Author Topic: New Weather Software  (Read 64357 times)

Offline dean.martin

Re: New Weather Software
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »
Jos,

I tried to remove the connection between the Davis Console(receiver) and the ISS(transmitter).

FYI.
The Console has these sensors;
  Inside temperature
  Barometer
  Inside Humidity

While, the ISS has these sensors;
  Rain
  Wind
  Outside Temperature
  Outside Humidity
  UV sensor
  Solar sensor

And this is what will happen, of-course the console will no longer receive the data from the ISS. no rain,wind, out temp and so on. So then, the data was archived in the datalogger on the console with out data from the ISS. I then tried running your software to see the data from the console only but this is what appears

It appears that Temperature and wind speed has readings in the display even no data came from the ISS and the values are very untrue. The Barometer and Inside Temperature are correct and updating but the wind and temperature remain and won't disappear. Also, I would like to ask, the Humidity in the display, is it inside or outside humidity? it is showing also wrong value.

Sometimes, Some of our station also showing wrong values for a few seconds then will update the display back to normal readings. Please see attached files. I also attached my "Weather Program" folder.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:58:45 AM by dean.martin »

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
Lots of good ideas.

I was wondering what would happen when the console quit receiving data from a sensor. I guess that answers that question.. I experienced problems in the past with our PeetBros Station when it would loose a connection with a sensor, but at least they set it up where it would not effect the length of the data string by replacing the sensor value with special characters. Since we are on the topic, That's actually what the connected sensors list was for. I would use what sensors the user told my software was supposed to be connected to be able to tell if the sensor failed or if it wasn't there in the first place.

I still need to implement CRC checking and data string length verification on the Data from the Console. I suspect that's whats going on. Also, I think what I'll have it do when it encounters an error connecting to the station I'll have it clear the current values, this should also prevent errors showing up elsewhere. If that still doesn't solve that problem, then what I'll do is start adding bad data thresholds, where if for example the temperature exceeds say 150F it will be considered as a bad reading. Or maybe a rate of change threshold, where if the temperature changes by more than say 1.5F between readings it would be considered as bad.

The Displayed humidity is outside. Its interesting that its displaying 255, that's the highest value that can be stored in a single byte.

For a software name, 'WeatherView' is out because its been taken by other software.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
Jos,

I have additional suggestions;

1. *.stn files in WxStations Folder in Weather Program Folder should be automatically named based on the station name.
2. Add "Reference ET (Reference Evapotransperation)" in data logs. This can be calculated. You can have this for reference from davis; http://climetua.fis.ua.pt/legacy/main/current_monitor/WLinkExpVar.pdf
3. Add Feels Like(or Heat Index) for temperature in the display.
4. Add Uploading of Historical Data, *.txt file exported from weatherLink software to your software or add a download button to each station to download archived data from Davis TCP/IP data logger and then will update the software logs. In that way, The Data that is not logged during the software is out or not running or the internet connection is out will also be archived to the software logs direct to the database when the software reconnects to the network.  #-o If possible.
5. A time update status of the station. A status in the display informing users how long the station recently received data like this on WUnderground widget (below image) at the bottom part.

Thanks =D>

1. I actually had them named that way in the past, However when I changed the way my software manages settings I wanted them to be loaded back into the program in the same order that the user had added them, hence to sequential numbering. If your thinking about being able to modify their contents with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad, right now you won't be able to. The reason is because of the way they are written to the HardDisk, Their wrote using a binary record based system. So modification of any of the contents will screwup those records and thus ruin the file. Now that I think about it, I can switch to a text based method, like the one for the main "settings.txt" file.
2. Reference ET, It would be calculated, yes. Anything that can be calculated would not be logged to a database just to help keep the total size down.
3. I believe the Feels-Like value is actually the Heat-Index when the temperature is at or above 80F and and is the Wind-Chill when the temperature is at or below 50F. My software has Both the Heat-index and Wind-Chill just to the right of the Outside Temperature. I've been thinking about combining them into a Feels-Like value, but am still not sure about it.
4. Yes, It is possible to add something like that. Maybe an auto download option...
5. That would be a good idea. It would not be hard to do either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:52 AM »
In you last post you seem to be saying that you will make a broad approximation to use for apparent temperature.

