Author Topic: Lightning protection  (Read 2566 times)

Offline citizenken

Lightning protection
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:34 PM »
I realized after I installed my station up on the roof that I might be at risk for a lightning strike with an 8' to 9' metal pole rising above my roof line. It's not the highest point in the neighborhood in close proximity to our house (we have trees and power lines that are much higher), but it makes me nervous. What do the rest of you do? Run a ground wire? I can get fiberglass antenna poles from a HAM friend. Maybe I'll try those? Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
KL

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Lightning protection
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »
I realized after I installed my station up on the roof that I might be at risk for a lightning strike with an 8' to 9' metal pole rising above my roof line. It's not the highest point in the neighborhood in close proximity to our house (we have trees and power lines that are much higher), but it makes me nervous. What do the rest of you do? Run a ground wire? I can get fiberglass antenna poles from a HAM friend. Maybe I'll try those? Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
KL

There are numerous threads here about the pros and cons of grounding equipment.  I don't think there's a consensus yet. (if the put all the members in a line they still wouldn't reach a conclusion!)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:26:38 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:42 AM »
What do the rest of you do? Run a ground wire?

Install a ground wire, of at least #6 awg to an 8' ground rod.

Using a mast of a normally non conductive (fiberglass, pvc, wood etc become conductive when lightning is involved) material just makes it impossible to drain the voltage potential.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
The basic idea behind grounding a roof mount mast is to give lightning an easier path to ground. A direct strike will follow the #6 ground wire and minimize the structural damage that would otherwise occur without a ground.

You will not  be able to "avoid" a strike by not grounding the mast.

If you want to be code compliant, the mast earth ground should be bonded to the house electrical wiring ground system.

CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
The basic idea behind grounding a roof mount mast is to give lightning an easier path to ground. A direct strike will follow the #6 ground wire and minimize the structural damage that would otherwise occur without a ground.

You will not  be able to "avoid" a strike by not grounding the mast.

If you want to be code compliant, the mast earth ground should be bonded to the house electrical wiring ground system.

You'll get the pros and cons of all the different methods. But, if you get a lightning strike, you'll stand a better chance of getting your insurance company to cover your loss if you're code compliant.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:09:37 PM by Jim18655 »