Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

5n1 Humidity Sensor Replacement

(1/11) > >>

wxwatching:
I own the 5n1 with the 1036 display. The humidity sensor has been giving bad readings for a couple of months but I am about 5 months past the warranty. This is not the new 5n1 that has a modular design which allows the temp/humidity sensor to be replaced easily. I am wondering if the replacement sensor they sell for the newer 5n1 can be made to work in the older one with a little soldering work. Anyone familiar with the inside of the 5n1?

Regards,
AB

vreihen:
I would check and see if they will good-will warranty it anyway.  At one point, there was a defective humidity sensor in a whole batch, and they covered everyone's replacement 5-in-1 no matter how long they had it.....

nincehelser:

--- Quote from: wxwatching on July 05, 2016, 03:20:28 PM ---I own the 5n1 with the 1036 display. The humidity sensor has been giving bad readings for a couple of months but I am about 5 months past the warranty. This is not the new 5n1 that has a modular design which allows the temp/humidity sensor to be replaced easily. I am wondering if the replacement sensor they sell for the newer 5n1 can be made to work in the older one with a little soldering work. Anyone familiar with the inside of the 5n1?

Regards,
AB

--- End quote ---

I have a new 5n1 unit handy, but I don't know if has the new/replaceable temp/humidity sensor setup.  I'll open it up later and take a look, but I'm guessing you could make it work assuming they haven't moved to a different type of sensor chip.

If I remember correctly, there are only 4 wires between the main board and sub-assembly to worry about.  Some people have replaced the chip itself.  Others have used a compatible chip mounted on a SparkFun board and improvised its mounting in the wind tunnel. 

Which way you go it depends on if the chip alone has gone bad, or if the circuit traces on the sub-assembly mounting board have deteriorated.  If it's just trace deterioration, some have simply jumpered around the bad spots with success.

nincehelser:
OK.  I opened up the new 5n1.

Clearly Acurite has been busy.  The new main-board appears to have been revised in May of 2015.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The second pic is of the replaceable SHT21 module.  It also seems to be from May 2015, so I guess it's not so "new".  Perhaps they just spent a year testing it.  It does seem to have a more robust-looking coating.  The circuit traces are no longer immediately evident.

The third pic shows how the new module connects to the main board. 

The fourth pic is a close-up of the SHT21 chip.

DoctorKnow:
Looks like they changed the wind magnet reader to me also. Mine doesn't look like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version