There is a detailed article on this subject with a number of references to technical papers on the Australian Government Bureau of Meterology web site at :

http://www.bom.gov.au/info/thermal_stress/

Perhaps you might like to consider using the formulae there to calculate this value to use in your suite of programs.

I have used these formulae on my website (http://www.kstwx.net/index.php) and my calcs line up exactly with those quoted on the BOM website for many weather stations in Queensland.

with best wishes

griffo42 (Keith Griffin)
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
Keith,
Thanks for the links.

Yes, I was making a broad approximation. Its a good thing I haven't combined the Heat-Index and Wind-Chill in the way i was thinking about doing it. I usually research the formulas behind the values, However I hadn't looked this one up yet. Thanks for making my work a little easier!

<Thinking out load> With the Heat-Index and Wind-Chill there, I'm not sure how useful having an approximation of the WBGT (Wet Bulb Globe Temperature) would actually be. Well, Aside from taking into account the Solar Radiation.

Anyway, I'm not ready to remove it from my todo list yet, but it has been pushed further down by other things. Like for example, Handling the case of a lost connection between the ISS and Console.

I like how the page you linked gives a brief history and explanation of the formulas.

Looking closer at the formulas, It looks like I could practically do a "Copy - Paste" right into my code. That really simplifies things.

For those who are wondering what the status of the next update is,
I'm working on it.
Amongst other things I've decided to change how the Station location is stored to make it easier to convert between different formats. This is of course is taking longer than expected. In the process I've discovered a bug effecting the Sunrise and sunset times leftover from when I shifted it to the Station Editor window.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
I like the program. I think the large screen easy read of the data is great.

I would hate to see you reduce the size of the data by very much.

Next. I caution not to fall into the trap that Weather Display and to some extent Cumulus have in trying to make the program do everything that every possible user might want.

I personally use WUHU as my main program just because it is simple and uses very little resources.

Every WX program has to find it's own nitch.     I think yours is gona be the large screen and the fact that in can gather and display data from multiple stations no matter the brand.  Assuming you stay on that track.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
How are you storing your data?  Database?  Flat file?

Also, for a name, how about YAWSS  (Yet Another Weather Station Software).  :)  Seriously, with Cumulus on sabbatical and the source for WeatherDisplay  AWOL, you are the new ranger in town!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »
Seriously, with Cumulus on sabbatical and the source for WeatherDisplay  AWOL, you are the new ranger in town!
Not quite current!
Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1097) - Jun 20 2014
and full active ongoing support.

Paul

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
I like the program. I think the large screen easy read of the data is great.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I would hate to see you reduce the size of the data by very much.

Next. I caution not to fall into the trap that Weather Display and to some extent Cumulus have in trying to make the program do everything that every possible user might want.

I have no plans on reducing the size of any of the data. I like it the way it is, and that's really the motivating force behind working on this. I'm also adding things that I would find useful, if other people like it, Great, if they don't, well that's their decision.

I like getting suggestions and ideas from other people because someone will inevitably suggest something that I didn't think of, yet I would still find useful.

Every WX program has to find it's own nitch.     I think yours is gona be the large screen and the fact that in can gather and display data from multiple stations no matter the brand.  Assuming you stay on that track.

I agree with you there. Really the only thing that makes my software stand out from the rest is the way things are displayed. If I where to abandon that my program wouldn't really have anything left to stand on.

How are you storing your data?  Database?  Flat file?

Also, for a name, how about YAWSS  (Yet Another Weather Station Software).  :)  Seriously, with Cumulus on sabbatical and the source for WeatherDisplay  AWOL, you are the new ranger in town!

Data is being stored to an SQLce Database. That part still needs work. I plan to really overhaul it later, but for now its functional.

LOL: I will admit that yes, it is another Weather Station program, however I'm not going to abandon it mostly because I've enjoyed working on it. It's also really been a learning experience. By programming for weather stations I've had to research what goes into formulas and in the process am learning considerably more about weather then I believe I would have just looking at a console. no offense anyone.
I do get your point though. There are a lot of other programs out there for communicating with Weather Stations.
Maybe I could go with YAWSP  (Yet Another Weather Station Program).  :-) :-) Seriously, that might not be a bad name. I think its sorta catchy.

Quick Status update,

I'm still testing the altimeter adjusted barometer for the CWOP uploads. However, here are a few things you guys can look for in the next update once I upload it. Unfortunately, since I've changed what format the station coordinates are stored in, the old settings files will generate errors. (I know, I thought I fixed that.)

