Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57527 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #950 on: August 15, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
you just don't get it
its not about just you, everyone is in this together. Be kind.
the virus is the enemy and people are the solution
break the chain of transmission
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:10:02 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #951 on: August 15, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
On the down side, OSU reports 23 positive COVID-19 cases from sorority:

According to the university, officials learned of the cases Friday night.

"Last night OSU officials learned of 23 positive COVID cases in an off-campus sorority house. The rapid antigen testing was performed at an off-campus health care facility. Due to the nature of this situation, the entire chapter house is in isolation or quarantine and will be prohibited from leaving the facility," a university press release reads. "One member of the sorority who lives elsewhere is among those who tested positive and will also remain in isolation. All involved are currently being monitored by OSU and Payne County Health Department and contact tracing is being conducted to further protect the campus community. The services of a third-party contractor have been enlisted to disinfect the facility and will do so again after the two-week isolation and quarantine period.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/covid-19/breaking-osu-reports-23-positive-covid-19-cases-from-sorority/article_f87a9364-df32-11ea-bc63-eb4dc57de8c7.html

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #952 on: August 15, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
For those who value penetrating intellect, ascerbic wit, and a validated futurist's view, google George Gilder.  He is an unabashed self-promoter, but then he has every reason to be.  His Daily Prophecy is eye-opening.

I apologize in advance if you are offended by him.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #953 on: August 20, 2020, 04:47:37 AM »
Following many customers not masking up or taking other precautions while partying on the strip this past weekend, new emergency bar rules now in effect in Stillwater.  No more dancing allowed, so people now have to go outside of city limits to a nearby rural nightclub called Tumbleweed for that. But for this weekend one of the headliner singers to perform there, Parker McCollum, had to cancel and quarantine, because he came down with it.  After he could not taste or smell, he went to get tested.

The mayor of Stillwater opposes the country music festival Tumbleweed is putting on this weekend and wished the county commissioners could do something about it.  He said, "I don’t think it's time to move back to crowded music festivals at this point.  There’s a reason why you’re not seeing those virtually anywhere else.”  Tumbleweed is where famous country singer Garth Brooks worked as a bouncer and found his first wife.

COVID-19 is something not to be taken lightly. Whether young or old, you don't know what it will be like. In June, a young man in Stillwater came down with it real bad after working in a bar.  He still has lingering effects from it:  https://www.ocolly.com/news/my-experience-with-covid-19/article_90771cf6-dce9-11ea-8258-fbfc393744ed.html

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:08:26 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #954 on: August 20, 2020, 06:13:40 AM »
i hope this image does not disturb anybody amongst others we see these all over the place ..on average a healthy human being takes 12 breaths per minute for natural oxygen intake .if the virus becomes aggressive in your body and weakens you , you will struggle without this treatment could last 10 days or more. the friends i have spoken too who have been through this all make the statement just because your out of ICU it aint over . i get it some will jump and say will say same as being in intensive care for any treatment but make no mistake 9 months ago this was not an everyday obstacle you had to avoid,prevent . unfortunately cases here in turkey are climbing again after a relatively stable period much of this rise in cases is down to gatherings its peak holiday period the weather hot and ideal for vacation. has for schools opening the whole thing is in turmoil and changes daily based on active new cases . we are now seeing whole families becoming infected generally ignited by one member of the family.. these are tough times in adapting and the more you challenge the changes in ways the harder it becomes..

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:15:39 AM by weather34 »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #955 on: August 20, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
our small surge from having no virus in the community (somehow has come across the border) is now coming back under control (only 5 new cases yesterday, and all cases , which peaked at 18 in one day,  are linked as a cluster too) and so hopefully we will come back down out of a regional only level 3 lockdown (ie click and collect still allowed etc) by monday.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #956 on: August 28, 2020, 08:18:35 PM »
Renewed Spiking In Stillwater.  Stillwater back to its June peak of no. 8 city for cases in Oklahoma

Novel coronavirus cases in Stillwater and Payne County continued to increase this week, with a spike of 40 new cases countywide on Thursday, according to the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

Stillwater accounted for the vast majority with 37 new cases, pushing it to 8th in the state for cumulative cases.

The Payne County Health Department reported that approximately 70% of the new cases are in people 18-35 years old.

Stillwater City Manager Norman McNickle said he worries about how the spike among younger people could still affect medically vulnerable populations.

“If you think about it, the 18-24 year olds are often the ones waiting tables, stocking shelves and working other customer service roles,” he said Thursday in a City of Stillwater release. “While they are often not symptomatic, this makes it more likely they can spread the virus to more people.”

Stillwater Medical Center has reported it is feeling pressure in staffing due to an overall high number of patients, McNickle reported.

The hospital later clarified that its high census numbers are due to other illnesses. COVID-19 patients account for less than 2% of the overall patients.

