Author Topic: Weather Channel Turning to Reality Channel????  (Read 10098 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Weather Channel Turning to Reality Channel????
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
Whats up with the newer Weather Channel shows like "Lifeguard" and the one where a guy climbs to places to take pictures??? Not seeing much "Weather" in the Weather Channel anymore :-(
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Channel Turning to Reality Channel????
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Not seeing much "Weather" in the Weather Channel anymore

And yet, people still watch it.  Something I haven't done in close to 4 years.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Whats up with the newer Weather Channel shows like "Lifeguard" and the one where a guy climbs to places to take pictures??? Not seeing much "Weather" in the Weather Channel anymore :-(

It's all about ratings, Joe.  If they could get away with 24/7 local on the 8's (of course then it wouldn't be local on the 8's anymore  ;) ) and still pull in the same numbers they would.
Advertisers pay the bills and the hardcore "weather junkie" style programming that we all would rather see just doesn't appeal to the average viewer.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »
About the only time I watch it anymore is when that tornado chaser show with Justin and the other guy is on, because I think that their good...I used to watch a show on there called "Tornado Road" that was awesome but they got rid of it :-( I like Discovery's storm chaser show a lot better than the new stuff they put on there....

and i hate local on the 8s :-x

Just my 2 cents
Joe Fitzwater

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
About the only time I watch it anymore is when that tornado chaser show with Justin and the other guy is on, because I think that their good...I used to watch a show on there called "Tornado Road" that was awesome but they got rid of it :-( I like Discovery's storm chaser show a lot better than the new stuff they put on there....
I guess you'll have to make due with Justin's show now as Storm Chasers has been cancelled.

Yeah, it's not all that anymore, especially when you have your own station and the internet.
I do remember when the WC launched in the early 80's.  We used to watch it via Satcom 3 on our BUD (Big Ugly Dish).
Just got a blue screen with elevator music when the local weather came on.  ;)
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
I guess you'll have to make due with Justin's show now as Storm Chasers has been cancelled.

Yeah, it's not all that anymore, especially when you have your own station and the internet.
I do remember when the WC launched in the early 80's.  We used to watch it via Satcom 3 on our BUD (Big Ugly Dish).
Just got a blue screen with elevator music when the local weather came on.  ;)

Do you mean the Discovery storm chasers got cancelled!? What is wrong with these people!!
Joe Fitzwater

Offline WxVortex

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
Yeah, the discovery channel storm chase show got cancelled. I heard through the grape vine that Reed lost his sponsor aka Discovery Channel cause he has been seen chasing in an SUV rather than the TIV. As far as TWC goes I have been either heading out the door or hearing distant thunder and wanted to get a quick overview of what is going on and flip to TWC and is greeted by Full Force Nature or Cantore Stories....it is a shame. I have now relied on my Wxradio for my quick weather updates.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
Wow, last season was when i started watching the storm chaser show and i really liked it, thats a real bummer :-(  One day when i get the equipment and start doing it, ill hook up with discovery (Yeah right on the second part :lol:)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 02:15:19 AM »

It's all about ratings, Joe.  If they could get away with 24/7 local on the 8's (of course then it wouldn't be local on the 8's anymore  ;) ) and still pull in the same numbers they would.
Advertisers pay the bills and the hardcore "weather junkie" style programming that we all would rather see just doesn't appeal to the average viewer.

I disagree with this vehemently. The Weather Channel's ratings do not come from entertainment programming or even news programming. The folks at the Weather Channel knew what they were doing 20 years ago when every segment had a little logo in the corner of the people who were sponsoring it because those sponsors understood the Weather Channel is a "flip on/flip off" station. (That sounded bad, but that wasn't my intention.)

You don't tune into the Weather Channel to watch television, you tune in if you are about to leave for the day and want to see if it is going to rain. You tune it in if you have a round of gold scheduled and you know the outdoor forecast is on at 15 past the hour. You tune in if you hear thunder and the clouds are looking ominous.

Heck, in the apartment complex I used to live in, there was a golf course right next door. When you went into their club house, the first thing you would see is a big screen television tuned into the Weather Channel, and a sign that said "please do not turn television."

Advertisements sell on the Weather Channel not because they expect huge ratings, but because they know that just about everyone will flip on the Weather Channel at some point during the day, and you want to know what demographics are most likely to be on it at what time of the day.

There's a reason that the travel guide that used to air at 20 past the hour would be sponsored by Michelin (because it was expected to be watched by folks about to be doing a lengthy travel session and if they are thinking about new tires...)

They are completely stupid to think anybody, especially with everything else there is on cable, is going to give two royal rat's rear ends about lifeguards or a guy taking weather pictures or storm stories or whatever other ideas they have desperately trying to become the new MSNBC.

