Author Topic: Misol HP2550: How to retrieve Indoor temperature  (Read 1509 times)

Offline ppmt

Misol HP2550: How to retrieve Indoor temperature
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
I am a new owner of that weather station. One of my aim is to use some of its parameters to do some automation with HomeAssistant.

I upload the data to Wunderground and then using their API I get some data back such as Luminosity. I use it to decide if it is getting too dark and turn on some of the lights accordingly.

I also wanted to use the Indoor temperature to get a second probe for the temperature inside the house. Like that I can decide if the heating should come on or not.

Wunderground does not upload that temperature ( I guess it is of no value to them) so I can't get it that way.

I then found about Ecowitt.net and they do collect the indoor temperature, but it doesn't look like they have an api to retrieve it.

Is there other ways to retrieve all the values from my station? I read about Weewx but it is seems really complicated to setup and I am not even sure that the sation is compatible with it.

thanks in a advance

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
Re: Misol HP2550: How to retrieve Indoor temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 06:43:14 PM »
Weewx is not complicated to install.  Check this link to see if there is a driver for your station.  http://www.weewx.com/hardware.html

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »
You could try registering an account with Ambient.net and putting your MAC address in.
If it accepts it then you could then install the Ambient variant of the firmware for the WS-2000.
This has its risks as it may then lock you into only using Ambient additional sensors which would not work for you in the UK as they all use 915Mhz. The upside though is it would allow you to send data to Ambient.net and that is fully supported by API's and Alexa skills etc
So a degree of experimentation etc though I believe at least one member has tried this without an issue.

The alternative and less risky approach at this time is to acquire a Meteobridge from Ambient (Weatherbridge). Its not cheap however, but this will read the data from a Ecowitt GW-1000 (~50USD) and allow you to post to Ambient.net. The GW-1000 is a great little device on its own. The meteobridge will allow you do lots more with your data as well.

I am considering myself getting hold of a second HP2550 console to flash the ambient firmware on to get access to ambient.net, but am waiting to see if Ambient support the GW-1000 at some point as that would be the cheapest route in if it worked.

If all this is a bit expensive, then you could wait a while as Ecowitt has promised it will enhance their Ecowitt.net site to be Alexa/Google capable at some point but there is no timeline.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline ppmt

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
@Storm017: The station is listed in the link you mentioned. I guess I will have a go at installing Weewx on a computer. I had a read at the documentation but not much made sense to me. But that probably says more about me than the documentation.

@Mandrake: at this point I don't really want to spend some money on it and the Ambient firmware route seems a bit risky to me. The Ecowitt promise to implement Alexa/Google could be a way.

Hopefully Weewx will solve my problem if I ever manage to install/configure it

Thanks to both of you

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
Just a thought, you are aware that you can set Ecowitt.net to alarm and generate a e-mail on conditions defined.
So if you can use an e-mail as a trigger then that would work?
This can be defined for anything that Ecowitt.net is recording which is quite extensive.

If you did not get a internal temp/hygro/barometer sensor with your station then these can be purchased from Ecowitt.
You can also add a further 8 internal temp/hygro sensors in addition to the primary internal sensor.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline ppmt

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
Yes I have seen this option and I could try to use it to then trigger something in my home assistant but it is getting a bit convoluted and introduce more point of failure.
Since it is to keep my house warm I would like it to be as reliable as possible.

Offline krojan

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
I have an Ecowitt HP2551 station, but I use Sonoff TH16 to control the heating in my home:
https://ewelink.coolkit.cc/?p=149

Sorry for my English.
GW1000, HP2551-C, HP3001, HP1001.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
Slightly off topic but I have smart system - Honeywell evohome installed and I find that works incredibly well with its temperature zones and temperature sensing.
I would not want to use my weather station to control the heating but I certainly do get the idea of experimenting and if it can be done then why not!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline ppmt

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
I do have a smart thermostat as well and I use it for controlling the heating. I just wanted to use the indoor sensor as another probe that I could use upstairs

The smart thermostat is downstairs and sometime the house gets colder upstairs while downstairs is still warm enough that the heating stays off. Having that extra probe would give me more flexibility.

Ultimately the real solution would be to use smart radiator valves in every room but they cost an arm and a leg. I need both of them at the moment ;)

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 03:17:11 PM »
@ppmt If you have any questions, just ask over in the weewx forum. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/weewx-user

Offline ppmt

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:19:24 PM »
@Storm017: I think I might. I am trying to work out something but seem to get stuck. Basically I have no idea what I am doing :)

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »
@ppmt  I'm assuming you are running a Linux box? I have weewx and Apache Web server running on a RPI 3B+.  When I installed Weewx, I used the "setup" method.  http://www.weewx.com/docs/setup.htm  Install weewx using the Simulator driver first and verify the local webpages are displaying the data correctly.  Once you happy with that, reconfigure weewx with the appropriate driver.

Offline ppmt

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:11:15 AM »
I have followed the link and used the simulator. It works fine

Now I need to find the right driver for it. It looks like something called interceptor.py might be the one. Just need to work out how to install/configure it

Offline ppmt

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »
I have finally been able to connect my station to weewx all by myself.

@Storm017: we do not have the same definition for the word "complicated"  8-)

So now I can see all my data and best of all it is stored on my own device. Next step is to integrate an mqtt extension and I am done!

I just love OpenSource project!!!

Thank you @Mandrake and @Storm017 for your help