Payne County entered the orange zone of the Oklahoma State Department of Health’s alert system on Friday, when the health department reported average new infections reached 15.23 per 100,000.
More at:  https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/local_news/payne-county-sees-40-new-covid-19-cases/article_89a52698-8d42-5393-bb2f-132ff0ba77ba.html

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #957 on: August 28, 2020, 11:53:20 PM »
I missed two doctor appointments because I had some type of a cold/allergy/low-grade-fever/etc.,.   I went and had a COVID test done, the regular non-rapid type of test.  But, it knocked me out of an orthopedic doctor appointment which was rescheduled for the next week.  It also knocked me out of a cardiology appointment which is now rescheduled for.....May 21st.<sigh>   The test came back negative...I got the results about an hour after my cardiology appointment was supposed to be.  Oh well. 

Well, the orthopedic appointment ended up with having an MRI and I'm slated for surgery next Friday for a large-to-massive rotator-cuff tear...two tendons.  Anyhow, the surgery center where this will take place has a rule that you have to have a COVID test within 5 days of the operation.  I dunno, this may be standard everywhere...????  Anyhow, talking with the nurse on the phone when they had to reschedule the surgery I told her the surgery center had not contacted me about the COVID test.  The nurse told me that looking at my BMI that they *might* not require me to have the test.  I'm just barely overweight for my height, definitely not a Mr. Universe or anything.  But, it sounds like body-mass-index might be something that affects surgeries and COVID testing.  I understand that obesity has been cited as being a bad thing to have in regards to overcoming the virus.  Just something I stumbled upon that I thought I'd share.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #960 on: August 29, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
take your foot of the brake and this virus  quickly takes hold again as its very contagious (and people don't have any immunity so they can spread it easily with out even realising (hence why wearing masks is now a world wide thing..even here we now our wearing them).
e.g
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1200-students-test-positive-covid-19-major-university/story?id=72699871&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_hero_hed
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 04:13:54 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #961 on: August 29, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
... you have to have a COVID test within 5 days of the operation.
Certainly in my UK district it is the same.
I was required to have to have one just for the short experience of a having camera where you don't normally get to see  :shock:

Karma - as a young person the beteljuice was a pain in the bum - now older, has one  :-(
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #962 on: September 06, 2020, 01:10:02 AM »
Unsurprisingly, college towns in America are cracking the current top 20 list for towns with most increased COVID-19 cases with Stillwater no. 13.   But the no. 1 town isn't a college town.  It's the Muskogee, Oklahoma area.  There has been a big outbreak in a women's prison:  https://oklahoman.com/article/5670765/muskogee-area-becomes-a-top-us-hot-spot-because-of-infections-at-prison?ocid=uxbndlbing

What the mayor of Stillwater thinks of the current local COVID situation.  The point made in the 2nd paragraph, I think, is very important:

Local Update
As you know, our community is seeing a large spike in COVID cases. Stillwater currently has 398 active cases, more than double the peak we saw in late June. As we saw then, the large majority of these cases are in the 18-35 year old age group. So far, there has not been a corresponding surge in hospitalizations. The City is in close contact with Payne County Health and Stillwater Medical to track the situation and determine if further action is warranted.

The sharp rise in cases is very concerning, and we must work together as a community to slow the spread. So far, contact tracing shows that these cases cannot be connected to any one activity,  event, or type of business. The cases are also not just in college students. Many of the positive cases are among younger adults who are very socially active and are taking few of the recommended precautions against the spread of disease.

It’s disappointing that so many of our neighbors refuse to take the situation seriously. Yes, many of them will never be seriously ill, but such carelessness has a huge effect on our community. Public schools cannot meet together for class. Non-profits have had to cancel fundraising events. Activities across the board have been limited or shut down. These decisions are necessary because the more the disease spreads in Stillwater, the more likely it is for vulnerable people to be infected, with far more serious consequences. 

Overall, individuals and businesses in our community have been doing a very good job with masks, limiting interactions, and operating safely. I am aware of the White House reports that indicate additional restrictions should be implemented statewide and in our local area. Currently, I’m not sure that it’s worthwhile for the City of Stillwater to adopt these guidelines alone, but I continue to talk with other state mayors and the Governor’s office to push for widespread action in accordance with Federal advice.

No matter what rules or regulations are in place, it is up to each one of us to make the right choices to protect ourselves and each other. Please wear your mask, wash your hands, and watch your distance. Avoid large gatherings. Get tested if you feel sick, if you’ve been in contact with a positive case, or if you’ve been out and about a lot recently. Above all, please recognize that you are part of a community, and we are all counting on you to do your part to keep the rest of us safe.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:00:41 AM by Bunty »

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #963 on: September 12, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
survived surgery.1.5hr operation turned into 3hr.

stay safe.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #964 on: September 12, 2020, 11:00:58 PM »

stay safe.

