Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109362 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1325 on: August 05, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »
Well it stopped sending data again this morning, the moment I logged on to it from my LAN. Now debug just shows 'Renew RTD, Renew Hi/Lo' and nothing more.
So...That's it? I Have to buy a new one now?
If I had just kept using firmware v 2.16, I would have a perfectly working logger  ](*,)
Not even sure why I decided to update it.

Not buing. Please contact with Ryan for waranty replacement. You need to send your address to him.
Wait for new one. If second one will be workibg fine, then I need this fail unit.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #1326 on: August 05, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
Well it stopped sending data again this morning, the moment I logged on to it from my LAN. Now debug just shows 'Renew RTD, Renew Hi/Lo' and nothing more.
If I had just kept using firmware v 2.16, I would have a perfectly working logger  ](*,)

Not buing. Please contact with Ryan for waranty replacement. You need to send your address to him.
Wait for new one. If second one will be workibg fine, then I need this fail unit.

OK. Thanks Wojtek. I'll contact him today.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1327 on: August 05, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »

I hope new logger will fix your problem. Problem is not in firmware, but with communication with console. This one is robust (usually).
I am a little worrie about your console. Please let us know when you will have new logger and check it.

If new logger will solve your problem, then I have to have this failure one. Necessarily.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #1328 on: August 05, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »

I hope new logger will fix your problem. Problem is not in firmware, but with communication with console. This one is robust (usually).
I am a little worrie about your console. Please let us know when you will have new logger and check it.

If new logger will solve your problem, then I have to have this failure one. Necessarily.
Thanks Wojtek. Ryan did reply to my email to let me know another was on the way.
I hope it's not the Console either. But in every way that I can see, the console appears to be working normally and problems are more than just comms related. I mean why would the console have anything to do with the screens not loading up and / or looking correctly in the browser? Wouldn't this be a software file issue or at the very least, a corrupted download of a file? I'm just spit-balling here.  :grin: Maybe it's both the logger AND the console. :sad:

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1329 on: August 06, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
edit: nevermind. noob error.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:00:22 PM by rockncola »

Offline Coolio

« Reply #1330 on: August 07, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
Hi,
I just installed my WiFi Logger and connected it to my network.  I was previously using a PC running Weather Display software and uploading to Wunderground Rapid Fire.  The PC is no longer working, and I need a way to upload to Wunderground.  Is there a way to upload my data from my station without using a PC?

Thanks!
Mark

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1331 on: August 07, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
Hi,
I just installed my WiFi Logger and connected it to my network.  I was previously using a PC running Weather Display software and uploading to Wunderground Rapid Fire.  The PC is no longer working, and I need a way to upload to Wunderground.  Is there a way to upload my data from my station without using a PC?

Thanks!
Mark

One of the great features of this logger, is being able to upload to CWOP, WeatherUnderground, etc. without the need of a computer. To do this, log into the IP address assigned to the logger. Then click on setup, then click on Data Export Setup, and enter your upload information. Be sure and click “save” before leaving the logger. You should be good to go now. Questions or issues? Post them in this thread and someone will help you.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Coolio

« Reply #1332 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
Thanks!  I’m back online!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1333 on: August 07, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
It's the best way to be online. So glad I was shown it. No more asking wife to reboot PC when on the road.

Offline Coolio

« Reply #1334 on: August 07, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »
It's the best way to be online. So glad I was shown it. No more asking wife to reboot PC when on the road.

How funny!  That is the exact reason why I got rid of the PC software, and went this route.  Too many times I’ve had to ask my family to reboot the computer and software after a PC crash while out-of-town.  ](*,)

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1335 on: August 08, 2019, 02:19:37 AM »
Is there any way to reboot the device if the white reboot button has broken off? This happened many months ago but the device itself still worked fine.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1336 on: August 08, 2019, 05:35:28 AM »
The whole thing or just the white part? If the former, just short the pads.

If latter a toothpick might clicked the wafer if still in there

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1337 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:45 AM »
The whole thing or just the white part? If the former, just short the pads.

If latter a toothpick might clicked the wafer if still in there

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty sure I've bricked mine trying to update to 2.26. I get the blue light flicker when I put it in but nothing else works. Oh well.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1338 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:09 AM »
White button off, this is my fault. It is because of pb free solder and too big GND pad. I have repaired that in new devices.

How it is behaving now?
Blue LED is blinking only once after power up? Or it is blinking several times and silent?

Because there is no white button. Can you power off console, then power up and when this blue LED blink for the first time, immediately push red button and keep touching for 5-8 sec.?
Can you check if WiFiLoggerSetup network will apear?

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1339 on: August 08, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »
White button off, this is my fault. It is because of pb free solder and too big GND pad. I have repaired that in new devices.

How it is behaving now?
Blue LED is blinking only once after power up? Or it is blinking several times and silent?

Because there is no white button. Can you power off console, then power up and when this blue LED blink for the first time, immediately push red button and keep touching for 5-8 sec.?

