Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184218 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #325 on: January 31, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
I am going to wait a while before I can get into my site and stop the whole thing.  WU can have the physical data, the camera stuff , BAH.

With the Bloomsky camera, images are updated , well never..  no control in the frequency of upload

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #326 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
My PWS data upload and page is much improved and I have no complaints. Webcam has been last down 2 days. Ben has posted on Trello the problem with webcams, is server load balancing. Two of the  their 8 servers are trying to handle all the load. The Webcam code was written years ago, and the authors are gone.    snip......

If I were Sean, and getting beat to death, I would not post either. What can he say that he has not already said. He sure does not have time to answer PM form users. I'm sure Sean boss done want him spend 2 hours a day blogging on this site.

very well said, about sums it up.  Ben and Sean can work the problems or blog.   I vote for work the problem.  It's getting better everyday.
Server load allocation is a complex and common problem with sites like this.  Air craft tracking sites work this issue all the time.
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
What can he say that he has not already said. He sure does not have time to answer PM form users. I'm sure Sean boss done want him spend 2 hours a day blogging on this site.
A simple "Thanks for the information, we're still working on it.  Here's what we found this week" once per week would go a long way toward calming the natives.  Riding into this forum promising "transparency" and better customer service and then going dark pretty much confirms what everyone has thought from the beginning...that the ship is sinking.

Apologizing for them doesn't get anything done.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #328 on: January 31, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
What can he say that he has not already said. He sure does not have time to answer PM form users. I'm sure Sean boss done want him spend 2 hours a day blogging on this site.
A simple "Thanks for the information, we're still working on it.  Here's what we found this week" once per week would go a long way toward calming the natives.  Riding into this forum promising "transparency" and better customer service and then going dark pretty much confirms what everyone has thought from the beginning...that the ship is sinking.

Correct Well said!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline NanoWx

« Reply #329 on: January 31, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »
WXDailyHistory.asp sometimes returns summary info that is way off. For KORCONDO1, 30Jan2018, the server script returned THigh 59.4, yet in the details for that day, THigh was 43.2 .

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #330 on: January 31, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »

Correct Well said!
+1
The very least a developer should do at the end of the week is update Trello.com with status.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:16:56 PM by azchrisf »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #331 on: January 31, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
Quote from: azchrisf

The very least a developer should do at the end of the week is update Trello.com with status.

Why change a habit of a lifetime  :lol:
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline NanoWx

« Reply #332 on: January 31, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
WXDailyHistory.asp sometimes returns summary info that is way off. ...
When daily details are incomplete, that server script can also return some strange summary info. See a number of stations (such as KORHEPPN3, or KORHEPPN4), for 09Jan2018.

Offline astrokareny

« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
I have experienced most of the issues people have reported here, but most seem to have been resolved over the past several weeks. My current concern is WunderMap. I have not used WunderMap regularly since the WunderMap app became outdated, but I noticed last night that of the 11 stations in my small town currently showing up on the maps on individual weather station pages, only 3-6 of them are showing up on WunderMap. When the map updates every minute or so, sometimes a station drops off, then reappears the next update a minute later. My station which reports regularly, and has done so since 2011, is not one of the stations that shows on WunderMap. I do not think it is a QC temperature issue, because my temps were about the average of those displayed. From what I read here, it sounds like one of the glitches that needs fixing. I would love to go back to using WunderMap if it gets fixed. Additionally, if there is something I need to do to get my station to display (a box to check somewhere, etc.), please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:28:22 AM by astrokareny »

Offline adamstefan

• Pszczyna, Staromiejska ILSKIEPS2
« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2018, 03:12:18 AM »
Hello, I have removed the wrong data in the table (Weather History Table )but they keep coming back, what to do about it ???
Why is not the corrected data saved? how do I change the data in the table so that they do not come back.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
I'm seeing activity on the Trello page. Looks like a few things were addressed yesterday.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline avatar42

« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
As a someone that has been building websites since the 1990s I would hope you are building a good set of regression tests but the randomness of the errors I've been seeing for months now says you are not. I logged in one day and found none of my stations were even linked to my account anymore for crying out loud! For every issue you are seeing reported here you need a regression test to make sure each build you push is not a step backward. EVERY SINGLE CHANGE SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE MATCHING TEST. You can't just keep checking stuff in and pushing a build daily. Google Jenkins on how to setup CI.

