Author Topic: (Went with WS-2080 - Thanks though all)WMR 100-n as first station  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Leominster

• Ambient WS-2080
    • Leominster Weather
So I'm looking at the WMR 100-N as my first weather station. I'd like to hear from some people that use it now and your thoughts on how well it works. One thing I'd like to know is if I can modify the anemometer so it is wired. I prefer a wired anemometer so I don't have to change batteries on the roof but I want all other sensors wireless.

Are there any other suggestions for comparable stations that have internet access around the $150 price range?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:49:16 AM by Leominster »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: WMR 100-n as first station
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »
That was my first station.

It worked fine for a while until the temp and humidity sensors went kaput. Rain only has a resolution of .04" versus .01" for a Davis. The sensors are all one piece, no way to separate them.

Personally, I'd spend a little more money.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I have a WMR100 and a WMR200.  I have two stations in different loocations.  At first I was a bit disappointed because I had some reliability issues.  Some were caused by the fact that I was using a wireless webcam, and I had the console adjacent to a laptop.  Going to a wired webcam, moving the console and adding external antennas to the console solved the reliability issues.  I chose OS gear for two reasons:  Cost and the fact that I needed multiple indoor sensors, something that Davis does not support at the moment.  If I didn't need the indoor sensors, and I had more bucks I'd go the Davis route.  No right or wrong answer, just the need to make a choice based on your needs and budget.  In any event, this forum has been helpful to me in making things work right. 

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline grwkak

• Wilsons Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
I have had a WMR100 for about 2-3 years.  Temp/humidity sensor went kaput after about 18 months and I was able to replace with one I found on ebay.  UV sensor works well (it is bought separately) as does the rain gauge.  My only complaint is that the base unit will, on occasion, loose connection with the temp/humidity/windspeed sensor.  Comes back after a while but usually after some gyrations (make it search for the sensors).  I have mine connected to a PC and use the Internet version of VWS.  Every so often the base unit will not communicate with the PC and I have to reset the base unit.  Newer units may not have this issue.  But for the price I was happy.

Guy

OS WMR100A
VWS  V14.00 p24

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
You might consider purchasing a THGR810, because from what I have heard the THGR801 which is the sensor included doesn't do well. The thermo/hygro on my WMR100 gave out a little over a month ago. I'm replacing it with a THGR810 because I have heard better feedback on it. Or better yet Oregon Scientific has released a new tool that allows you to build your own station according to what your needs and preferences are. So cool. Havn't tryed it yet but this would be probably a better bet than buying a whole new WMR100N
Before you purchase the WMR100N try Oregon Scientific's new build your own weather station tool.
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/weather-station-lab/index.html
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Leominster

• Ambient WS-2080
    • Leominster Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
I've decided to go with the WS-2080 which will be arriving on Friday. Is there a way I can mark my original post subject line so people don't continue to reply and waste their time posting? Not that I don't appreciate the tips and advice I just figure why waste people's time on this thread when what I need is to hear what people have to say about the WS-2080. Thanks.