Author Topic: Question about calibration  (Read 2631 times)

Offline blaforest

Question about calibration
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
Hey all. I was just curious as to how accurate the VP2 rain gauge is out of the box and whether or not it could use some additional calibration. Some information I've found suggests that Davis rain gauges, at least in the past, were usually off +-10 to 20% when compared to other gauges. Does this still hold true or are the newer units pretty accurate out of the box?

My new unit should arrive tomorrow and while my site isn't necessarily the best setup I at lease want the rain gauge to accurately report rainfall for its location. I also purchased a Stratus 4" gauge that I plan to mount right next to and at the same height as the ISS to compare readings and to have an additional source for rainfall measurements. Can't wait until tomorrow!!  :grin:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Question about calibration
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
Hey all. I was just curious as to how accurate the VP2 rain gauge is out of the box and whether or not it could use some additional calibration. Some information I've found suggests that Davis rain gauges, at least in the past, were usually off +-10 to 20% when compared to other gauges. Does this still hold true or are the newer units pretty accurate out of the box?

My new unit should arrive tomorrow and while my site isn't necessarily the best setup I at lease want the rain gauge to accurately report rainfall for its location. I also purchased a Stratus 4" gauge that I plan to mount right next to and at the same height as the ISS to compare readings and to have an additional source for rainfall measurements. Can't wait until tomorrow!!  :grin:

It's my experience that the rain gauge could use a little tweaking (I just used the bias in the software).  However, you will also notice that the accuracy will vary depending on the rainfall rate.  It may tend to under-report during high rainfall rates.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
Hey,
Your VP2 could be very accurate, or, not very accurate. I won't tell you how to calibrate your VP2, I'll tell you how I calibrate mine. I have my 4" gauge mounted close to my VP2 ( not same pole which can cause some difference). I have recorded every rain event since Sept. '06 and every time I get an accumulated total of .5 to 1' precip., I record the 4" gauge and compare it to the VP2 total. This way I average different types of rain events. I make small adjustments to the VP2, never more than 1 full turn of the adjusting screw. You will get lost in the woods if you make 2 or 3 turns. Remember to adjust each screw the same amount.

Congrats on a great purchase.

George

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
My VP2 rain gauge has been perfectly accurate when compared to a nearby CoCoRaHS gauge.  However, Greg is right that accuracy is a function of rainfall rates and will under report during high rainfall rates.  We don't usually have high rainfall rates here and all my comparison tests were at rates of much less than one inch hour.

Another factor that will affect the accuracy is wind speed during the rain fall.  IMHO, the Davis collecting cone with it larger diameter collection area will be more accurate than a 4 inch CoCoRaHS gauge if the wind speeds are moderately high during the rain.  In this instance the CoCoRaHS gauge will under report the rainfall.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
I use roughly the same set up as George Richardson. The only difference is that my gauge is mounted on the backside of the 4x4 and the Davis gauge is mounted on the front.
I borrowed a Novalynx calibrator from a forum member and calibrated mine.
Since doing the calibration the two gauges are about .01 to .02 off with the Davis gauge always lower.
As mentioned above during heavy rains the Davis gauge will under report.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
...The only difference is that my gauge is mounted on the backside of the 4x4 and the Davis gauge is mounted on the front...

Have say that I initially read 'the 4x4' as referring to your SUV and that you were perhaps trying trials to test the effect of different wind speeds on rain catch. But I guess I was wrong and the truth is more mundane than that. :-)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
Just to drive home the point about heavy rain. Last night I had a quick intense rain storm that lasted about 5-7 minutes. The Davis gauge recorded .09. The plastic gauge .23.
Two days prior I had a long sustained rain for about an hour. The Davis gauge recorded .53. The plastic gauge was .54.

Offline bwh13

• precip enthusiast
  • installing te-525 in the woods
    • my homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »
Don't know if this thread is dead yet, but I'll put my 2cents in:
I've worked with a handful of different tipping buckets, and I've noticed something that I'm calling 'instrument interception' with just about all of them.  This is the left over rain that sticks to the cone, or the debris screen, or is left in an untipped bucket.  This rain eventually evaporates and doesn't get recorded.

Has anyone ever seen how much screen there is on a TE-525?  There is probably just as much surface area on the screen as there is on the cone.  I've checked on these gages after a storm and seen enough drops hanging on the debris screen to count for a couple of tips.  My guess is that in low intensity rainfall events, these tippers are under-representing the total.

I've haven't done the research on this, but I would imagine that a similarly sized orifice on a bulk gage, would probably record more rain than a tipper would.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »
I'll leave it to our scientific experimentors, but with 108.8 drops per tip of a VP2 bucket, I seriously doubt more than 1/2 of a bucket tip would ever stick to the cone/screen.

JMO

George

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
I would have to agree with George  here. Just can't see a couple tips being stuck to the walls or the screen.
It's probably not a bad idea to clean the bucket itself though. Also putting something like RainX on the inside would insure any residual drops would run down.

Offline bwh13

• precip enthusiast
  • installing te-525 in the woods
    • my homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »
Okay, so maybe I was trending toward hyperbole, however, I still stand by my assertion that low intensity, short duration rainfalls are under-represented in part due to instrument interception / evaporation.
You can just make out the screen in this pic.  There is a whole lot of screen there.