And do not even think about anymore feature changes till you get the current mess sorted.

FYI PAID member since 2012 with 3 stations (one of which I STILL can not get linked to my account after several months) who USED TO BE one of your biggest supporters.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
Bummer.  :-(  Been checking the status of my Status daily for the past month and still isn't working. 

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
... I would hope you are building a good set of regression tests ...

I would certainly hope so as well. If not, there's going to be a ton of work hours expended chasing ghosts; yet, there'll never be a satisfactory product if a robust software development methodology hasn't been implemented.

Good post, 42.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:02:52 AM by Felix1 »

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #339 on: February 05, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Bye Bye Stats. Bye Bye Camera.  :shock:  :evil:  :-(  :roll:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
I've been watching the log for my camera uploads (not using PASV) and it's been well over 99% successful the last 24 hours. Now if it's actually updating the image on the site is another question...

Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline n4khq

« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
Sean has probably stopped reading post here, when you work your tail off and get criticized and told what you should be doing, it not very motivational. I'm sure many people don't realize the complexity that Sean and the team are dealing with; it much more than a webpage. I'm guessing if WU told us one weather station they supported and the uploading software to us, it would be much easier. In addition, weather station owners vary greatly in technical ability. Let me give you an example. My software started loosing connection to the weather station about the same time I returned to talking on HF amateur radio. I did not see how it could be WU fault but the guys on the software site told me to quit posting, it was WU. The problem was occurring about the same time in the morning. I recently started talking to some ham friends in the morning and running an amplifier. The 500-1000 watts RF was getting into my USB connection from the weather station to the computer. Davis Vantage Pro2 two manual warns about RF interference but I have forgotten the warning. My problem was not something I should expect tech support to fix. My guess is about all the team can do it is change a line or two of code and see what happens, they will get it patched together enough for the users to limp along buying time to start rewriting and updating the code. I have seen much improvement sense Sean first post. Thanks

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2018, 01:49:32 PM »
If his skin is that thin then maybe he's in the wrong business.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2018, 04:31:18 AM »
Web site/page designers are not usually the ones dealing with the customers/people/users and thus do not need 'thick skin'.

The customer service representatives are the one in need of 'thick skin' as they have to deal (for hours/days/weeks) with (in too many cases, not overly polite) customers/people/users...  :roll:
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
Web site/page designers are not usually the ones dealing with the customers/people/users and thus do not need 'thick skin'.

The customer service representatives are the one in need of 'thick skin' as they have to deal (for hours/days/weeks) with (in too many cases, not overly polite) customers/people/users...  :roll:
And I will repeat myself again...if his skin is that thin then maybe he's in the wrong business.  I'm not putting the guy down.  I think he had some gumption about him to show up here, but if he has abandoned the thread due to negative comments then he is definitely wrong for this job.  If you come into a group of people who are disgruntled, dissatisfied, or even maybe angry with your product it's best not to send in a timid recluse who is not accustomed to dealing with people, but rather someone with people skills and experience who can handle the negative feedback that they should surely anticipate.  He/she could just have easily came here and quietly searched the sub-forum "WeatherUndergound" for existing issues that WU uploaders have.  Then they could have quietly started improving things and maybe later post a "We hope you've noticed an improvement..." thread. 

I have nothing against WU.  I've uploaded my data to them for almost five years now...good data.  They've mangled it, shut off my camera-feed, etc., but the only thing I've done is set my uploads to a longer interval...I figured since it was most likely not going to be correct that I wouldn't waste too much bandwidth uploading it.  But, I'm still one of the most "on the money" station in my area...and WU continues to receive that data.  I wish WU and the new folks there the best.  But, I'm no WU-fanboy, I'm supplying them with data that is their lifeblood...without the PWS' scattered out across the country they wouldn't exist...and they're not doing it for the love of weather reporting or because they like me and want to give me a free place to present my weather data...they're doing it for $$MONEY$$. 