Added an Option to choose what format the station Coordinates are entered in.
Fixed the Barometric Pressure for the CWOP uploads so it uses a Altitude adjusted pressure instead of the raw station pressure. (Again, I'm still working in this one)
Added a Station Elevation Input. (ASL or above Sea Level)
Added an elapsed time since last data was received from the station.
Added CRC Checking on Data from Davis Stations to the program. (Since I don't have a Davis Station I'm Not sure if this works.)
Added Examples to the Station Location input.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
JAWSS!!  JUST Another Weather Station Software.  :)  I'll take a peek at SQLce
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »
Josiah

My station uses a Davis VantageVue and does have UV or solar radiation sensors. 

Anyway, here is the code which calculates Apparent Temperature and is now part of my system: use it how you like but do please make sure it does what you want it to.  I use the temperature, windspeed and humidity values which the system observes.

$TC = $temperature;
               $HU = $humidity;
               $AWS = $avgspd;
                  if ($TC == 0) {
                     $TC = 0.01; }
                  if ($HU == 0) {
                     $HU = 0.01; }
                  if ($AWS == 0) {    
                     $AWS = 0.01; }
               $EXXP = (17.27*$TC/(237.7 + $TC));      
               $POWR = pow(M_E, $EXXP);
               $EEE = ($HU/100*6.105*$POWR);
               $ATEMP = ($TC + 0.33*$EEE - 0.7*($AWS*1000/3600) - 4);
               $ATEMPR = round($ATEMP, 0);
               $feelslike = $ATEMPR;

best wishes with this and please do let me know how it all works out by a post later.

Keith Griffin,
Brisbane Australia
Cumulus latest version

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2014, 07:28:13 PM »
JAWSS!!  JUST Another Weather Station Software.  :)  I'll take a peek at SQLce

LOL That's a good one. Although people might get the name confused with the movie "Jaws".
SQLce (SQL Compact Edition) is basically a portable version of SQL. The reason I chose SQLce instead of a full SQL was I wanted to remove the requirement of having a full SQL server installation, while still being able to use the SQL database system.

Keith,
Thanks for the code, although I do have a question, What programming language is that in?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
JAWSS... Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...  LOL  SQLce is fine; same API as the full version (I just realized I have a copy on my SS2008 box!).  Maybe down the road have an SQL  option for the Linux crowd.  But keep going.  You might even get me to rethink my move over to Meteobridge!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
arrrrrgh.....
Wish I had a barometer that actually gave me the local pressure, instead of one that's a "Set the starting pressure, and it measures how much it changes".
So basically at this point I have no way of telling if the Elevation Corrected Barometric Pressure formula is working.

It does look like everything else that I can test is working though.

I've uploaded my latest work, Version [1.1].
For those connecting it to Davis Stations, Let me know If you start getting 'CRC check failed' messages.

JAWSS... Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...  LOL  SQLce is fine; same API as the full version (I just realized I have a copy on my SS2008 box!).  Maybe down the road have an SQL  option for the Linux crowd.  But keep going.  You might even get me to rethink my move over to Meteobridge!

What I was getting at with the SQLce and portability is I can send all the SQL files needed to work with databases (SQLce only though) with my program, meaning that users have one less thing to have to install and manage. This started since I didn't want to install a full SQL server on my Weather PC just to be able to log weather data. So it made things easier for me and I'm sure others would appreciate that as well. I'm not even going to get started on the "License Agreements" of both the SQLce vs SQL and the programming software I'm using just to be able to let people try my software. ugh...

It does have its limitations though. Databases are limited to like 4GB in size. Which for logging Weather data, that's still a good amount. When I was thinking about porting my software onto a micro-controller, I think I figured I could get around 12-15 years into 1GB. Interestingly, I would be able to expand that to upwards of 16 or 32GB if I can remember correctly.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
I Just remembered that I need to Change the text on the Tool Tips for the Station Location formats. So for now just ignore them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:25:43 PM by Josiah »

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
Josiah

It is in PHP - easy!!!

Keith
Cumulus latest version

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »
Jos,

For a name. What about AWSI (Advance/Automatic Weather Station Interactive Software)? because it now allows flow of information between different stations and your software specially with the Davis Stations although it was not yet tested in Vantage Pro. I will try to test it on VP maybe next week and on Vantage vue with a USB data logger.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Josiah

It is in PHP - easy!!!

