Author Topic: RG202 4" rain gauge prices?  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
RG202 4" rain gauge prices?
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
I see Ambient has two entries for this item - one as Stratus for $30, the other as CoCoRaHS for $23. Does the lower price include an obligation to join the CoCoRaHS 'team' or is it optional?

As it is, I don't think I would have enough active memory cells to maintain my end of it but wouldn't mind having another $7 to toss in the Boltek wish jar.

TIA for any info.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline port1

• Forecaster
Re: RG202 4" rain gauge prices?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »
You're not obligated to join, but it's supposed to be discounted for CoCoRaHS volunteers and hence the lower price.
You should join up.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to enter the data.  Takes less than a minute.
I do it every morning.
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »
I found that WEATHERYOURWAY  was a little bit cheaper  (http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/store.html)

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »
As far as pricing of the same items I quote from Ambient's site.

Question
Why are there two or more prices (and listings) for the same product?
Answer
Ambient Weather ships direct from our own warehouse as well as multiple distributors. Thus, you may find the same product listed twice or more on our website.

With distributors, you may find a lower price because we do not have to stock the item, and therefore, accept lower margins.

Our recommendation? Order at the lowest price, granted it is in stock. Note that it may take an extra 1-3 days when shipped from one of our distributors vs. our own warehouse in Tempe, AZ. Reference the product page. If it states "Generally leaves the warehouse in 1-3 days" for example, it ships from one of our distributors. If there is no such statement, then it ships from our warehouse and leaves the same or following business day.

Thus, you may consider paying a little extra to reduce the overallshipping time.

Note there are no differences in our return policy (30 days for most items) or the factory warranty (1 year for most items).

You may find slightly different descriptions based on the information provided by our distributors.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:09:15 AM »
You're not obligated to join, but it's supposed to be discounted for CoCoRaHS volunteers and hence the lower price.
You should join up.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to enter the data.  Takes less than a minute.
I do it every morning.
 8-)

Henry

That's what I thought and I don't like the idea of taking advantage of an offer like that if I'm not planning on participation. Those folks are good enough to give a break to volunteers. I would feel sneaky, if you know what I mean.

I had looked at it over the summer of '07 and decided the daily commitment at the unGodly hours (7AM +/- 2 hours) for mapping wouldn't cut it at this point in time.  :lol: Perhaps somewhere down the road.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

I had looked at it over the summer of '07 and decided the daily commitment at the unGodly hours (7AM +/- 2 hours) for mapping wouldn't cut it at this point in time.  :lol: Perhaps somewhere down the road.

Do not worry about the early morning requirements, just pick a time that is convenient to you.  Consistency is more important than the actual time.   CoCoRaHS would love all people to report at exactly 7AM, but this is not a perfect world.  If you report after 9AM your data is still recorded, but your station will not show up on their maps.

... from the CoCoRaHS FAQ's:
Do I have to check my rain gauge at 7am? No, but we would prefer it if you did. If you check your gauge at other times, your data may not be directly comparable to other data. If you check your gauge at night, your data will be in our reports but won't show up on our maps. We only map data that is collected within two hours of 7am.

Your data is important, and valued.  I urge you to join.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:38 AM »
tomcj2 is right!  :-)
Roger that one...all CoCoRaHS observers urge others to join.
Why not give it a try?  ;)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148