Author Topic: New to Ecowiit - would like advices and informations ! :)  (Read 1399 times)

Offline astrolus

New to Ecowiit - would like advices and informations ! :)
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
Hello Guys !

I am new on the forum and new to Weather Stations.  [tup] 

In fact, I registered on the forum 5 years ago because I wanted to buy a weather station and wondered which one... but finally my plan fell through and I forgot about it during 5 years. Not totally forgot, I had this in mind allt his time but I always postponed it for many reasons.

But I finally decided to go ahead !!!  :grin:
Yesterday, after lots of hesitations between Ecowitt, Ambiant Weather, Acurite, WeatherFlow and Netatmo .... I finally bought an ECOWITT station !

The main reason for my choice is the number of functionnalities (sensors) that I can add, the possibility to separate the sensors : wind vane, the rainfall sensor and the temp in different places, and also the price because I am in Canada and everything coming from US seems to be overpriced with exchange rate and customs fee, but Ecowitt is selling directly all the sensors from amazon.ca and prices are quite low comparing to all over brands.

This is what I bought  :
 - GW1004 (it is a bundle with GW1000 WIFI Gateway + Temperature/humidity sensor WH31)
 - WH40 (Rainfall sensor)
 - WS68 (Anemometer)
 - WH41 (Air quality sensor)
 - WH51 (Soil moisture sensor)

My first purpose is to monitor weather and build my own database of local weather data, make statistics and comparisons,...

But It will be nice also to have a display, of course I know that I can buy a display console from Ecowitt, but I am wondering if I can simply use a tablet to display my data with a weather software ?

Can you give me some advices about which weather software to use in order to build a database, make statistics, comparisons, graphics and also be able to acces it from a tablet/cell phone?

And also, an other "nice to have' would be to be able to integrate with Google home / Google nest hub, and IFTTT. For this, while reading the forum, I understand that I need to buy a licence from Ambient Weather but I still need to read more to understand exactly what I need to buy, because I didn't see anything like this on Ambient Weather website...

I am totally new, so don't hesitate to give me advices !
Of course this forum is full of informations and I intend to do lots of readings on this forum.

Thanks !

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: New to Ecowiit - would like advices and informations ! :)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »
I have a gw1003 and use Personal Weather Tablet Android app on an old tablet, works a treat. Well worth it if you have an old tablet lying around.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »
For a monitor, I would recommend the Ecowitt HP2551c.

To send your weather to Ambient, you will need a weatherbridge. https://ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

Just plug the weatherbridge into your router and plug the GW1000 into the weatherbridge. This will also allow you to send your weather many other places easily.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 04:27:21 AM »
Welcome to the fraternity!
I would recommend the HP2551C console as it really is a great display for the weather data. However I also use alongside this an old android tablet running PWT( Personal Weather Tablet) which is relatively cheap android app. Its very useful in that it allows you to customise what you want displayed.

I personally also use a RaspPi 3b running CumulusMX to perform my local database/analysis, however there are other choices you can run.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:35:26 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline astrolus

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 11:36:42 AM »
To send your weather to Ambient, you will need a weatherbridge. https://ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

Just plug the weatherbridge into your router and plug the GW1000 into the weatherbridge. This will also allow you to send your weather many other places easily.

oh … this little piece of equipment "WeatherBridge" is nearly 310$CAN on amazon.ca !! I will think twice about it  :eek:

I thought the GW1000 Gateway was already sending data to internet (WU, ecowitt.net...).
Do I really need the WeatherBridge in addition to the GW1000 ?

It's a game changing information because for about 400$ I can buy a whole Weather station WS-2000 from Ambient Weather and I understand that with a station from Ambient Weather, I don't need the WeatherBridge to broadcast the data on wifi, it is integrated all-in-one (correct me if I mistake…)…. In this case maybe I am better to cancel my order of Ecowitt station and buy directly an Ambient Weather station. It's a pity because I liked very much the ability to separe sensors on différents locations instead of having everything in one device.
Oh… I need to think twice !! Maybe I order to fast  :roll:

But I read somewhere on the forum (can't remember where…) that we can just buy a licence from Ambient Weather for 100$ to be able to use their API and so use IFTTT and Google home integration. Do anybody knows about this option ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:39:55 AM by astrolus »

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 02:09:15 PM »

oh … this little piece of equipment "WeatherBridge" is nearly 310$CAN on amazon.ca !! I will think twice about it  :eek:

I thought the GW1000 Gateway was already sending data to internet (WU, ecowitt.net...).
Do I really need the WeatherBridge in addition to the GW1000 ?
The GW1000 sends already data to the internet - if you are happy with the browser interfaces of Weather Underground, Ecowitt.net etc. or use the PWT (Personal Weather Tablet) Android app with an old (or new) tablet,
or are happy with the WSView app live data, (or all that together), you don't need the HP2551 console. It only doesn't send to ambientweather.net - for the ambientweather.net features with Google, Alexa, IFTTT, see below.
But if you want an independent and good looking console which can show all the Ecowitt sensors, then the HP2551 is a nice piece.

