Author Topic: Georgia Celebrated 1 Year in CoCoRaHS  (Read 3279 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Georgia Celebrated 1 Year in CoCoRaHS
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:09:41 AM »
As of February 20th, or March 24th, or May 1st, Georgia has been participating in CoCoRaHS.  The official start date was May First 2008.  Some of us were so antsy that Nolan and Henry said to go ahead and let us start early.  I signed up on March 24th and brought along about 12 rain observers that had already been reporting rain in Oglethorpe County, Ga.  We had set up the Oglethorpe County Rainfall Reporting Network in September 2006.  The network merged into CoCoRaHS and is still publishing county rain amounts in our local newspaper.
Christine McGehee, Ga CoCoRaHS Coordinator, published an interesting document for The Georgia Water Resources Conference.  It shows the value of accurate, credible precipitation reports.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/alr/papers/content/cocorahs.pdf
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Georgia Celebrated 1 Year in CoCoRaHS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
As of February 20th, or March 24th, or May 1st, Georgia has been participating in CoCoRaHS.  The official start date was May First 2008.  Some of us were so antsy that Nolan and Henry said to go ahead and let us start early.  I signed up on March 24th and brought along about 12 rain observers that had already been reporting rain in Oglethorpe County, Ga.  We had set up the Oglethorpe County Rainfall Reporting Network in September 2006.  The network merged into CoCoRaHS and is still publishing county rain amounts in our local newspaper.
Christine McGehee, Ga CoCoRaHS Coordinator, published an interesting document for The Georgia Water Resources Conference.  It shows the value of accurate, credible precipitation reports.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/alr/papers/content/cocorahs.pdf
   Job Well done :!: :!: =D> =D> Congratulations on one year anniversary :!: \:D/

Offline port1

• Forecaster
Re: Georgia Celebrated 1 Year in CoCoRaHS
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »
 :-)  CoCoRaHS is really an excellent volunteer program for all weather enthusiasts.
I'm glad I joined up!
Besides being a benefit to the scientific community, I use my 4 inch gauge to make certain my electronic gauge is accurate.
So far, it's spot on!  8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148