Author Topic: standard display v tablet  (Read 1798 times)

Offline tree311

standard display v tablet
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »
Is there any benefit to a standard display versus tablet? Seems like buying a bigger tablet might be a better option. The display would be a HP2551 from ambient.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: standard display v tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »
Are you asking about the difference between the WS-2902A and the WS-2000 displays? If yes, then I would not call one standard. They are just different. There are pros and cons to both. The WS-2000 is more expensive and is considered the better model but it still isn't better in every way. There are things the WS-2902A is better at than the WS-2000.

I started with the WS-2902A before the WS-2000 was available. I purchased the WS-2000 display separately as an add-on. I thought I would probably retire the WS-2902A after ordering the WS-2000. But then I got to comparing them and realized the WS-2902A still had purpose and did some things better. The best part is that I can continue to use both at the same time.

See this thread for more information:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36379.0

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:42:03 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tree311

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 01:52:38 AM »
I am asking about an ecowitt or similar system with a  tablet like a samsung galaxy tablet running the app  or other software in full screen mode or a display like the ambient Ws2000 - HP2551 display. Is there something about the dedicated buttons? The screen because it is on all the time.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 03:09:06 AM »
Reason I got confused was because Ambient calls the WS-2000 display (same as Ecowitt HP2551) a tablet. I know, its a dumb thing for Ambient to have done.

To run a real tablet as if it were a display console you'll need to publish to a website your own weather template like Weather34. As there is no app for viewing weather on the tablet. Unless you count running the WU app, and that would not not be optimal. The Ecowitt WS View app is intended to manage the GW1000 and shows you live data but it not be nicer than the proper display console. The Ecowitt WS View does not show you data from the HP2551 display though, all it does is configure online weather services and update firmware. It can show you graphs of WU favorite stations but that is not a replacement for a display console either.

The size of the tablet isn't the issue. The issue is that there really doesn't exist any app or for you to run on the tablet...unless you make one. And even then where is the data going to come from and how instantaneous and live is it? WeeWx can also publish to a website with live view. Other software like Weather-Display also have live views. But these are all websites that are generated and not apps.

Even if you go through all that effort you still need a console to get the data in the first place. So the tablet would be in addition to a console not instead of one. Granted the console doesn't have to have a display, like a GW1000 or an ObserverIP or a Pi with SDR. So back to your original statement, it isn't really a choice to have a console versus a tablet, you need the console...then you can add a tablet if you create content for it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:16:58 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 03:30:16 AM »
I agree with Galfert that whilst you don't absolutely need to have a display console/tablet like the WS2000/HP2551 or WS2902 they are by far the best way to get all the information you want to see in a small space and do it well.

Yes you can just get the weather sensors and use a Observer IP or GW-1000 etc and have a generic Android/iPad Tablet but as Galfert says the apps are not brilliant for use as a permanent display. The WS-View app which is used for Ecowitt kit does allow you to watch live data from your sensors or the view from your Weather Underground feed, but they are far from the colourful full screen view you get from a console. However they are good if you want to just look at the raw data.

Apart from this you can go down the route of your own local weather database and website Weewx and the like but that's an added complexity!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:02:56 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Shvedi

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »
You can get a tablet with big screen and use the Ecowitt.net or Ambientweather.net website instead of an app.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
yep, you could use a big tablet and display ecowitt.net or the ambient version.
Not very colourful compared to a dedicated console.
This is what the ecowitt.net screen looks like (photo taken from a 24' monitor)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »
Ecowitt.net on a tablet is not a solution. Their website detects that you are on a mobile device and changes the layout to very large fonts and graphics. Its like it defaults to a mobile view. I've even tried to change the browser to show me the Desktop Version which often works for many websites but for some reason Ecowitt.net does not acknowledge that layout request and keeps showing you the mobile view. Even if you were to go through the added effort to change the browser agent or maybe try a different browser to force it to give you the desktop version it still would not be a good solution. Because you still won't see everything in one screen. You'll then be relegated to needing to scroll up and down. Besides then you only see your data every 1 minute. A dedicated console gives you 16 second live view.

