General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Conditions Discussion

Superstorm 1993.

(1/1)

ocala:
Any eastern US residents remember this. 28 years ago today.
I was living in south Florida at the time. What a squall line!
https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Superstorm93

vreihen:
Remember it like it was yesterday!  Believe it or not, I jumped in my car at 10:00 PM in upstate NY armed with printouts of NWS forecasts from Weather Underground (the pre-WWW telnet site at U-Michigan) from along the route and drove all the way to Daytona Beach, Florida.

I saw the first snow in Maryland on I-95, and the roads were approaching impassible by the time that I reached central Virginia.  The temperature on my car's thermometer was slowly climbing, so I knew that the rain/snow line was near.  There was a VA trooper on the side of the road with road flares, setting up to close the road by an exit.  The truck in front of me kept going on I-95, and I followed in his tracks with the dashboard thermometer at 29F.  I saw the flares moving across the highway behind me, so I'm pretty sure that I was the last car out of the northeast before they closed I-95.  About 15 miles later (over an hour of driving), the snow turned to rain.

That was the point when the wind picked up, and I saw several trucks toppled on the highway between NC and FL.

One weird thing happened on I-95 as I approached Pedro's enclave at South of the Border (on the NC/SC border on I-95).  The wind/rain stopped, the sun came out, and the temperature jumped up into the 50's.  It was as if the storm had an eye!  Only lasted for about 10 miles, and then back into the winds with rain.  I saw it in one of the .GIF loops in the link above, as a dry spot and not an eye.

There was wind and flurries all the way from GA to Daytona Beach, and the beach was empty with high surf the next day.  I had to replace half of the sun porch screens at our family's winter place from storm damage, and neighbors on the street lost car ports and screen porches.  Two co-workers left home a few hours ahead of me, and they were in a hotel in St. Augustine when the roof blew off.

From reports at home, we had over 2 feet of snow, work was closed for 3 days, and there was a state of emergency for a few days.

Kids, don't try this at home.....  :roll:

vdeal:
Yep, remember it well. 23" of snow in Morgantown, WV, where I was at the time. Broke out the cross country skis in the trailer park. The mountains probably had 3+ ft of snow. That one was memorable along with the winter of 77.

CW2274:
January, 1978, southern shore of Lake Erie in Ohio, record 28.28 inHg. Needless to say the lowest pressure I've ever experienced. Couldn't even see the parking lot during the event...or after for that matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version