I connect to it remotely using Team Viewer.

Ryan,
Thanks for the reply. My only computer is my apple laptop.  I plan on leaving it on 24/7.  Just wanted to know what would happen when I take the laptop with me and un plug the ws console.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
There are ways to connect the weather station to upload to WU and other sites, etc. without a computer and that is the Davis WeatherlinkIP and other devices which are discussed here on the forum.

Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Just wanted to know what would happen when I take the laptop with me and un plug the ws console.
  If your connection is from the console to your computer via the weather station's special USB or serial cable/datalogger (which would also provide the datalogging while your computer is not on or not connected) then when you restart or connect your computer and run your weather software the datalogger will send the saved data from the time of last connected to your computer which can then be uploaded to WU, etc.  This USB/Serial direct connection to the computer is likely the most common and alternate to the IP version or other similar router connection.

Paul

Offline wallawallaron

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
Thank you Paul,

That explains it.  I will be using the USB connection at the moment from the console.

WWR

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »
There are ways to connect the weather station to upload to WU and other sites, etc. without a computer and that is the Davis WeatherlinkIP and other devices which are discussed here on the forum.

Paul

Shows how much I know!  :-(

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »
WeatherLink IP won't work for Ron, as he's using the Ambient WS1080. I mentioned to him in his other thread about using Ambient's bridge device, but he is on a strict budget, and the bridge cost half again what his station cost. Ron, when you said you were going to leave the station on all the time, I guess I thought you understood I meant the USB has to be connected as well. If it isn't plugged in, you can't get current conditions. As Paul said, once you plug it in again, it will fill in the data from the data logger.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:53:12 PM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline wallawallaron

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
Thanks Steve,

I guess I did understand what you said but just had to re hash it through my  ](*,).

This is all new to me and I do thank all that respond to my simple questions.  Never have had a background RE: computers other then the very basic stuff.

I am very excited to learn how to get all up and running.  Would love to have a web page with the weather from my area so all can see.  One step at a time.

Working at putting my WS together and hope to have it running by this coming weekend.

WWR

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
For about $100 bucks you can get a Meteobridge and see your weather 24/7/365 without a computer.  I have (currently) a WS1080 clone and Meteobridge  keeps it connected to WU as well as other weather sites.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!