Just one blink. Tried many times holding setup button for 5-10 seconds as soon as light blinks but still no WifiLogger network. I think she's dead. :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:34:19 PM by rockncola »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1340 on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:10 AM »

How it is behaving now?

Just one blink. Tried many times holding setup button for 5-10 seconds as soon as light blinks but still no WifiLogger network. I think she's dead. :(

One short blink after power up is vendor module info.
Severals blinks this is WiFiLogger firmware info.

I will send you replacement, but this will take some time to reach Australia. Please send me your address on priv.

Issue like this can be repaired with USB <->UART cable.
Like this: ebay

But because white button is needed for that. I will send you new unit.

Offline hazardc

« Reply #1341 on: August 16, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
 [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup]

Cannnot say enough good things about WIFILogger and Wojtek!!!

I have had half a dozen of these scattered within a 50-mile radius all summer without a single hitch!!! Amazingly solid product!!

The only issues I ever experience is logging into the initial hotspot for the wifilogger configuration, it can take a little patience for the "hotspot" to work right, but once it does you get it on the network and it's flawless!
University of Toledo
GLOBE/GISAG Lab

Offline Papa

« Reply #1342 on: August 25, 2019, 07:08:15 AM »
I have had a Vantage Pro for 16 years. Want to replace with a Vantage Pro 2. Need to be able to upload to WU. Like the idea of the WiFi logger but I need it to plug and play. 54 pages of programming changes concerns me. I have no coding knowledge and do not wish to learn. Will this thing just plug in and work. Currently using an Ambient Weather WS2902a that was very easy to set up and it just works.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1343 on: August 25, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
I have had a Vantage Pro for 16 years. Want to replace with a Vantage Pro 2. Need to be able to upload to WU. Like the idea of the WiFi logger but I need it to plug and play. 54 pages of programming changes concerns me. I have no coding knowledge and do not wish to learn. Will this thing just plug in and work. Currently using an Ambient Weather WS2902a that was very easy to set up and it just works.

Yes. I have two of these loggers and they are very easy to get up and running. And if you have any issues, this Forum or the developer himself, Wojtek will help you.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1344 on: August 25, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
I second that. It's plug and play.

Offline posixx

« Reply #1345 on: August 26, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Yes, very easy to setup using webpages.

@WifiLogger: when will the new firmware be available using separate json files? On my home-assistant installation i receive a lot of "can't decode payload" errors during the day. when this happens the json is not complete; most of the time it stops at ""hlxh0":[". I hope this is resolved using the partial files.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1346 on: August 28, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
Yes, very easy to setup using webpages.

@WifiLogger: when will the new firmware be available using separate json files? On my home-assistant installation i receive a lot of "can't decode payload" errors during the day. when this happens the json is not complete; most of the time it stops at ""hlxh0":[". I hope this is resolved using the partial files.

I have stop firmware developing on the beginning of July. I am playing with hardware now. I haven't planned wasting so much time with this hardware, but I have to finish it.
In same time you have remind me that I have to secure some behavior.

wflexp.json will stay as an option 2.
Option 1 will be PHP&MySQL export.
How it works.
- every 3s (adjustable) it will send real time data JSON. Very similar to current, but without hilows and "---" now are "null" (JSON standard)
- every 3 minutes JSON with hilows will being send.
- when archive data in data logger will be made, then upload procedure will be triggered.
    - first step ask database what was the last entry.
    - send data from last entry.

It will work with this procedure, but if you like to capture only real time data, then there is no problem your script will sense only this JSON.
I will have to test WiFiLogger when there will be no response from dummy PHP.
I was planning this feature as a pair. WiFiLogger export and PHP script 1:1. Maybe it should be more liberal.
I was also thinking about feedback. When WiFiLogger will export any data to PHP -> MySQL, then with confirmation, it could receive some instruction to apply to console.
  - set time
  - synchronize time with ntp
  - blink using backlight
  - change some settings
  - etc.

Offline posixx

« Reply #1347 on: August 29, 2019, 05:09:24 AM »
I am using MQTT exports, using wflexp.json to update sensors in hass. But as i mentioned, the wflexp.json is not decoded correctly due to some problem with the output. Do you have any idea when the new json formats will be available?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1348 on: August 29, 2019, 05:26:46 AM »
I am using MQTT exports, using wflexp.json to update sensors in hass. But as i mentioned, the wflexp.json is not decoded correctly due to some problem with the output. Do you have any idea when the new json formats will be available?

Probably I will back to firmware developing next week.

Please take a look on new JSONs for PHP&MySQL
wflid is station MAC as decimal number.
for MQTT I propose
registration.json -> WFL and console info send as retained on reboot
rtd.json every 3 sec.
hilow.json every 3 minutes.
last archive as retained every time when new arch will be avaible.

Offline posixx

« Reply #1349 on: August 29, 2019, 06:48:54 AM »
Looks very good! Your suggestions for MQTT are great, retained for register, and 3s / 3m for the other files.

Looking forward to get this new functionality!

Frans

anything