Glad to hear!  [tup]
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #965 on: September 13, 2020, 01:08:17 AM »

stay safe.

[tup]
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #966 on: September 13, 2020, 05:27:24 AM »

stay safe.
Good news!
Now of course you do know your anny will need maintenance this week. :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #967 on: September 15, 2020, 03:27:24 AM »
That's unfortunate.  Stillwater school sports games all canceled.   Yet, OSU still scheduled to play Tulsa in Stillwater this Saturday.  Doesn't seem fair. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/stillwater-schools-calls-off-sports-games-out-of-coronavirus-concerns/ar-BB192vc2?ocid=msedgdhp

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #968 on: September 15, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »
That's unfortunate.  Stillwater school sports games all canceled.   Yet, OSU still scheduled to play Tulsa in Stillwater this Saturday.  Doesn't seem fair. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/stillwater-schools-calls-off-sports-games-out-of-coronavirus-concerns/ar-BB192vc2?ocid=msedgdhp
$$$$$$$$
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #969 on: September 15, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
$$$$$$$$
You betcha. Covid is rendered inert by money, politics, and rioting.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #970 on: September 15, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
Old school district.  Distance learning only.

New School-JH kids at school with masks. Some virtual.
                   HS kids at school every other day-with masks.
                   Block schedule. working well so far.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #971 on: September 16, 2020, 02:25:31 AM »
$$$$$$$$
You betcha. Covid is rendered inert by money, politics, and rioting.

Yep, point well taken.  No doubt, the Stillwater High School football coach is paid just a very tiny, tiny as much as the Oklahoma State University football coach.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #972 on: September 16, 2020, 02:34:25 AM »
Local Update From Stillwater Mayor Will Joyce - MYTHBUSTERS EDITION: 

-"Only college kids are getting COVID in Stillwater. It's not a risk for the rest of us."

Not true. Yes, the highest portion of cases in Stillwater is among the 18-35 age range. But more than 50% of the population of Stillwater is 18-35. Our median age in Stillwater is 24 years old. The age group of people getting COVID is the same age range who work in offices with you, teach in local schools, serve in restaurants, and volunteer at your church. There is not a separate group of "college kids" in Stillwater that doesn't come in contact with the rest of the community. This is a small city--we all interact together, and we are all at risk for catching contagious diseases from each other.

-"If I want to take the risk of going to a large gathering/not wearing a mask/putting my mouth on the water fountain spout, my decision only affects me."

Not true. COVID-19 is a highly contagious disease. According to the state epidemiologist, Payne County has a very high rate of contagion--that is, the number of people infected by each positive case. We have one of the highest per capita infection rates in the country. That's happening because people who don't realize they are carrying the virus are going out and interacting with lots of other people in lots of places. You are not just taking a personal risk. You are putting other people at risk. And you have no idea how vulnerable those other people are. So even if you're healthy, the person you give it to might not be.

-"Hospitalization numbers aren't very high. No one in my family/at my office/in my school has COVID. We should be able to return to normal."

We have been taking precautions against COVID as a community for six months. Overall, Stillwater has been very proactive in keeping the virus at bay. That's likely part of the reason we've seen relative success in avoiding more serious ramifications. If the precautions being taken are helping, and the virus is still out there, it does not make sense to stop taking those precautions.

I know we are all tired of this pandemic and tired of having to disrupt our lives for the good of the community as a whole. Everyone has lost something during this time. People have lost their jobs and their businesses. Kids are missing their classrooms. Athletes are missing games. Weddings have been postponed. And over 900 Oklahomans have lost their lives because of this virus.

We are all making sacrifices, and we should all recognize and value what each member of our community has lost. When we understand that this is a COMMUNITY-WIDE problem, we will also realize it requires a COMMUNITY-WIDE solution. Each and every one of us must commit to reducing the spread of COVID-19. Wear your mask, avoid crowds, maintain physical distance from others, wash your hands. Please be willing to make these personal sacrifices for the good of your neighbors.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #973 on: September 16, 2020, 07:42:16 AM »
Here is a brilliant counterbalancing albeit self-promoting genius with an excellent track record.  Ignore him at your and America's peril.  Oh, and BTW, bad data and flawed models still inform bad decisions.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #974 on: September 16, 2020, 02:05:47 PM »
@gwwilk
The most important investment story from day to day is still the devastating economic shutdown in the face of a routine medical event. An event that has not even changed the fact that 2020 is one of the lowest years for all-cause deaths in my 80-year lifetime
a routine medical event?
200,000 dead and still 1000 a day dying in the USA with social distancing and mask use, is not a routine medical event
and you do realise that there is mitigation in use all around the world (i.e which lowers the death from the virus)?
(and to quote President Trump , if nothing was done then millions would have died...but no country was going to do nothing..even Sweden mitagation (the easiest is simply social distancing and washing your hands) was voluntary but was still done by the population out of common sense