Ambientweather.net does the same exact thing.

Here is what it looks like on an 10 inch Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3). This was a flagship $550 tablet when new couple years ago:
* Same thing happens on Apple iPad even when you request Desktop site.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:32:12 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
Hi tree311,

Did you make a decision yet?

Here's a side by side of the WS-2000 and WS-2902A in situ during yesterday's tests. The beta Atmocom device is also shown with my homemade (read unofficial) logo on it.

Is there any benefit to a standard display versus tablet? Seems like buying a bigger tablet might be a better option. The display would be a HP2551 from ambient.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 11:35:27 AM »
Pretty brave there Kelly, plugging in your stuff directly into the wall outlets. Unless you have whole home surge protection. Here in Florida with as many lightning and power surges (brown outs) as we get, I always use a power surge strip for anything electronic.

Just curious, why is the Atmocom all the way up on the wall? Is that necessary for WiFi reception?
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
There just happened to be a nail there at that position and distant enough to get the USB cord out of the mess of wires. The whole affair is temporary while inline surge protection for this line and custom shelving are still in the planning.

Just curious, why is the Atmocom all the way up on the wall? Is that necessary for WiFi reception?

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm sure you know this, but surge strips only offer protection from voltage spikes and that only a UPS can safeguard against voltage drops (so-called brown outs) as well as clipping the highs.

Pretty brave there Kelly, plugging in your stuff directly into the wall outlets. Unless you have whole home surge protection. Here in Florida with as many lightning and power surges (brown outs) as we get, I always use a power surge strip for anything electronic.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
There just happened to be a nail there at that position and distant enough to get the USB cord out of the mess of wires. The whole affair is temporary while inline surge protection for this line and custom shelving are still in the planning.

Ah okay....temporary.  [tup]

Are you planning on keeping the WS-2902A in the same room? I had both my WS-2000 and WS-2902A side by side because of rain rate having been missing on the WS-2000. But now that the WS-2000 has rain rate I'm thinking about moving the WS-2902A to another room (not sure yet which one). But I'm wondering if I might miss the large numbers of the WS-2902A.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
I'm sure you know this, but surge strips only offer protection from voltage spikes and that only a UPS can safeguard against voltage drops (so-called brown outs) as well as clipping the highs.

Yes, but the brown out has two parts. There is the drop out which won't hurt the electronics. Then there is the return and that usually or at least sometimes comes back with a spike and then the surge strip will do its protection there.
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
Actually brownouts can cause quite a bit of damage even with surge suppression in place. My first schooling on the matter was 29 years ago when hard disc controller, power supply, and RAM were all destroyed on a one-month old computer. Since then, I've have had multiple APC units running; 2 now running within arms' reach. Aside from delicate electronics, electrical motors in appliances under load can also get damaged.

Yes, but the brown out has two parts. There is the drop out which won't hurt the electronics. Then there is the return and that usually or at least sometimes comes back with a spike and then the surge strip will do its protection there.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
For the time being, they'll probably stay in the same room (my workshop) as I have a list of experiments planned.

Yes! I really appreciate being able to look at a glance and see the larger display set of the WS-2902A.

The OP caught my attention with this thread because I've been toying around with what a touch type device like my aging Nexus tablet or iPad might look like re-purposed into user defined display.

Are you planning on keeping the WS-2902A in the same room? I had both my WS-2000 and WS-2902A side by side because of rain rate having been missing on the WS-2000. But now that the WS-2000 has rain rate I'm thinking about moving the WS-2902A to another room (not sure yet which one). But I'm wondering if I might miss the large numbers of the WS-2902A.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Actually brownouts can cause quite a bit of damage even with surge suppression in place. My first schooling on the matter was 29 years ago when hard disc controller, power supply, and RAM were all destroyed on a one-month old computer. Since then, I've have had multiple APC units running; 2 now running within arms' reach. Aside from delicate electronics, electrical motors in appliances under load can also get damaged.

Good points.
Tele-Pole