So, in regards to Shane, or whoever it was posting...either he's been really too busy to sign on and make a brief mention of "we're working our butt's off" or either he couldn't stand the heat and had to get out of the kitchen.  Again, I wish them the best...whatever the situation is...but I won't be hear holding my breath for them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:41:47 AM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2018, 12:09:32 PM »
Some things have gotten exponentially better in most areas.  Long way to go.  If you want perfect weather data, you should control every aspect from readings, collections, computation and display.  Trusting any part of data process to third party process voids any hope of "accurate" data. 

On the other hand if you want fun hobby level local weather information WU is still the most robust player.   

This is just my opinion.  May the frost be with you.
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2018, 01:13:50 AM »
Well, they released a "fix" for the favorite and home selection issues and managed to break it even more. That function is now totally unusable.

I am pretty sure nobody at WU knows what they are doing.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2018, 04:13:50 AM »
My name is Sean and I work at the Weather Underground.  There have been some big changes in the organization in our company.  We are a new team that has been tasked with working to bring WU back to a working state, with the users as our primary focus.   Our goal is to be fully transparent with the community as we work to resolve some of the issues with the Weather Underground products, particularly as it relates to our PWS users. 

Our hope is that with some communication and some sharing of our plans as clearly as possible, we can help to make changes for the positive.  Our initial goal is to start pinpointing PWS issues that you all are experiencing.  We are already aware of a number of issues that are affecting a large portion of the PWS user base.  One thing we would like to know from you is the #1 issue you are having.  If you have specific issues with your PWS, feel free to private message your email and PWS ID.

We know that many of you are frustrated by your experience.  We are going to do our best with what we have to improve, and to be as transparent as possible about our progress.

EDIT:  Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/hqC0tb0u/weather-underground  This contains the current issues we are tracking.  We have enabled comments so don't hesitate to comment on the board for specific issues.  Please continue to let us know what we need to focus on to make the products better for you.

Maybe you could start by responding to emails?

Regards

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
Well, who knows what's going on in Sean's life the rest of the WU crew.  They may be overwhelmed, they may be having to break some things to ultimately fix things.  Who knows?  His sudden disappearance isn't really good PR work, but there again I don't think he was a public relations guy.  When I signed up with WU I figured it was a simple "sign up", set my software up to upload my data, and "Whatever will, be will, Que Sera, Sera...".  I wasn't paying WU to host my data and I wasn't really putting out a tremendous amount of effort to have my data hosted there.  I figure I'm doing my part and if it gets bad enough that I need to cut out that little bit of bandwidth the uploads cost me then I'll do that.  But, for now I'll continue my data uploads and hopefully they can use it and many other weather stations' data to help them get the kinks and bugs out of WU.

I hope Sean and his crew work through this and hope that he shows back up.   I would guess that 99.999% of us are hobby wx station operators and should enjoy the hobby the best that we can...if we start sweating things too much then it isn't really fun anymore.  Some of us do this for the enjoyment of tinkering with technology, some of us for the love of nature and weather, some of us in a desire to give a service to our community, and some of us for many other reasons.  But, I'd bet that most of us is a big rock soup of all of those things.  If WU is aggravating you, if it makes you angry or frustrated that your weather cam isn't showing up or your data is screwed up...then close your WU account and exert your energy elsewhere.  BUT, how much trouble is it to keep your data flowing to them so they have something to work with and maybe, just maybe they'll get the edges knocked off and get WU running smoothly.  Even though I might poke fun at WU, I hope it survives and improves.

Sean, if you're reading this you really ought to stick your toes in the pool and let us know how the temperature is at WU...to calm the natives. ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »
Well, I'll give credit where it's due.  Their visible satellite and other images that died Jan 3rd are back up and running.  So I've added the visible view back to my Saratoga template homepage.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

anything