It's a game changing information because for about 400$ I can buy a whole Weather station WS-2000 from Ambient Weather and I understand that with a station from Ambient Weather, I don't need the WeatherBridge to broadcast the data on wifi, it is integrated all-in-one (correct me if I mistake…)…. In this case maybe I am better to cancel my order of Ecowitt station and buy directly an Ambient Weather station. It's a pity because I liked very much the ability to separe sensors on différents locations instead of having everything in one device.
Oh… I need to think twice !! Maybe I order to fast  :roll:
See above - the HP2551 console isn't a must - the same with an Ambient WS-2000/5000.
But I read somewhere on the forum (can't remember where…) that we can just buy a licence from Ambient Weather for 100$ to be able to use their API and so use IFTTT and Google home integration. Do anybody knows about this option ?
The original software is Meteobridge (MB) (sold under Ambient license as Weatherbridge and contains with Ambient the license to post to ambientweather.net resp. use their feautures).
Meteobridge (see www.meteobridge.com) can be used in different setups [re-purposed router, with or without a SD card - mainly for Davis stations: Nano, NanoSD], as an appliance (Meteobridge Pro) or installed on a RaspberryPi (B or 4) for a whole host of stations. If you have this solution (MB), you can add an Ambient license for USD 100 to benefit from the Ambient features.
see also https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39066.msg401843#msg401843
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:16:25 PM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline astrolus

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
OK ! Thanks for your answer !

So if I understand it right :
The GW1000 is sufficient to send data to internet.
But, it will send data only to some plateforms like WU, ecowitt.net.. And it won't send data to some other plateforms like ambientweather.net.
And since only ambientweather.net allow to use IFTTT and google/alexa integration, then that's the main reason the weatherbridge is needed. Is that correct ?

For the moment, I will wait to receive my station and begin to play with GW1000 only without the WeatherBridge and I will see later if I really need/want to add the WeatherBridge. :D

I also noticed that WeatherBridge is less expensive to buy directly from Ambient Weather than from amazon.ca, even with the shipping and exchange rate and all. So finally it's "only" 225$CAN instead of 310$CAN from amazon.  :lol:
(Strange because ecowitt sensors are lots less expensive from amazon than from ecowitt website, so I thought it should be same for ambient weather things, but not, it is the contrary !)

It is still quite confusing for me why there is so many weather plateforms and which one is the best to use, and do we need a software in addition to the weather plateforms or can we do statistics and graphs directly on the weather plateforms ?
Probably I will understand better after playong with it a while… ;)

Thanks !

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:44:43 PM by astrolus »

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:38:05 PM »
OK ! Thanks for your answer !

So if I understand it right :
The GW1000 is sufficient to send data to internet.
But, it will send data only to some plateforms like WU, ecowitt.net.. And it won't send data to some other plateforms like ambientweather.net.
And since only ambientweather.net allow to use IFTTT and google/alexa integration, then that's the main reason the weatherbridge is needed. Is that correct ?
YES
For the moment, I will wait to receive my station and begin to play with GW1000 only without the WeatherBridge and I will see later if I really need/want to add the WeatherBridge. :D

I also noticed that WeatherBridge is less expensive to buy directly from Ambient Weather than from amazon.ca, even with the shipping and exchange rate and all. So finally it's "only" 225$CAN instead of 310$CAN from amazon.  :lol:
(Strange because ecowitt sensors are lots less expensive from amazon than from ecowitt website, so I thought it should be same for ambient weather things, but not, it is the contrary !)

It is still quite confusing for me why there is so many weather plateforms and which one is the best to use, and do we need a software in addition to the weather plateforms or can we do statistics and graphs directly on the weather plateforms ?
Probably I will understand better after playong with it a while… ;)

Thanks !
And since only ambientweather.net allow to use IFTTT and google/alexa integration, then that's the main reason the weatherbridge is needed. Is that correct ? YES. Plus with the weatherbridge you can sent it many other places like cwop (noaa) and more.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 11:40:22 PM by platokidd »
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 06:55:07 AM »
If I remember correctly, even meteotemplate can send to IFTTT

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »
Hi!

And since only ambientweather.net allow to use IFTTT and google/alexa integration, then that's the main reason the weatherbridge is needed.
The real question is, why do you insist on IFTTT? What exactly are you going to do with it? Perhaps there are better ways to make your wishes come true. The desire for Google Home and / or Alexa is also not entirely clear to me.
What added value does that bring?
If you already use a 24/7 computer such as a Raspi, you could connect a lot of other services via FOSHKplugin and use the weather data to control other things - without using any cloud services - just locally.
The connection to Ambient Weather (and thus to IFTTT and Google Home/Alexa) would also be possible with FOSHKplugin and the $100 VW ANET license from Ambient Weather.
The only question is, what exactly do you need? How do you imagine that?

Probably I will understand better after playong with it a while…
That sounds like a reasonable plan. With the technology from Ecowitt, all paths are still open to you later. If you use a ambient weather station, you are bound there.

Regards, Oliver

Offline astrolus

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »
The real question is, why do you insist on IFTTT? What exactly are you going to do with it? Perhaps there are better ways to make your wishes come true. The desire for Google Home and / or Alexa is also not entirely clear to me.
What added value does that bring?

