Author Topic: Is the Access corrupting my rainfall data?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Is the Access corrupting my rainfall data?
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 09:27:47 PM »
Has anyone PMed Victoria about the issue?

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:02 PM »
So I just noticed this was not just the rainfall that was fluky today with the Access, but also temperature and humidity. Here are screenshots from WU and MyAcurite.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:23:50 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
And I just noticed that I had a second "rainfall event" on this sunny day bringing my total up to 4.66"!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline a55bruce

• Bah-Humbug
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
So I just noticed this was not just the rainfall that was fluky today with the Access, but also temperature and humidity. Here are screenshots from WU and MyAcurite.
I had 3 events last week with corrupted temperature data. WU and Acurite were showing below zero readings.  I did not see the same error on my 2 displays.
Did an online chat, they recommended a reset of the 5in1. :roll:

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
So I just noticed this was not just the rainfall that was fluky today with the Access, but also temperature and humidity. Here are screenshots from WU and MyAcurite.
I had 3 events last week with corrupted temperature data. WU and Acurite were showing below zero readings.  I did not see the same error on my 2 displays.
Did an online chat, they recommended a reset of the 5in1. :roll:

If your displays were correct then the 5 in 1 was working okay and I don't understand why they would tell you to do a reset of it. A reset of the Access would make more sense.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure a55bruce got that and knows as much...hence the roll eyes.

Acurite is just punting, or that was a very clueless tech support person.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:08:58 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »

......Acurite is just punting, or that was a very clueless tech support person.

I think both scenarios can exist simultaneously in the ACURITE universe!

Sincerely;
Getting more disgusted with Acurite everyday:

Here are my last 31 days of false rainfall readings:

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
To all who are having this rain reading problem here's a couple of thought . First I'm not saying this is happening to you but it was happening to me before . My old 5-1 use to barely move in the wind but a gust even 4 to 5 miles a hour would give me a rain reading . I had to brace my pole I was using better to stop that . Second my new Atlas was getting false rain reading because I used a new pole a lot higher when I first put it up . I used 1inch PVC with a second 1/4 PVC pipe  inside of it but it would still move a tad bit and the false rain readings started when the wind picked up . I finally hooked up some guide wires a boom it hasn't had and false readings since then . So if you want take a close look at your weather station , is it moving just a touch one way or another ?  When I put my replacement Atlas up last week just walking up the ladder and reinstalling it and  trying to be as careful as possible showed 1.60 inches of rain when I looked at My Acurite later  . So the rain gizmo  inside the Atlas and the 5-1 can be very touchy . Also one more thing to check and please don't laugh but are there birds around you weather station ? Were I had my old 5-1 a couple of pigeons use to love to use it and sit on it  to see the world from and they could really make the rain readings happen  .    Like I said it probably not happening to you but just something to look at also .

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
Wouldn't an unstable pole causing erroneous rainfall readings also show up on the color display?

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »
Wouldn't an unstable pole causing erroneous rainfall readings also show up on the color display?

Some of my false reading only showed on the display ( my old one ) and some showed up only on My Acurite and WU . I have no idea why maybe the display reading ever so often the rain figures and My Acurite reading at a different time causes this . BUT Im no expert on this either !!

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »

Some of my false reading only showed on the display ( my old one ) and some showed up only on My Acurite and WU . I have no idea why maybe the display reading ever so often the rain figures and My Acurite reading at a different time causes this . BUT Im no expert on this either !!

Remember, this is not only showing false rain readings, but also false temperatures at times as shown in my screenshots above on this thread. This is only isolated to what the Access is reporting, not what the displays are receiving. My Atlas display is correct and did not show anything false showing up in these instances, which means it is not anything with the outdoor sensor. At least for me, this is the case.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »

Remember, this is not only showing false rain readings, but also false temperatures at times as shown in my screenshots above on this thread. This is only isolated to what the Access is reporting, not what the displays are receiving. My Atlas display is correct and did not show anything false showing up in these instances, which means it is not anything with the outdoor sensor. At least for me, this is the case.

I'm in no way saying any other false readings are caused by bad installs only talking about the rain ones  !!! That's a whole other problem with the Access I believe . Now I have been lucky using the E-Mail system to get things done as far as my problems have been . But my stuffs still under warranty so I know that's the only reason they sent me a replacement Atlas . 

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »

I'm in no way saying any other false readings are caused by bad installs only talking about the rain ones  !!! That's a whole other problem with the Access I believe . Now I have been lucky using the E-Mail system to get things done as far as my problems have been . But my stuffs still under warranty so I know that's the only reason they sent me a replacement Atlas .

A shaky installation is a long known and obvious cause of erroneous rainfall readings and easily resolved as you have been able to do.
It is not related to the problem that this thread is discussing, a problem which originates somewhere at the Access or beyond.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
UPDATE:

I received the new 5 in 1 from Acurite and have it installed on a pole near my old 5 in1. The old one had the multi-panel solar array and the new one has only the single panel. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in daytime sunny day temps due to this. Also, the motor in the new one is almost inaudible whereas the motor in the old one is quite loud.

So far I have received no erroneous rainfall data on the new display _or_ on the old one. It will be interesting to see if I get a rainfall spike on the old supposed at fault 5 in 1 and not on the new one that is supposed to correct the problem. (I'll communicate any findings with Acurite).

One new and interesting minor problem occurring now is that while the new 5 in 1 hasn't had any connection problems with the Access, the old 5 in 1 will pretty consistently change from strong signal/normal battery/online state to strong signal/normal battery/weak and then offline state. The new 5 in 1 may drop to weak signal intermittently but it has remained consistently online since installation a few days ago.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
UPDATE 2

Sadly #-o the new 5 in 1 unit sent to me from Acurite has reported erroneous rainfall. All was well until this morning. Interestingly, both the new and old units reported false rainfall data although different amounts and at different times of the same day. The old unit had reported false readings several times since I installed the new unit but this was the first time for the new unit. Is this a clue to the cause of the problem? I still think a new Access added into the equation would diagnostic but Acurite Co. doesn't agree so I am back to square one.

Included are two screen captures showing the problem.

1- The MyAcurite screen shows the new and old 5 in 1 units and the erroneous rainfall recorded for both. Interestingly the bad data occurs at different times of the morning.

2- The Wunderground map is only reporting the new 5 in 1 unit and shows the erroneous .11" rainfall at my station as well as the other stations in my area that are correctly reporting 0" rainfall.