Author Topic: The snow melted, my Davis VP2 Christmas gift is up!  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Rightdude

• Me. Now.
The snow melted, my Davis VP2 Christmas gift is up!
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
The snow finally melted, the roof wasn't icy, so I was able to get my awesome Christmas gift from my wife up and operational!

As I try to figure all of this out, both my weather station and the message board, I thought I would start with pictures of my setup. Looking forward to more weather fun!
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: The snow melted, my Davis VP2 Christmas gift is up!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:09:12 PM »
Congrats on the Xmas gift. I know you must have been itching to get it installed.
The anemometer placement looks pretty good. Just about all of us have issues with that because there usually isn't a acceptable place in a suburban environment.
The temperature sensor on the other hand is not in a very good place. When the sun shines on that shingle roof the heat is going to radiate right up to that sensor and skew your readings. Not knowing the layout where you live is it possible to place it over grass about 5ft high? That would give you a more accurate reading during full sun.
Just a suggestion.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »

The temperature sensor on the other hand is not in a very good place. When the sun shines on that shingle roof the heat is going to radiate right up to that sensor and skew your readings.
Just a suggestion.
Skew? That will destroy his readings, even after the sun is well down. The ISS must be moved if you want any accuracy for temp/humidity.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »

The temperature sensor on the other hand is not in a very good place. When the sun shines on that shingle roof the heat is going to radiate right up to that sensor and skew your readings.
Just a suggestion.
Skew? That will destroy his readings, even after the sun is well down. The ISS must be moved if you want any accuracy for temp/humidity.
It was his first post. Just trying to break it to him gently. :-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
Please try to follow this, best you can. ISS gotta come off the roof....
http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »

Just a suggestion.
It was his first post. Just trying to break it to him gently. :-)
Of course. He's obviously here to get sited as best he can, but that surely ain't it.

Offline Rightdude

• Me. Now.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the subtle suggestion, and the not so subtle (destroy is a pretty definitive use of a word  :shock:). Thanks also for the link to mounting suggestions. Guess I've got a lot to learn!

I've got another possibility in the back of our yard that might work better for the ISS, once I can dig a hole in the frozen ground, without having my wife cringing at the thought of my putting it in the middle of the lawn :grin:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the subtle suggestion, and the not so subtle (destroy is a pretty definitive use of a word  :shock:). Thanks also for the link to mounting suggestions. Guess I've got a lot to learn!

I've got another possibility in the back of our yard that might work better for the ISS, once I can dig a hole in the frozen ground, without having my wife cringing at the thought of my putting it in the middle of the lawn :grin:
With the ISS so close to the shingles, the radiated heat from the sun will render the unit completely unreliable, even well after sunset. If you're completely overcast or in perpetual darkness 24/7, it'll be fine, hence "destroy". Having a well sited PWS is almost always difficult, but truly necessary for proper data. GL....and with the wife too!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »
Congrats on the Xmas gift. I know you must have been itching to get it installed.
The anemometer placement looks pretty good. Just about all of us have issues with that because there usually isn't a acceptable place in a suburban environment.
The temperature sensor on the other hand is not in a very good place. When the sun shines on that shingle roof the heat is going to radiate right up to that sensor and skew your readings. Not knowing the layout where you live is it possible to place it over grass about 5ft high? That would give you a more accurate reading during full sun.
Just a suggestion.
Yes,   the Main part of the unit  should be over  a grassy area, 5 feet above the ground.   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf

besides the inaccurate weather,  you are going to need to be able to  go up to your ISS to clean out debris from the rain cone as well as maintain anything from the transmitter board such as the occasional replacement of the cr123a battery.   But the rain cone is the biggie.  and Yes you will get very high heat readings in the summer months .  In winter, the way you have it, it will catch the snow and mound it around the unit.

Your call,  it is a nice install. leave the wind unit up there

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:48 AM »
Its better to compromise wind speeds vs temperature.
Wind is hit and miss mainly miss with urban settings and obstructions. Having the VP2 you can separate the units having wind mounted high and rain temperature at 5-6' elevation.

Davis makes a wireless anemometer transmitter also if you wanted to really get serious and mount anemometer in better location away from obstructions.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

Davis makes a wireless anemometer transmitter also if you wanted to really get serious and mount anemometer in better location away from obstructions.
I have one of those units for my 2 anemometer option.   I have two because we get freezing rain here now and then, it is easier for me to free the lower anemometer without breaking anything, so I just switch transceivers in the house via software and we are good to go until thaw.