In fact, it is not the main purpose of my Weather Station.
The main purpose is just to monitor the local weather and to have my own database of local weather.

But it's a funny "nice to have". For example :

What I may would like with my current Equipment (if I add the weather bridge thing) :
 - Ask for a verbal weather report to Google Home
 - Power on/off outdoor or indoor lights depending on the light sensor value.
 - Send alert by email/notification if temp drop under a defined value or above a defined value
 - Send alert if wind gust is above a defined value
 - Send alert if soil moisture is under a defined value

What I may would like in futur if I add some equipment :
 - Control a watering system for my garden, depending on soil moisture, temperature and rainfall values.
 - Send alert if temp is above a defined value in my greenhouse (so I can go to open it)
 - maybe one day... control windows opening or windows blinds depending in the indoor temp and the rainfall...  :D

Some things like this…

Thanks for the advice of FOSHKplugin … I will read about it.
I think I have a lots of readings to do :D
It seems to me that the Weather Station's world is full of tools, plateforms, softwares, … It is a lot to learn and understand for a begginer. (and furthermore because my first langage is not English so it takes me more time to understand what I read)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
I don't recommend the Ambient WeatherBridge. It is too old and limited in CPU power and RAM and it only gives you very basic Meteobridge software features, no data storage and no graphing...etc.

If you are interested in a Meteobridge, then I recommend running that software on a Raspberry Pi to gain all the Meteobridge features and great user interface performance. You can then add the $100 Ambientweather.net license.

If that is still too pricey then you can use FOSHKplugin to upload to Ambientweather.net, with said $100 license. But realize that the license will be tied to the MAC address of the Meteobridge or FOSHKplugin device.

Ambientweather.net license:
https://ambientweather.com/amwevwamweac.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:58:02 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 03:42:27 PM »
This is what I bought  :
 - GW1004 (it is a bundle with GW1000 WIFI Gateway + Temperature/humidity sensor WH31)
 - WH40 (Rainfall sensor)
 - WS68 (Anemometer)
 - WH41 (Air quality sensor)
 - WH51 (Soil moisture sensor)

Maybe you need a WH32 Temperature/humidity sensor  because WH31 is not seen as main sensor but as Extra sensor.
This mean that in sites like wunderground Temperature/humidity is not seen.

I made a modification in CumulusMX source code to view a WH31 as main sensor but then I bought a WH32.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 04:03:53 PM »
I agree with Zoomx. You should get a WH32 and a good radiation shield. Not the RS-00001 as it performs very poorly.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline astrolus

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 07:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice !
What is the difference between WH31 and WH32?

Both are temp/humidity sensors but WH31 cannot be seen on WU ?
Si what is the advantage of WH31 ? (It's same price!)

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 04:41:10 AM »
The WH32 is an outdoor T/H sensor, the one whose data would be reported to WU.

From all possible Ecowitt (and clone) outdoor T/H sensors (outdoor here is the manufacturer definition by which the so-called "Highlander principle" comes into play: i.e. there can only be one! ), i.e. the WH65 7-in-1 outdoor array, the WS80 5-in-1 outdoor array and the WH32 single T/H outdoor sensor, the WH32 has the highest priority when a console (GW1000, WH2650, HP2551, HP350x) receives their signals together (unless it is deliberately deactivated in/via the WSView app).

The WH32 is meant for configurations, where either the outdoor array doesn't provide T/H data or where you want to get the T/H reading in a place different from the array location.

The WH31 comes in different flavours and is a so-called extra T/H sensor, which can be put anywhere, indoor, outdoor, but which is not reported as the main outdoor T/H sensor by the console. It's reported as an extra T/H sensor. There are 8 WH31 possible per console (3 DIP switches define the channel [23=8] by which it is identified by the console). See also https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 (pictures and footnotes).

The WH32 is not to be confused with a WH32B, the indoor Temp/Hum/Pressure sensor, which comes with certain packages where the console (e.g. WH2650, HP2551) doesn't have their own T/H/P sensors inbuilt.

From the outside the WH31, WH32, WH32B look at first glance very similar. The text print under the display usually (sometimes missing though or incomplete) tells the WH32B from the other two.
In/on the display the WH32 shows only T/H, the WH31 T/H plus a channel number and the WH32B cycles its display between T/H and pressure.
(You can, of course, in principle, place a WH32B also outdoor, but its T/H reading will always be reported as indoor by the console.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:18:49 AM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline zoomx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 06:02:45 AM »
In hardware the differences between WH31 and WH32 are the presence in the first of the micro switches and some solder pads that I believe are used for configuration. The LCD is the same.

Maybe using the same solder pads of WH32 in WH31 can change it's behaviour and act as a WH32 but I never tested it.
Inside the harware may be little different since many configuration are possible, I bought some sensors from other supplies, solded as different denomination (eg WH32N) but all were recognized as WH31. Inside small differences, one has a DCF77 receiver, another one no micco switches but a switch with only three positions.
I believe that the hardware is always quite the same, Fine Offset just add or remove some components to obtain different models.

anything