Author Topic: Scaled Instruments conversion Help  (Read 711 times)

Offline WX4GPS

• North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
Scaled Instruments conversion Help
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
I ordered a handful of parts based on the diagram at https://www.scaledinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/24hr_fars_Exploded_Diagram.pdf

and now that I got the items, I was just looking everything over, and I dont understandfan the deflector 7342.504 7342.508 insulators, the 7353.065 board to mount temp/hum, and the 7345.023 screen at bottom.  I ordered the extra plates so I had the same number in the diagram.  nothing mount to anything to "hold" anything in place.

I then scowered for instructions and found:  https://www.scaledinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/R-DFARS_Conversion_V1.2.pdf

and there is no mention of assembly of any of these parts

Cannot find anyone showing theirs taken apart with any of these parts either....
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline WX4GPS

Re: Scaled Instruments conversion Help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »
It appears there is something they do not list when I look at a cross section on Davis site.
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
Eric

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
I should have asked what you are starting with; a passive radiation shield, a daytime fan aspirated radiation shield (DFARS), or a factory supplied 24 Hr fan aspirated radiation shield (24Hr FARS). If you are starting with anything other than a factory supplied 24 Hr FARS then I don't think you would have a welded core unless you ordered one.   It looks like the DFARS to 24Hr FARS gets you part way to the factory supplied 24Hr FARS but not the entire way.  It seems like the kit omits the welded core and the associated parts that would require the welded core.  Without the welded core, the insulated sleeve p/n 7342.508 will have no where to sit.  The screen p/n 7345.023 will also have no where to go since it attaches to the bottom of the welded core.  Please note that the picture of the welded core in the previous link is upside down.  The picture has the core sitting on it's top where the fan and the batteries are mounted.  The presence of the welded core is not clear in the linked 24HR FARS exploded view because the lower tube is obscured by the caps p/n 7342.236.  I started with a factory supplied 24HR FARS so I haven't attempted any conversions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:35:56 PM by CamarilloWX »
Eric

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »
Cannot find anyone showing theirs taken apart with any of these parts either....
Like he said. Your post is too vague. What VP2 do you have? Passive, DFARS, or 24hr shield and what are you trying to accomplish?

anything