Definitely something to consider

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

I have one of those units for my 2 anemometer option.   I have two because we get freezing rain here now and then, it is easier for me to free the lower anemometer without breaking anything, so I just switch transceivers in the house via software and we are good to go until thaw.

Definitely something to consider
Just get yourself a super soaker for the main anny and fill it with antifreeze and fire away! :grin:

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »

Just get yourself a super soaker for the main anny and fill it with antifreeze and fire away! :grin:

Probably not a good idea - non-toxic antifreeze leaves a very sticky coating when it dries. Anything that touches it will stick. Certainly not something that you want your hardware to be covered with.

:lol: :lol:
But why would someone from Florida know that ?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »
Antifreeze is also toxic and sweet tasting. Not good for pets or wildlife...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
Antifreeze is also toxic and sweet tasting. Not good for pets or wildlife...
Well maybe the antifreeze idea might go over better in the "Birds on the anemometer" thread.
Just kidding. :-P

Offline Rightdude

• Me. Now.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
To recap, from my first post, I've learned:
  • My anemometer placement seems to be okay.
  • My ISS placement is a case study in where not to mount an ISS, and when people ask you "Where should I mount my PWS?", you should link to this post and say, "Don't do what this guy originally did."
  • ocala prefers gentle persuasion for a newbie.
  • CW2274 doesn't give a crap if you are a newbie and likes to be blunt.
  • http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf is a go-to resource to help people figure out where to mount their stuff.
  • Aardvark appears to be worried about my having to go on the roof a lot to clean out things, doesn't like lousy readings, and still likes to be complimentary.
  • As much as I like seeing the cups spin around in the wind, I'm reminded by ValentineWeather to worry about the temperature probably because I don't live in the middle of a field.
  • Antifreeze is sticky once it dries.
  • I wonder if windshield de-icer gets sticky once it dries? I might have to experiment. If it doesn't, would it work in a super-soaker?
  • I might have to buy more "toys" to get all of this to work!
  • As a dislocated Clevelander, I like ocala's avatar.
Seriously, though, thanks to all of you for the comments, both the nudges and the bluntness, and the sense of fun. Something I've dreamed of having since I was a kid is now sitting on my roof (even if it is in the wrong place right now), I've got a lot to learn, you folks are more than willing to help, and I appreciate it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
If you do decide to expand Scaled Instruments prices are competitive. Look at the discount price list.
Randy

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 11:07:15 PM »
To recap, from my first post, I've learned:
  • My anemometer placement seems to be okay.
  • My ISS placement is a case study in where not to mount an ISS, and when people ask you "Where should I mount my PWS?", you should link to this post and say, "Don't do what this guy originally did."
  • ocala prefers gentle persuasion for a newbie.
  • http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf is a go-to resource to help people figure out where to mount their stuff.
  • Aardvark appears to be worried about my having to go on the roof a lot to clean out things, doesn't like lousy readings, and still likes to be complimentary.
  • As much as I like seeing the cups spin around in the wind, I'm reminded by ValentineWeather to worry about the temperature probably because I don't live in the middle of a field.
  • Antifreeze is sticky once it dries.
  • I wonder if windshield de-icer gets sticky once it dries? I might have to experiment. If it doesn't, would it work in a super-soaker?
  • I might have to buy more "toys" to get all of this to work!
  • As a dislocated Clevelander, I like ocala's avatar.
Seriously, though, thanks to all of you for the comments, both the nudges and the bluntness, and the sense of fun. Something I've dreamed of having since I was a kid is now sitting on my roof (even if it is in the wrong place right now), I've got a lot to learn, you folks are more than willing to help, and I appreciate it.

Good job; fun.  You can learn a lot hear - like to think I still am.

CW3699

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:18 PM »
In my defense, I was dealing with a nasty headache that day and had no business posting, sorry for my overt pushiness.

That being said....that ISS has gotta come off that roof! :-P

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 04:56:57 AM »
 :lol: :lol: What a fun read!  It's threads like this that make me want to get my station back up. Now, all I need to do is get the heck out of New jersey and back to Colorado! Seriously, reading this was fun. Hi everyone!
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline kjfswkr

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
Just a suggestion.

What is the flat thing?

Kevin

Offline Rightdude

• Me. Now.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
TV Antenna. We are cable TV cord-cutters for the most part. Only paying "The Man" for internet.

Offline kjfswkr

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »
Excellent, pay too much anyway.

Kevin

Offline Rightdude

• Me. Now.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
Sucks with sports sometimes, but for the most part everything else is out there.