Author Topic: CWOP findu location is about 140 ft. off of actual location? Why?  (Read 3734 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: CWOP findu location is about 140 ft. off of actual location? Why?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 11:18:41 PM »
Right from Steve creator of Cumulus...he confirms limited menu functionality in 2020 and no report viewing in 2021.
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17227

Quote from: Steve (creator of Cumulus software)
Cumulus 1 should continue to work, it's just that facility which will be limited (and any other facilities which have a similar poorly designed interface!). It does mean that as well as not being able to view reports from 2021 onwards, you won't be able to create them manually either, only automatically.

SQL comment was not meant as in you can't have SQL export but rather in Cumulus it natively doesn't run in SQL and uses flat files. Some people may see this and not like that it runs on flat files.

Not that this matters but I was called out on this.

Edit update: Yep after several months with no reply to this ...thought so....crickets.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:59:01 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »
I suggest that you update your registration with CWOP to be in as precise of a location as you can using Decimal Degrees using 6 decimal places.

On your software you are limited to DMS with no decimal seconds. So that is just a limitation you'll have to put up with till you decide to move off Cumulus. But it won't matter for CWOP and it wont mess anything up. CWOP will not complain that your software is sending slightly different location than your registered location because the difference is going to be very very small. CWOP only complains when the discrepancy is big.

If you follow this plan then one day when you move off Cumulus then you probably will gain the ability to enter in your location with more precision and then match exactly to your registered location. But either way you can update the registration later also if you prefer to do things that way.

I also see no harm in backing up the .ini file before you change it. Then try and change the Lat/Lon there that shows up in Decimal Degrees and see if the software accepts it and if it makes a difference to FindU and the location your CWOP packets send out. I suppose it can't hurt to try.
I recommend always using Decimal Degrees with 6 decimal places.

You mentioned updating CWOP registration, is this something that can be done after I am in the system? I don't recall being asked for that when I signed up for CWOP. I'm not in the system yet, only on findu.com.
By the way, I did try editing the D.d data in cumulus.ini but it made no difference in the position on findu.com.
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
You mentioned updating CWOP registration, is this something that can be done after I am in the system? I don't recall being asked for that when I signed up for CWOP.  I'm not in the system yet, only on findu.com.
To complete the registration process once your station is properly posting to FindU and you are happy with the location (as happy as you can be because of your DMS with no decimal seconds), then you need to send an email to cwop-support@noaa.gov and let them know you are ready to complete the registration. You can send a follow up email any time in the future to update your location should you move. But for now just send them your correct more precise location in D.d format. If you decide in the future to switch software and that software allows more precise location in D.d format or DMS with decimal seconds then you won't need to update your registered location with CWOP because it was registered with the better precision location information.

Example email to use to complete CWOP registration:
To: cwop-support@noaa.gov
Hello,
This is my request to be registered for CWOP for my data to flow to NOAA. I've checked my FindU position location and it is correct.
Latitude: D.d
Longitude: D.d
Elevation: x Feet

CWOP designator: FW4622
Email: <your email address>

Thanks,
<your name>

By the way, I did try editing the D.d data in cumulus.ini but it made no difference in the position on findu.com.

Probably because that entry in the cumulus.ini is not used as input variable but rather is a calculated value from the DMS, to then be used with some other reporting services that Cumulus handles. Good to know.  Good test. Thanks for the update.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:09:18 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 12:42:27 PM »
Thanks, I've been sitting around waiting to find my station in the system, didn't realize I needed to send another email.
George
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385