Author Topic: Texas weather station conciderations  (Read 691 times)

Offline Solarman61

Texas weather station conciderations
« on: January 31, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »
Hello All,

Newbie here! Apologies if this may not be where I should ask/post this.

I recently ran across a Texas Weather Instruments WRL-128 system complete w/ the everything except the anemometer
fully working. for $50 I found an anemometer for about $100

I don't know much about it but looked like a pretty cool setup for getting started. any suggestions or things to consider would be great ley appreciated.

Thanks  [tup]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Texas weather station conciderations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 04:30:23 PM »
Don't buy it!  Send the seller's address.  LOL  https://www.weathermarket.com/[texasweather]_[wrl]_[mainframe].htm
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »
The only time I've ever had a TWI system go sour was with a lightning strike.  Very robust.  The sensors are a problem but there was a recent posting for a wind sensor (I assume that is the one you are referring to and I'd snap it up).  With Kev's work and eventually mine, there is likely to be a way of re-creating a temp / humidity sensor very soon (by spring?).

The RS-232 interface goes well  into a USB dongle and from there, any of the software packages will work.  I, of course, have a soft spot for Weather-Display. Inexpensive, a lot of support, Brian H. keeps updating it, and while a little weird to get some of the fine points ironed out, a whole forum exists for that. 

I have a bunch (don't ask my wife how many) of WRL units around.  The big thing is if they are configured for which wind head (theirs, RMYoung and Tex Weather (still in business but awfully costly) but absolutely no way to know what to do to the board and the firmware to switch around.  Some have solar and the input to that is pretty simple if you are lucky enough to  have that.

Their display cannot be beat.  Green numbers visible from across the room in any light. Not wireless but still good.  As I was saying if there is a problem with the boards other than the areas I mentioned, the stack of three that are in the case can be popped apart and another one can be swapped out. 

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide (and if positive grab that wind sensor) and let us know how you do.

Dale
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:52:43 PM by DaleReid »
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Solarman61

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:10:50 AM »
Thanks folks for your valuable input here.  :lol:

As a kid I was that kid that had to take everything apart to find out how it works  :grin:(Grand-pows gene)
I haven't been on the inside workings of the directional and wind speed devices yet!! but as you mentioned optical encoders, I'm very familiar with the technology. one of my telescopes has such encoders for my drives and it can be controlled via RS232 or wireless. I would like to gain any and all info regarding types of units/sensors that may work with this system. as well as setting up possible external alarm relays.
-one example is that I have a 8' CSP (concentrated solar power) mirror and tracks the sun and I've build a standalone rain sensor that will park the mirror (mirror facing the ground) when unfavorable weather prevails. wind would also be nice to control it too.

Again thanks for your help and input.

Offline Solarman61

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »
Well I got the beast! I must say i love it so far. I picked up anemometer that should be here soon! I've been looking at what software may be available for this unit. have made an adapter /USB cable to work off my laptop.
Does anyone recommend any logging software for this? pref free?  :grin:
Attch- unit pic [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

]Thanks

anything