What they need is simply what they used to have...five minute segments of an OCM in front of a map giving the weather and then special reports when there is something major going on. NOTHING else. To try anything else beyond that (even Wake Up with Al and all of that nonsense) is an act of foolishness that is spectacular even for the morons that work as television executives.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:42:48 AM »
I understand what you are talking about with the weather reports, and the new shows are stupid, but even I remember when I was 8 or 9 when Dr. Forbes would show some pretty neat stuff before the local on the 8s came on; I would compromise to local on the 15s, but it seems like they show 2 maps now and its time for commercial and that just makes the channel unappealing for me ](*,)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »
Reality shows are very cheap to produce. You don't need a elaborate set and the main characters make peanuts. Every cable channel has some kind of reality programing. It's all about money and people just love that type of programing so that's why you see it.
You can thank Survivor for getting this craze started. :roll:

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:55:09 AM »
It has been weeks since I watched TWC. After that dispute with Dish Network, it appeared that they were getting back on track for a while. The photography show had some beautiful scenery and I enjoyed watching it with the volume muted. My biggest beef with the reality shows is that, in a days time, I bet the commercials for the show take up more air time than the actual show its self. I have never timed it, but it seems that in a 15 minute time, probably 5-10% that time is dedicated to advertising their own programming.

Then there is that Twitter thing.  :roll: They could just have finished a good section about the weather. Hot in the south and snowy up north. Then "lets see what people are tweeting about" Surprise!, surprise! People up north are tweeting about the snow and people in the south are tweeting about the heat. Duh! And in reality - who cares what people are tweeting about?

My wife wants to know why all the men are bald or loosing their hair.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
It has been weeks since I watched TWC. After that dispute with Dish Network, it appeared that they were getting back on track for a while. The photography show had some beautiful scenery and I enjoyed watching it with the volume muted. My biggest beef with the reality shows is that, in a days time, I bet the commercials for the show take up more air time than the actual show its self. I have never timed it, but it seems that in a 15 minute time, probably 5-10% that time is dedicated to advertising their own programming.

Then there is that Twitter thing.  :roll: They could just have finished a good section about the weather. Hot in the south and snowy up north. Then "lets see what people are tweeting about" Surprise!, surprise! People up north are tweeting about the snow and people in the south are tweeting about the heat. Duh! And in reality - who cares what people are tweeting about?

My wife wants to know why all the men are bald or loosing their hair.

I have been a Weather Channel junkie for years.  It pains me to see what it has become in the hands of NBC.  They have gutted it and replaced its content with NBC's idea of weather news.  Apparently there's an audience out there that's hungry for the pap they now offer, but it doesn't include me.  I've watched it only with the sound off and closed captioning on for the past several years because I find the inane patter that engulfs the weather annoying.  The 'Local on the 8's' is what I'm interested in as well as pertinent, breaking weather news.  Any other programming is best left to the ether from whence it came.  I get especially annoyed when they report national and international news that's unrelated to the weather.  I don't want that drivel and the riffraff that pander it in my home!  (Yes, I'm a curmudgeon, and proud of it!)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
I'm not a fan of the new stuff either. I remember when I was 7 or 8 I could sit on  the couch at 6 or 7 on the weekends if my sister didn't steal the tv and mom would make me get up and do something because I'd sit there until 10 just watching the weather. This was right before the local on the 8s...I wish they would split the screen like they do on their tv shows and have the local on the 8s show up like that....But to be honest, TWC simply isnt a weather junkie show anymore :-(
Joe Fitzwater

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:14:54 AM »
It has been weeks since I watched TWC. After that dispute with Dish Network, it appeared that they were getting back on track for a while.

They both lied.  TWC took a money hit and begged to be put back on.  Dish claimed to be working with another company to develop a replacement even if they brought TWC back.

TWC and their useless fakery are back and the other channel concept disappeared into oblivion.

Just block TWC from your favorites channel lineup like I did and you'll never miss it.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
Dish network had dropped TWC for Paul Douglas's WeatherNation.  http://weathernationtv.com/index

It was on DISH for 4 days.  Then TWC jumped in with money that even Douglas could not match. 
I know someone that was producing for WN here in MPLS.  He got laid off after that happened.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Yeah, but there was supposed to be something else.  I don't remember if it was TWC2 or WN and TWC both, or something like that.  It was supposed to be like the old school TWC, all weather, all the time, nothing but weather and with a focus on Local information and forecasts ion markets where Dish provides Local channels.

Offline WxVortex

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »
I have toured TWC facilities twice. First time I went I remember it was ALL Weather related banter and weather walls and weather graphics everywhere. Second time it was lets promote this show "Sure I will do a 5minute segment then go on break for the next three hours while they run shows". Not to mention Al Rokers face was everywhere.  ](*,) Did anybody see the new show coming out. Turbine Cowboys  =D> (this is a very sarcastic clap)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
Yea - The first time I heard it, I thought  they were saying Turban Cowboys. You know Hindu folks riding horses out west.  #-o

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Well at least they don't plan on showing any more movies.  :roll:

Higher ratings forecast for Weather Channel
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »

Think this is gonna be the nail in the coffin for me towards TWC :-(
Joe Fitzwater

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:45 PM »
There is always Accuweather. I have started using them more and more.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »

So we can blame Al Roker for putting the end to TWC as it was once known for? I pretty much stopped looking at it years ago and can think of little reason to now.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline WxVortex

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »
WOW! local on the 8s is now voiced by Jim Cantore instead of the computer voice!!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
There is always Accuweather. I have started using them more and more.

I nornally just use NOAA related stuff now :-)

So we can blame Al Roker for putting the end to TWC as it was once known for? I pretty much stopped looking at it years ago and can think of little reason to now.

I blame it on the management, not just him in particular

WOW! local on the 8s is now voiced by Jim Cantore instead of the computer voice!!

Wow, that makes the local on the 8s so much better (Slight sarcasm ;))
Joe Fitzwater