Author Topic: Weather cam to monthly calendar style web page?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline plectron25

Weather cam to monthly calendar style web page?
« on: April 21, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
I am looking for either a hosted solution or local software that will let me pull in image from a weather sky cam and post them with a thumbnail image of the noon conditions on each day of a calendar, then allow you to click that day to see a timelapse of the full day's weather video, then back out to watch a timelapse of the full month and full year for the seasons changing.

I believe that Weather Underground offered pieces of this functionality in the past, but no longer reliably support skycams as I see discussed in this and other forums.

I have a roof mounted Vivotek fisheye camera that nicely captures the day and night sky.  Using the Sebectec  IPTimelapse software to FTP images to Weather Underground including night time "stacked" images that decrease the noise and let you see some stars worked years ago.  I can readily store the capture images locally, but would really prefer to make them more accessible for others to view, while minimizing the need to open up ports on my servers for potential hacking.

I would pay for a reasonable amount for a hosted solution (this is for home hobby use), or purchase additional software.

Below is a sample of the image from one of my cameras for two days this week.  Quite a range of weather activity to watch!

Any suggestions for display options?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DenVinces

Re: Weather cam to monthly calendar style web page?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 01:04:46 PM »
It's a great idea to give users the ability to find detailed weather conditions for each calendar day. However, I have never heard of the existence of such software. I don't know much about it because I use printable calendars to write down all the critical events, weather, and things I need to do. Maybe you should hire a developer or a programmer to write your new software. In the future, you will be able to create your own application, which will become very popular. I am sure that you will succeed, the main thing is not to give up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:40:49 AM by DenVinces »

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 09:24:51 AM »
I use https://webcam.io for my time lapse images. They are very reasonable, and trouble free. Their software scripts are very easy and it is refreshing for a webcam company to actually do exactly what you want with zero issues. I would give them a look.

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 09:52:23 PM »
I am looking for either a hosted solution or local software that will let me pull in image from a weather sky cam and post them with a thumbnail image of the noon conditions on each day of a calendar, then allow you to click that day to see a timelapse of the full day's weather video, then back out to watch a timelapse of the full month and full year for the seasons changing.
This is not quite what you are looking for, but I list out my images in a similar fashion to what you want. It should be easy enough to include a thumbnail of the noon image.
Sky Camera History

It is a simple PHP script that uses the time lapse and noon images in a single directory. Downside is that, as is, the script expects the filenames to be in a specific format.

"sky_camera_Noon_20230118.jpg" for the noon images where 20230118 is in YYYYMMDD format and
"sky_camera_20230107.mp4" for the videos, again with the YYYYMMDD format date.

The text bits can be anything, but the date is that way to make sorting easy.

Attached is bit of code that creates a table as show on the example page.

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:42:31 AM »
Like this: https://novawx.dscloud.me/202301.php? I capture a still image at about noon each day and save it on my server. Each image links to that day's 24-hour timelapse.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 11:44:53 PM »
Sky Camera History

Nice display of historic images.

btw, you need to update the clock in your camera, or point them to  ntp server to update automatically. :)
Brendan,
vk4blp
IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 08:01:59 AM »
btw, you need to update the clock in your camera, or point them to  ntp server to update automatically.

I'm not sure what you mean - the clock is correct.

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 05:18:36 PM »
btw, you need to update the clock in your camera, or point them to  ntp server to update automatically.

Your one is, Sky_Watcher's camera are not. :)
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 05:33:06 PM »
 \:D/ Phew, I thought I was going crazy! Thanks for clarifying - I should've noticed what comment you were responding to.

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 03:31:03 AM »

Your one is, Sky_Watcher's camera are not. :)
The red date at the top is correct, however, the camera, for some reason unknown to me, turns on the ID "AI CAM" and the white datetime, no matter how many times I have told it to turn off those displays. This is an old camera that requires an obsolete browser to get the command menu to work, so I have given up trying to stop it.

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 06:03:16 PM »
The red date at the top is correct, however, the camera, for some reason unknown to me, turns on the ID "AI CAM" and the white datetime, no matter how many times I have told it to turn off those displays. This is an old camera that requires an obsolete browser to get the command menu to work, so I have given up trying to stop it.

What a pain for you. I guess it requires Internet ExploDer or something ancient to get in to it.
Brendan,
vk4blp

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »
What a pain for you. I guess it requires Internet ExploDer or something ancient to get in to it.
It requires Safari 5 which was the final Windows release in 2010.

anything