Author Topic: Midland WR-300 test alert question  (Read 16963 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Re: Midland WR-300 test alert question
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

alarm just went off, first tstorm warning of the year/radio....  could definitely hear it.... but must admit at first I thought it was one of the kids toys going crazy.

Andrew

You'll get used to it. Mine has gone off a few times today (svr t-storm watch > svr t-storm wrng > updated svr t-storm watch). Now in the past 20 minutes or so my son's toy has made a strange blooping sound. It just didn't sound right to be my radio, but I checked it out anyway. I was right... it wasn't my radio.

Have fun! You won't regret getting it. As I said earlier, even my wife has more peace of mind.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
I did not think it was the radio, because I was tracking on my nextstorm, and knew according to my site, we had just gotten a t storm watch (i have watches muted) as they are very frequent during spring summer, thought it was too soon to go from watch to warning... but after I looked it did stregthen rapidly. I also thought it might have been Nexstorm.  I just re-installed xp from scratch, and my sound card software has not been installed yet (weather before basics), so I thought it was pc sound beeps cause the sound card was not available.... but as I came up the stairs it got louder and and louder.....

Andrew

You'll get used to it. Mine has gone off a few times today (svr t-storm watch > svr t-storm wrng > updated svr t-storm watch). Now in the past 20 minutes or so my son's toy has made a strange blooping sound. It just didn't sound right to be my radio, but I checked it out anyway. I was right... it wasn't my radio.

Have fun! You won't regret getting it. As I said earlier, even my wife has more peace of mind.

Kevin...

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »
I received a WR-100 as a gift. We drive from Central TX, through OK and KS to NE several times a year. This jewel little has become a valuable travel companion. I just set the S.A.M.E. code to “Any.”  Driving this route can get exciting, but it helps to have the warnings. Listening to commercial broadcast stations can be “iffy” sometimes.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
The weekly alert siren alert went off the other day and I wasn't home but my wife had the day off.  It scared the crap out of her, she thought something was on fire upstairs,

This must be why they have the test tone defeated by default. :grin:
I don't know about the WR-300, but my Radio Shack 12-258 will show "Check Operation" if it doesn't receive the weekly test, so I have the test tone defeated.

The problem with "VOICE" is that the alert sounds for only 8 seconds, and what if you were outside or in the shower or in the far side of the house during those 8 seconds?

My Radio Shack 12-258 has a missed alert reminder tone which sounds every 10 seconds or so, until you press the weather button to acknowldge the alert (similar to an answering machine alerting you to new messages).

One nice feature on this would be an Alert time stamp (or date at least).  Or at least which number it is in the history of 10,

The school I work at received a Reecom R-1630 from the Department of Homeland Security FEMA and it has a log of the past 25 messagess, in the order they were received, with time/date stamp and alert type (including tests), it's a pretty neat radio. Also has an output for audio and a "switched" output that can activate a siren/strobe light, etc for the first few seconds of the alert ( I believe the switched output on my Radio Shack stays active for the entire alert period, so the Reecom would work better if someone wanted to have buzzer sound outside when an alert is issued, whereas the Radio Shack would work better if you wanted a light to be on during alerts) Can a person own too many weather radios? :grin:
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
My weather radio from rat shack also shows the check operation message if it does not recieve the weekly test.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything