Author Topic: How long will a VP2 last mine is not right.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
How long will a VP2 last mine is not right.
« on: June 23, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
I have had mine for 7-8 years and i have noticed that the Anemometer does not always show that the wind is blowing. Anyone ever seem that issue? Not sure why sometimes it shows it and other times it does not it is spinning just fine.

A new one cost around $100 i'm not sure if i would be better of just buying a hole new wireless VP2 can you buy them without the console as mine still works.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: How long will a VP2 last mine is not right.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 04:20:16 PM »
Yes, the complete outside assembly (ISS) can be purchased.
And that would have the new style anemomrter, rain bucket and tipping spoon[size=78%]. [/size]

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
Is it worth buying or should i replace the whole thing? Does anyone sell the 6152 without the console.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
Is it worth buying or should i replace the whole thing? Does anyone sell the 6152 without the console.

Yes it's a 6322 or just replace the anemometer 6410 which will be the updated version of your old anemometer, 7-8 years for an anemometer is reasonable depending on the environmental factors 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
Don't know where you are located but in the states Davis offers a refurbishment program. I think the cost is $175 dollars. What you do is send everything to Davis. They refurbish or replace  what ever it needs. Turn around time is about 2 weeks from the time you send it till you get it back. You also have to pay shipping costs to and from Davis along with any insurance if you want that. Basically you get back a completely updated system including the console. Mine was about your age when I sent it in.
Contact Davis for instructions if you want to do this. Kind of a no brainer really but it's up to you.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 05:07:48 PM »

Yes it's a 6322 or just replace the anemometer 6410 which will be the updated version of your old anemometer, 7-8 years for an anemometer is reasonable depending on the environmental factors

Thanks for that info, i have the 6152 model. Do you know what all has changed since then? The rain collector has obviously changed.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 05:46:57 PM »

Thanks for that info, i have the 6152 model. Do you know what all has changed since then? The rain collector has obviously changed.

The 6152 is a complete station being a 6322 ISS + 6312 VP2 Console. The 6322 unit as installs outside, ISS board won't be much different at all, anemometer will be the latest modular version, rain collector should be the tipping spoon and the Temp/humidity will be an updated version.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »

The 6152 is a complete station being a 6322 ISS + 6312 VP2 Console. The 6322 unit as installs outside, ISS board won't be much different at all, anemometer will be the latest modular version, rain collector should be the tipping spoon and the Temp/humidity will be an updated version.

Where are you finding that info? I found the 6322 model but it does not go into details about the anemometer version, rain collector version etc

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »

Where are you finding that info? I found the 6322 model but it does not go into details about the anemometer version, rain collector version etc
If your VP2 is still all original, your rain gauge mechanism will have the old dual spoon design vs the new single spoon design, and the rain collector is now a new "aerocone" design. Your temp/humidity sensor will be an SHT11 vs SHT31, and your anemometer may or may not be the newer design, you can tell by merely looking at it.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:45 PM »

Any difference between what you have and "current" version may come down to where you source a replacement from based on what old stock they are having to off load?

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »

Any difference between what you have and "current" version may come down to where you source a replacement from based on what old stock they are having to off load?

That is why i don't know how to be sure you are getting the newest upgrades, The pics they show are old and the only thing new i see is the rain collector.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »

That is why i don't know how to be sure you are getting the newest upgrades, The pics they show are old and the only thing new i see is the rain collector.
You can't NOT know. Everything is easily verifiable by just looking. Use Ryan here and he'll tell you everything you want to know...including if you want to simply buy "parts".

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:56 PM »
I have replaced my anny two or three times in over 10 years. If it is just the anny-do that.
Also have done a refurb.

If you do have to replace anything else-Scaled instruments is the way to go.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »

You can't NOT know. Everything is easily verifiable by just looking. Use Ryan here and he'll tell you everything you want to know...including if you want to simply buy "parts".

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

You can NOT see it from a picture and even if you could you might get the older parts. The anemometer looks the same as my 8 year old one someone said that has been updated, the rain collector can not fully be seen, is it the same as mine or the new tipping spoon.

I don't want old stock.

Would be great if the sellers could put that info in the details.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:39:21 AM by Tazz 316 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »
I don't want old stock.

You're getting overly concerned about this. The anemometer design was changed - from memory - in 2013/14. Do you really think that sellers should be describing something as new when it's 6-7 years' old? There's maybe a period of 6 months or so after an updated product is released when there may be a mixture of old and new in the supply chain (remember that Davis can have substantial stocks of some parts at the factory and may still be shipping the previous part to resellers even after a new part has been announced). But provided you purchase from a well-known reseller whose stock is turning over frequently then you'll get parts that are as new as Davis may be shipping from the factory/
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »

You can NOT see it from a picture and even if you could you might get the older parts. The anemometer looks the same as my 8 year old one someone said that has been updated, the rain collector can not fully be seen, is it the same as mine or the new tipping spoon.

I don't want old stock.

Some folks have given you some excellent advice....contact Ryan at Scaled Instruments.  There's an "old" and a "new" style of anemometer and Ryan will walk you through what you need.  If it is only your anemometer is a problem then just replace it, no need to replace the entire system.  Ryan is a very good person and runs a respected business...that is why several folks have recommended him to you. 

You can sit there and twist in the wind or you can get your system squared away.  Your choice.  [tup]

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/anemometer-parts/davis-7345-999-pro2-anemometer-wind-speed-cartridge/

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 09:58:21 AM »
Btw, when you do take your anemometer down and remove the cartridge from the assembly spin it with your fingers.  What I found with mine was that at times it would spin freely (no problems) but on another spin it would suddenly lock down hard.  Seems that something inside the cartridge had fallen out of "spec" and abruptly stopping the spinning.  Kind of like poking a stick into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel. 

Here is a good thread with input from several folks that have done the anemometer cartridge replacement...  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28845.0

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »
Thanks for the help but i may have found the issue.

How much does bird poop affect it? It seems if i spin it by hand it will read. One of the cups has poop all over it.  :roll:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 04:18:46 PM »
Btw, when you do take your anemometer down and remove the cartridge from the assembly spin it with your fingers.  What I found with mine was that at times it would spin freely (no problems) but on another spin it would suddenly lock down hard
I had the exact same experience, I think the bearing(s) become jacked. New sixteen dollar speed cartridge took care of that problem.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
Btw, when you do take your anemometer down and remove the cartridge from the assembly spin it with your fingers.  What I found with mine was that at times it would spin freely (no problems) but on another spin it would suddenly lock down hard
I had the exact same experience, I think the bearing(s) become jacked. New sixteen dollar speed cartridge took care of that problem.
True but a better quality speed cartridge would solve that problem. Seems like there are too many issues like this.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
This anemometer he has would not be the "new" cartridge type design so there is a bit of cross reference confusion coming into this now?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
This anemometer he has would not be the "new" cartridge type design so there is a bit of cross reference confusion coming into this now?
Do we know this as fact? If so, then the new cart will indeed not work. Only the op knows for sure...

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »
Do we know this as fact? If so, then the new cart will indeed not work. Only the op knows for sure...

Well he did state it was 7-8 years old, so no there would probably be no chance of it being a new cartridge type?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »

Well he did state it was 7-8 years old, so no there would probably be no chance of it being a new cartridge type?
Well, according to member "johnd", who knows Davis as well as anybody states above that the new design was from ~2013/14, so probably it is the older one...but who knows? The OP.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 06:02:25 AM »
Simplest thing is just to look at the anemometer to see whether it's old or new

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything