Author Topic: How do you have your weather radio(s) configured?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline PaulKTF

How do you have your weather radio(s) configured?
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
I'm just wondering how you guys have your weather radio(s) configured as far as what county(s) it's set up to monitor and what events it is set up to alert you for and which you block?

I configured mine to alert me for my county only, and only for these events with a voice alert:

Blizzard Warning.
Flash Flood Warning.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Tornado Warning (this one can't be turned off unless you turn off Alerts altogether for safety reasons).
Winter Storm Warning.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:13:37 PM by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: How do you have your weather radio(s) configured?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
CL-100 with everything on. Weekly alarm silent but LED and message visible. Set to my local county plus next county over where I commute to work.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »
CL-100 with everything on. Weekly alarm silent but LED and message visible. Set to my local county plus next county over where I commute to work.

I would be so mad if I was woken up just for a Severe Thunderstorm Watch. :)
-Paul.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
Well I dont keep it in the bedroom. It is in the kitchen. So it's no bother. I've had it for 5 years. I think it has maybe woken me up twice in all this time and I live in Central Florida where we get some severe storms. But most of these bad storms seem to never happen in the middle of the night. In Florida it's just a late afternoon thing and then it's over. I'm not saying it doesn't rain in the middle of the night but it is hardly ever enough to trigger a warning.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:04:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:46 AM »
I'm just wondering how you guys have your weather radio(s) configured

I configured mine to

Mine is set to 'Off' and configured on a shelf in a closet somewhere, I forget where.

For some reason our WFO was sending tones multiple times for the same event, even when that event was cancelled.  I got so tired of the bleeping thing bleeping every bleeping ten minutes I bleeped the bleeping thing.

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:38:23 AM »
I'm just wondering how you guys have your weather radio(s) configured

I configured mine to

Mine is set to 'Off' and configured on a shelf in a closet somewhere, I forget where.

For some reason our WFO was sending tones multiple times for the same event, even when that event was cancelled.  I got so tired of the bleeping thing bleeping every bleeping ten minutes I bleeped the bleeping thing.

Are you sure you didn't just have it set to All Counties and you were getting Watches or Warnings for each County near you as they were issued? I had that happen to me too before I understood the S.A.M.E code concept and Event Blocking.
-Paul.

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »
I'm just wondering how you guys have your weather radio(s) configured as far as what county(s) it's set up to monitor and what events it is set up to alert you for and which you block?

I configured mine to alert me for my county only, and only for these events with a voice alert:

Blizzard Warning.
Flash Flood Warning.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Tornado Warning (this one can't be turned off unless you turn off Alerts altogether for safety reasons).
Winter Storm Warning.

I have a 4 weather radios, 2 of which have the SAME code feature.

My Midland WR-120 is setup for the entire listening area of my local station (KIH62 - Fresno), but I have it as a visual alert rather than a siren because most storms around these parts aren't that dangerous (though we had 2 tornadoes this year within 50 miles of me). I might turn it to the siren setting if there is a big threat during the upcoming night, but that will probably not happen anytime soon.

My other SAME equipped radio is the Acurite portable model. I used it as my main model for over a year, but once I got the Midland, I switched it to a frequency without a station. The Acurite was nice, but the alarm was excessively loud, and was right next to my ears in the bed. I got pretty mad because California storms are not usually worth getting 90 decibels screeched into your eardrums at 3 AM. So, technically it is on, but unless my Midland goes bad, it isn't going anywhere.

My other radios are: Midland ER210; It has the feature of a siren when the 1050 Hz signal occurs before a warning, but I don't use the feature at home. It is my primary travel radio, so in the event I travel to somewhere like Oklahoma, I can put the alert feature to use. The other radio is forgettable, just an iRonsnow IS088U+, which is a $20 emergency radio I got a while ago. It doesn't have any alert feature, but I keep it around, as it is waterproof.

So, all of the radios have some function, but I mostly use the Midlands.
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline Subzero

• Meteorologist/Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »
Mine is a WR-120, have it configured for all alerts. It's configured for my county and counties to the north/south/west of me. It never alerts me if I receive anything other than a Severe Thunderstorm / Tornado warning or flood warnings.The NWS WFO I asked said they don't do it for any winter warnings or anything like wind advisories or anything of that nature.