Author Topic: Siting VP2 on dock / boat lift ?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Snowda

Siting VP2 on dock / boat lift ?
« on: May 05, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
I'm trying to determine best options for placement of a VP2 on the end of our dock.  My preferred placement is on the upright for the lift canopy. How high above the canopy (medium blue Sunbrella canvas) would the rain/temp portion need to be? How high for the anemometer (or how low can I reasonably get by with give it'd be at least 150' from anything other than the lift)?

2nd option would be to try to extend one of the dock supports up higher but stability could be an issue and my wife isn't thrilled about it being there vs part of the lift structure.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Thanks,

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Siting VP2 on dock / boat lift ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
The canopy support location will be the most turbulent due to the proximity to the canopy.  The pier support location will still get turbulence from the canopy. 

On the opposite side where the flags are would be better.  Or, back halfway(?) out the walkway where whatever structure that is is located would possibly be the best.

33' is the standard recommended height for the anemometer.

Sometimes you have to compromise. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »
there is no perfect place for most PWS owners

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Snowda

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 09:17:41 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, I think her words were something like "you're planning to ruin my dock with a what? Why?" :-) 

For her - the less obtrusive the better. I think for good measurement - the more obtrusive the better.  Ummmm...

With mounting on the lift - what measurements will be impacted, how much, for how high?  If the ISS is 1' above the canopy vs 2' above? If the anemometer is 4' above vs 12' above? E.G., how important is each foot higher for each?

Thanks,

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
So is this dock (pontoon by the looks?) floating? If so then that's not good. The access walkway appears fixed on posts? Yes/No?

Offline Snowda

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
It is not floating. It's 4x10 aluminum frames w/ Brock vinyl deck panels.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:07:59 PM »
Everything is a compromise.  4' is better than 1'....12' is better than 4'.  The closer to obstructions (lower) then the more wind speed and direction will be affected along with rain measurements.  Rain-gauge should be (I think) at least 4' above the local terrain (top of canopy).   If I had my druthers, I'd "druther" it be away from that canopy...unless you can get the anemometer high.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Snowda

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
I don't think getting the anemometer up higher should be too much of a problem - longer pipe. The difficulty might be in getting it properly oriented facing north but I should be able to do that.

The ISS and rain gauge would seem a bit more difficult. Is if realistically feasible to mount both the ISS and anemometer to the pole as it lay on the dock and then tip the whole package up and secure it to the lift? Otherwise it seems it might be a bit more difficult to mount the ISS up very high with the pole in place.  A telescoping pole would come in handy for this project!

Thanks,

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 09:14:59 PM »
The anemometer comes with 40' of cable, there is no requirement to mount the ISS with or at the same height as the anemometer

Offline Snowda

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 11:27:16 AM »
Yes. But the ISS should be a bit above the canopy? 3-5'? The anemometer about 3-5' above that?  So with the canopy at 8' above the dock I'm looking at a 16' pipe with the ISS being about 11'-13' above the dock and the anemometer 16' above the dock?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:30:33 AM by Snowda »