Keith

Thanks, Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the PHP language. However, that won't stop me from figuring it out.  :grin:

Jos,

For a name. What about AWSI (Advance/Automatic Weather Station Interactive Software)? because it now allows flow of information between different stations and your software specially with the Davis Stations although it was not yet tested in Vantage Pro.

AWSI (Advance/Automatic Weather Station Interactive Software) :-k   Interesting... Maybe AIWSS (Advanced Interaction Weather Station Software) or drop the word 'Station'.

I will try to test it on VP maybe next week and on Vantage vue with a USB data logger.

That would be great if you could do that. Thanks!

By the way, Has anyone tried the latest Version [1.1] with a Davis Station yet? If you have, is it coming up with any 'CRC Check errors'? You might have to check the "Error_Log.txt" file to find them.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
AWSI (Advance/Automatic Weather Station Interactive Software) :-k   Interesting... Maybe AIWSS (Advanced Interaction Weather Station Software) or drop the word 'Station'.

"AIW Software" would be nice or Ad-InWx Software (Advance Interaction Weather Software) it's like ADding-IN a weather station to your software- a double meaning  \:D/

By the way, Has anyone tried the latest Version [1.1] with a Davis Station yet? If you have, is it coming up with any 'CRC Check errors'? You might have to check the "Error_Log.txt" file to find them.

Jos, tried the latest version [1.1] with 3 VP2 and it says CRC Check failed on the 2 station and Lost connection to the other one station. I attached the "Error_log.txt" file

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »

"AIW Software" would be nice or Ad-InWx Software (Advance Interaction Weather Software) it's like ADding-IN a weather station to your software- a double meaning  \:D/

Ad-InWx , That would probably be better.

Jos, tried the latest version [1.1] with 3 VP2 and it says CRC Check failed on the 2 station and Lost connection to the other one station. I attached the "Error_log.txt" file

That's what i thought might happen. The Documentation provided by Davis wasn't very clear on how to implement it.
Thanks for the Error_Log.

I'll work on it tomorrow. It's like 11pm here right now.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »

Ad-InWx , That would probably be better.

Better I think also. But still its up to you. I hope we could come up with fix name for the software to avoid confusion.

That's what i thought might happen. The Documentation provided by Davis wasn't very clear on how to implement it.
Thanks for the Error_Log.

I'll work on it tomorrow. It's like 11pm here right now.

Oh I see. And It's like 11am here right now. By the way, your welcome. I will keep on looking forward to your software updates. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:11:29 PM by dean.martin »

Offline yojlirpa22

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Hi Joshia,

Already tried your new weather software and it's AWESOME  :grin: It really helped us, weather software users, to view and monitor the current conditions of weather stations in just one window. Super great job  =D&gt;

But, there is one minor detail, the feature LOG DATA FROM THIS STATION is not working. How can we view the logged data from our weather stations using your software? And, maybe, in my opinion, you should also add a feature that could automatically insert the logged data into a database, if this is possible.

Thanks  :-)

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
dean,
I'll decided on a name later, for now I just wanted to get a few more ideas for naming it. Who knows, If I get enough suggestions and I can't decided between some of them, I might put it to a vote. we'll see.

I will keep on looking forward to your software updates. Thanks.

I'm glad hear your looking forward to my updates.
I've really appreciated you help with this.

Hi Joshia,

Already tried your new weather software and it's AWESOME  :grin: It really helped us, weather software users, to view and monitor the current conditions of weather stations in just one window. Super great job  =D&gt;

But, there is one minor detail, the feature LOG DATA FROM THIS STATION is not working. How can we view the logged data from our weather stations using your software? And, maybe, in my opinion, you should also add a feature that could automatically insert the logged data into a database, if this is possible.

Thanks  :-)

yojlirpa22,
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

The LOG DATA FROM THIS STATION should be logging data to an SQLce Database in a folder labeled 'LoggedData' that's located in your 'Documents/Weather Program' folder.
Your Documents folder may be labeled 'My Documents' or 'Documents' depending on what Version of Windows your running.

Currently I do not have a way to view the data. I'm planning on overhauling the data logging portion of my software, so be prepared for things to really change. The things I have in mind could render old Databases incompatible.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »
There are lots of SQL viewers out there.  Like this one for SQLce:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/compactview/

anything