Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109126 times)

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
how do I get a device id and key to enter into the WFL setup screen for Weather link?

I've uploaded some instructions to our Davis knowledgebase. Please see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wfl-uploads-to-weatherlink-com

thank you very much!

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #626 on: November 16, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
Should we select WL IP or WL PC for the mode?

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #627 on: November 16, 2018, 06:24:48 PM »
Should we select WL IP or WL PC for the mode?

For version 1.23 please use WL PC only. I need to investigate more WL IP.
There is no big difference.
In general.
WL PC = WeatherLink PC emulation = free DID from WL.COM
WL IP - you can use when you have damaged original WL IP, but please let me finish it.

But if you have WL IP DID to use. You can also use with WL PC mode.
WL.COM 1.0 or WL.COM 2.0 does not distinguish between the type of connection.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:29:09 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline asinrutee

• Charlcombe Weather
« Reply #628 on: November 17, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »
I need some advice please as my technical ability is limited. I am currently running a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with a Davis USB data logger, I upload this to my Windows 10 laptop daily which is running Cumulus 1.9.4 and then upload the data via FTP to my website, which is running Weather Blues Template by Meteu du Quebec www.charlcombeweather.co.uk.  This has been working fine for the last 5 years. However I would like to upload the data more regularly and also when I am away. The WiFi Logger looks like a solution, but I have some questions.

1 Will this device upload automatically to my website, how does it know what  software I am running
2 Will it also upload the data to my Cumulus program,
3 I assume I disable the internet settings on my Cumulus configuration page.
4 Do I need anything else, I assume my current Data logger will be superfluous

Any other advice would be welcome  Thanks

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #629 on: November 17, 2018, 07:20:50 AM »
1 Will this device upload automatically to my website, how does it know what  software I am running
WiFiLogger has abiliti to export via FTP two files: WFL JSON file with all current and hilow data from console. Realtime.txt  file similar to Cumulus, but it contains only data which are represented in console memory. Cumulus makes own statistics. WFL export only console data.
http://wifilogger.net/station/wflexp.json
http://wifilogger.net/station/realtime.txt
I am preparing also template to read wflexp.json file: http://wifilogger.net/station/index.html
2 Will it also upload the data to my Cumulus program,
Cumulus with WiFiLogger can work like WL IP. You have to set Discon Period. Then Cumulus will release WFL every minute for discon period when WFL will be able to send own exports.
3 I assume I disable the internet settings on my Cumulus configuration page.
No. Cumulus can have 40s access to the console from every minute and WFL can have 20 sec./min. Both can have enought time and data from console to make proper exports.
4 Do I need anything else, I assume my current Data logger will be superfluous
Current USB data logger won't be needed.
At last WiFiLogger could be made as small as any other data logger with power consumption like WL IP. Because of that WiFiLogger has data logger shape and it's not a had to be made as external addon. No cables, no extra power.
Only two little problem:
1. WFL has won world contest for the ugliest module on earth.
2. Console battery can be drain like in WL IP in 70 hours.

What more?
WiFiLogger is very close to original WL IP, but with some extra export function.

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #630 on: November 19, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »
Can I use my current Device ID and key for WeatherLink or do I need to register again with the WFL?

The current ID/key was obtained with the WeatherLink program and Davis USB data logger.  It will not go online again after the mailman shows up this afternoon with my WFL.

Thanks
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Can I use my current Device ID and key for WeatherLink or do I need to register again with the WFL?
The current ID/key was obtained with the WeatherLink program and Davis USB data logger.  It will not go online again after the mailman shows up this afternoon with my WFL.
Thanks

Hi,

In WFL please use WL PC mode.
You can use your DID. You can also use DID from damaged WL IP. Only little problem is with new DID. You have to click on "Activation" text in WFL. It has to be done to unlock new DID. Your did is already used, so all you need is to place ID and PASS in WFL.

Please note that WL PC and WL IP are making uploads every 1 min. That is by default. In WFL you can choose from minimum 1 min. I am using 3 min. interval. For proper working of WL.COM 2.0 you should set interval 1,2 or 3 min. There is a problem with barometer. WL.COM 2.0 is making chart with barometer. Sometimes it's showing current value instead of chart. Then click on "Activation" text in WFL. This will clear current data in WL.COM 2.0 and it should  helps with barometer.

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #632 on: November 19, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »
First a little background.. I have over a dozen WiFi devices that all access the router which does NOT broadcast its SSID, every device is assigned a static IP on the device itself as opposed to DHCP IP reservations by the router, and I use MAC filtering so that only devices whose MAC address I have entered are allowed to connect.  Never a problem with all this.

