Author Topic: VSPE & Virtual VP Not working after replacing motherboard  (Read 2196 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
VSPE & Virtual VP Not working after replacing motherboard
« on: July 29, 2023, 08:31:46 AM »
Hello:
I have been running Weatherlink 6.0.5 and WeatherDisplay with VSPE & Virtual VP using a TRIPP-LITE Serial to USB converter. The PC is running Windows 10 Home 64 bit Build 1945.
My CPU quit working so I replaced my X99 Motherboard with a X299 Motherboard both from ASUS.  The new CPU is an Intel I7-7820X all other hardware remains unchanged.
I went with this configuration so I could use all my other remaining hardware such as my AIO Cooler.

In VSPE (v: 0.941.5.134) the software states the ports are "Ready" instead of "OK". I cannot get any details (screens) on the COM Ports.
Virtual VP (v: 1.2.5.74) indicates all communications status RED. 
  The COM port for Vantage Pro Console was set to 3. I tried COM4 without success.
  The Virtual COM Ports are set to WeatherLink 6 and Weather Display 7. I tried COM Ports "not is use" and that didn't work either.

Now in Windows Device Manager it states COM 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8 "in use" and devices are not connected (code 45).

To test my "hardware" I set the COM port to 4 in Device Manger as well as Weatherlink and  it works, so it's not a hardware issue.

I am  looking for some suggestions on how to correct. I have tried for several hours changing to different COM Ports w/o success.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.   

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
Re: VSPE & Virtual VP Not working after replacing motherboard
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 03:21:01 PM »
An update:

I tried VVP via TCP/IP and got Weather Display to work but Weatherlink states there is communication problem. I am trying to get around the COM Port issue.

I have TCP/IP selected in Weatherlink but it won't launch. I am not sure what IP info I need to input in each of these programs. VVP is using settings: Serial/USB and Port COM4 for the Vantage Pro2 Console.

What settings do I input into Weatherlink and VVP?

Thanks

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 05:31:00 PM »
As you are making changes are you rebooting the PC ? If you don't Windows will report the comport is in use.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 05:46:51 PM »
Garth
I haven’t been rebooting my P.C., just closing and restarting the programs. I will give your suggestions a try.
Thanks

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 06:02:51 PM »
You say your console is on comm3 then you tried comm4 ? Lets start from the beginning. Was all software a fresh install or did you clone the drive ? A fresh install is much better.
I am running Virtual Serial Ports Emulator (64 bit) 1.0.5.443 .

Go into Device Manager and verify the comport assigned to your Serial to USB Converter. Also make sure that there are no conflicts or any missing drivers.
Go into System Update and run any updates. Look to see if there is a line that says Optional Updates. If so go there and click on the work Driver Updates and download and install everything. I have a similar serial to USB adapter on a test system and before it would work with VPSE even though Windows saw it and it would work with VPSE I had to run driver updates. Reboot the computer when you have all updates done.

Start up VPSE only. In VPSE are your ports Paired ? See attached. Once you have VPSE set up restart it. You should see the Ready and the OKs at the bottom as in the attached  One tip.....save the VPSE port list to a file say on your desktop. I just click on the file and the ports load up, then I start VVPro. Once VPSE is set up make sure you right click on it and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. If you don't this will cause a problem.

Now VVPro. Launch it and if it is running in trial put in the license code. Next make sure the comport is set to your Serial-USB converter in the comport on the screen. See attached. Make sure each of the individual comports are Enabled (I have missed this on fresh installs in the past.)
Close VVPro and right click on the icon and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Now see if VVPro starts downloading from the datalogger. Do not start any weather software until VVPro has completed the download. Then check each weather program to see if the virtual comport you assigned (ie....6 - 16, 7 - 17 etc.) is set in the program. Run only one weather program at a time until you have it up and running.

I have been running VVPro as you see it for years even though some will say...not supported, out of date, blah blah blah. It works great and as you can see I am running multiple weather programs without problems.

Anything else let me know.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 06:27:52 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2023, 06:45:08 PM »
I should clarify one thing for anyone reading and have never used VVPro.....VVPro talks to the console/envoy via USB/Serial....for example Com3.  It in turns sends the data to the Virtural Serial ports defined in VPSE. Virtual ports are mapped such as com6 to com16, com7 to com17, etc. The mapping can be anything just so it is not in conflict with serial ports on the motherboard such as com1,2, or as in my example com3 being used by the datalogger. Each weather program would be set to a specific Virtual Port such as 6 in WeatherLink, 7 in Weather Display and etc. If you run out of comports and the additional programs can talk on TCP/IP then you would set the TCP address of 127.0.0.1 in each of the additional programs the only difference would be the Port such as 5511, 5512, etc. See attached.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 01:05:07 PM »
Folks:
I now have my PC up and running Weatherlink v.6.0.5 and Weather Display.

I had to uninstall the old VSPE software and install v.1.3.6.970 then the emulator started working. It's weird how this happened as all I did was change the motherboard and CPU, I didn't make any software changes. The only thing that may have caused the issue is the new motherboard drivers.

I now have an issue with the start parameters in StartWatch for VSPE. StartWatch will not load my WeatherStation.vspe config file. I tried numerous times to update the Params w/o success. I am assuming it is my file location syntax. Please see attached screenshots.

How do I input (proper syntax) the ".vspe" config file into StartWatch?

Any assistance is appreciated. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 01:08:11 PM by tshattuck »

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 01:19:28 PM »
Glad you got it going. Fresh install is always the best way to go when there is a hardware change even if it is an identical model. Ad for Startwatch someone else will have to chime in on that as I don't use it.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 01:41:17 PM »
Garth:

Thanks for the assist. Software glitches are always there to get you.  :eek:

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 02:14:43 PM »
How do I input (proper syntax) the ".vspe" config file into StartWatch?

It's been a few years since I setup vspe, but I seem to remember the *.vspe file had to be located in the root directory of your boot drive, ie., C:\.

Steve

anything