I finally got the WFL to connect only after broadcasting the SSID, enabling DHCP on the router and disabling MAC address filtering.  The router shows it as connected but I still cannot access the WFL GUI except via my cell phone using the WFL  AP.  Of course I have rebooted the router several times and nothing changes.

Any suggestions?  Is there a way to reset the WFL back to out of box condition?

Thanks

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #633 on: November 19, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
if you have muiltiple wifi networks, make sure the device you are trying to connect to the WFL, and that device are on the SAME wifi network..and, it has to be 2.4ghz, not 5ghz

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #634 on: November 19, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »
First a little background.. I have over a dozen WiFi devices that all access the router which does NOT broadcast its SSID, every device is assigned a static IP on the device itself as opposed to DHCP IP reservations by the router, and I use MAC filtering so that only devices whose MAC address I have entered are allowed to connect.  Never a problem with all this.
I finally got the WFL to connect only after broadcasting the SSID, enabling DHCP on the router and disabling MAC address filtering.  The router shows it as connected but I still cannot access the WFL GUI except via my cell phone using the WFL  AP.  Of course I have rebooted the router several times and nothing changes.
Any suggestions?  Is there a way to reset the WFL back to out of box condition?
Thanks

In WFL static IP is also available, but I have just noticed that I didn't named that. You have to set DHCP: Disable for static IP. Then IP settings in forms will be used(after reboot).
I have just tested "Hiden ESSID" and it works on WFL.
Mac filtering is on router side, but you should just add MAC of WFL to the list.
WFL it's 2.4GHz only.
There was an option in old firmware to keep touching red button for 15 sec. to clear settings, but I have wipe it out, because somebody could keep touching red button to enable setup mode. Now to clear settings you have to use edit tool. http://WFL_IP/edit, if youd don't have it, just download from here: http://wifilogger.net/files/edit.zip
Go to Setup|System and use "HTML upload" form to upload this edit.html file (not zip, unpack first).
Go to http://WFL_IP/edit right click on JSON files one by one: config.json, stationconfig.json, secret.json and delete. Then reboot (white button, SETUP|SYSTEM reboot button);

There is no reason why you don't have access to WFL when it's connected to router.
When WFL is connected to router.
- use red button for setup mode
- use cell phone to open GUI and go to SETUP|Network Info, there you will find local IP assigned by DHCP from router + Mac addresses.
- use this local IP to access from PC.
- reboot to disable setup mode after job done. In setup mode WFL will not connect to the Internet. Local network yes, but exports will not work.

Check router for settings like Wireless client isolation. https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Wireless_Client_Isolation

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #635 on: November 20, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
I give up.

It will connect but loses connection after reboot.  It does show as connected in the router, but cannot reach the interface except via the built in AP.

I see what the edit.html looks like when I click on it from my desktop, but it does not populate when trying to open it via the AP interface so I cannot erase what I cannot see - the other pages open fine.

I just tried another router.  Did a factory reset, left it default with wireless wide open.  Nothing connected but the WFL and my PC via ethernet.  Exact same behavior.

Edit:  Let it be know to all ... you see the support "WifiLogger" has given on this thread, there are also PMs that you don't see.  Also, you don't see the near immediate support from Ryan @ Scaled Instruments.  Due to shipping time the resolution will not occur for some days, but I am confident it will be to my satisfaction.  It may be something environmentally here and no fault of the WFL anyway.  Unheard of support - thanks guys :)

Edit #2:  This was operator error - failure to properly follow setup instructions :oops:  So, in the future if anyone has the symptoms I have listed, double check that you have "AP Station:  Enable" 

Code: [Select]
"Set enable „AP Station”
Type your home Wi-Fi network SSID to „SSID”
Type your home Wi-Fi password to „Password”
Set disable „AP”

Instead of doing the last line correctly, I must have went back and disabled "AP Station" instead of "AP".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:59:50 AM by Herbaldew »

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #636 on: November 20, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
Herbaldew, sorry to hear of your troubles with the WFL

I would like to second the comment about the support from Wojtek and Ryan.  I also was having real problems and ultimately frustrated to the point of returning the product; both Wojtek and Ryan stepped up.  Long story short, we did get it working (and has been since) and I did not have to return, even though they made it clear that the return option WAS available.

As you stated – unheard of support; nice to see this.

CW3699

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #637 on: December 08, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »
I received my new logger today.  Took a little fiddling, but I got it on the network.  I'm seeing it at the correct IP and the live data is appearing.

I plan on utilizing Weather Display as the primary tool.  So I'm only looking to use the logger abilities.  No current plans to do any of the uploads to other services.

Anything I need to do out of the box?  Reason I ask is I'm also switching from Cumulus to WD.  WD isn't connecting.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #638 on: December 08, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
I received my new logger today.  Took a little fiddling, but I got it on the network.  I'm seeing it at the correct IP and the live data is appearing.

I plan on utilizing Weather Display as the primary tool.  So I'm only looking to use the logger abilities.  No current plans to do any of the uploads to other services.

Anything I need to do out of the box?  Reason I ask is I'm also switching from Cumulus to WD.  WD isn't connecting.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Have you updated the logger firmware to version 1.23? It is available at the beginning of this thread. You need to update the firmware and the various related html files. This may or may not fix your issue but it is one of the easiest and should be done regardless.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:19:18 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #639 on: December 08, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »
Yeah, I checked the firmware version first thing before I even installed WD.  It came with 1.23 already.

I just installed WeatherLink 6.03.  It was able to communicate with the logger.  So at this point, I'd say it's a WD config issue.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #640 on: December 08, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
I just installed WeatherLink 6.03.  It was able to communicate with the logger. 
If you're not familiar, unless 6.0.3 was a full install or you have (for instance) 6.0.0 as a base, 6.0.3 may not work properly.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #641 on: December 08, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
I did find a full download someone had here posted to the full 6.03.  I also found the 6.04 upgrade.  It appears to be working.

I think I finally got WD working.  Had to check and uncheck the "Rev B", not "Rev B" settings.  Not sure why that made it start working.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #642 on: December 08, 2018, 05:47:55 PM »
I did find a full download someone had here posted to the full 6.03. 
Okay, good, the someone was probably me. ;)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2018, 05:47:35 AM »
I think I finally got WD working.  Had to check and uncheck the "Rev B", not "Rev B" settings.  Not sure why that made it start working.

Please go set TCP connection to auto pause. It will prevent WiFiLogger software to connect to console while you are using other software.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #644 on: December 09, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
What is auto pause actually pausing?  Would that pause prevent the Weather Display software from getting the live data for 7 minutes?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #645 on: December 09, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
What is auto pause actually pausing?  Would that pause prevent the Weather Display software from getting the live data for 7 minutes?

No 7 min is for Manual Pause. When you set Man Pause. You can trigger pause on first page Real Time Data by clicking on time.
No need for that because auto pause should work better.
WiFiLogger has internal software to connect to console read weather data and send it.
There can be only one connection to console. WeatherLink/Cumulus/Weather Display or WiFiLogger.
So WiFiLogger needs to wait for its turn when WeatherLink is downloading archive data.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #646 on: December 09, 2018, 12:17:20 PM »
I think I understand.

Would the logger have anything to do with a drop out in my wind readings?  I have a separate anemometer transmitter on channel 8.  ISS on channel 1.  My secondary console where the WiFi logger is installed lost communication to the wind data.  Lost it for about 2 hours.

I went to my main console still running the serial connection.  It was getting the data.  That console is in my basement and is farther away from the transmitters.  The secondary console is upstairs and fairly close.

I went into the secondary console and double checked the receiver settings that 8 was still wind.  I then also went into the logger and made your recommended change to the pause.  A couple of minutes later, it started receiving again.

I've never had that console drop connection before, so it's odd.  Been working again for an hour now.  I'll just be monitoring it for any other drops.

Thanks for the support.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #647 on: December 09, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
I think I understand.

Would the logger have anything to do with a drop out in my wind readings?  I have a separate anemometer transmitter on channel 8.  ISS on channel 1.  My secondary console where the WiFi logger is installed lost communication to the wind data.  Lost it for about 2 hours.

I went to my main console still running the serial connection.  It was getting the data.  That console is in my basement and is farther away from the transmitters.  The secondary console is upstairs and fairly close.

I went into the secondary console and double checked the receiver settings that 8 was still wind.  I then also went into the logger and made your recommended change to the pause.  A couple of minutes later, it started receiving again.

I've never had that console drop connection before, so it's odd.  Been working again for an hour now.  I'll just be monitoring it for any other drops.

Thanks for the support.

I really don't know if WiFiLogger can disturb signal from station.
WiFiLogger is 2.4GHz and station 886MHz/915MHz. So signals should not jamming it other.
WiFiLogger rise only a little bit  temperature in console,  original IP logger make the same.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #648 on: December 09, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
Davis uses 868 mHz; known issues in harmonics to 2.4.  The SiLab chips for instance, have a workaround for this very reason.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #649 on: December 09, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »
How much data can the WiFiLogger hold ?

anything