Author Topic: Looking for recommendations  (Read 1659 times)

Offline KathyLauren

Looking for recommendations
« on: August 20, 2021, 12:01:51 PM »
Like the forum title says, "What Weather Station Should I Buy?"

I have been using Hobby Boards 1-wire instruments for years, but they have gradually died, leaving me with just a temperature recording.  So now I want to get an off-the-shelf weather station.

One requirement that I have is to be able to transfer the data to a computer, so it can be analyzed in a spreadsheet.  I don't want to use a phone app for anything to do with the weather station.

I looked at the Davis Vantage Vue, since it has been around forever and has a good reputation.  But it is pricey.  By the time I add a data logger so I can connect it to the computer, it's US$570.  That is over Cdn$700.

I'll still get it if the consensus is that it is the best value.  But I thought I'd check and see if there is anything else that is better value.

Minimum requirements are:
- temperature
- humidity
- rainfall
- wind speed
- wind direction
- barometric pressure
- connection to PC

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Looking for recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of the Davis Vantage Vue because it is not serviceable. When the humidity sensor goes out you have to replace the entire outdoor sensor array. That is not cost effective, although granted for many users it will last a good while. But you just never know if you'll be one of those that is out after 18 months. My thoughts are that if the better Vantage Pro 2 is  not in the budget (with replacement parts at a reasonable price), then you should consider the Ecowitt system. For many users the Ecowitt is a great solution even if they are willing to spend for Davis VP2 money. It all just depends on what features that are different entice you. Ecowitt has several models for you to consider. I understand that you don't want to use the phone but you didn't specify if it would be acceptable to use a mobile app for initial setup and software updates and then you could be free to use a computer to get your data automatically sent there for your analysis. Hopefully that is not a big issue.

Let us know what you think so far and we can then delve deeper and further explain data connectivity options with a computer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:38:19 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:39:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of the Davis Vantage Vue because it is not serviceable. When the humidity sensor goes out you have to replace the entire outdoor sensor array. That is not cost effective, although granted for many users it will last a good while. But you just never know if you'll be one of those that is out after 18 months. My thoughts are that if the better Vantage Pro 2 is  not in the budget (with replacement parts at a reasonable price), than then you should consider the Ecowitt system. For many users the Ecowitt is a great solution even if they are willing to spend for Davis VP2 money. It all just depends on what features that are different entice you. Ecowitt has several models for you to consider. I understand that you don't want to use the phone but you didn't specify if it would be acceptable to use a mobile app for initial setup and software updates and then you could be free to use a computer to get your data automatically sent there for your analysis. Hopefully that is not a big issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check out Ecowitt. 

I don't have a mobile phone, so anything that requires one is not an option.  Well, technically, I do, but it's a flip-phone that doesn't run apps.

Offline davidg_nz

• Sandy Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 10:14:13 PM »
I've no idea what Ecowitt gear is like but before buying something its worth checking its accuracy is acceptable. My first station (a FineOffset WH1080) was replaced within a year by a Vantage Vue because I got sick of the bad accuracy - outdoor temperature readings during the day time were pretty much useless. I also got sick of spiders constantly tying up the rain gauge and its slow update speed but those are different issues.

I don't know I'd buy another Vue though for the reasons galfert mentioned. Which is really a shame because the build quality was very good - the outdoor unit feels very solid and after several years outside it still looks pretty good. But the humidity sensor has a finite lifespan and will eventually fail which is unreasonably expensive to repair.
Port Charles, Coromandel, New Zealand | Wired Vantage Pro2+, Ubiquiti AirCam
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand | Wireless Vantage Pro2+, 24h FARS, Leaf+Soil Station, Envoy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 10:21:24 PM »
I've no idea what Ecowitt gear is like but before buying something its worth checking its accuracy is acceptable. My first station (a FineOffset WH1080) was replaced within a year by a Vantage Vue because I got sick of the bad accuracy - outdoor temperature readings during the day time were pretty much useless. I also got sick of spiders constantly tying up the rain gauge and its slow update speed but those are different issues.

The FO WH1080 was like 1st generation gear. There has been much progress with many newer generations. We are now in what I'd consider 4th and 5th generation FO clones. Huge difference. I wouldn't say Vantage Pro 2 quality in all aspects, but pretty decent all things considered. And if you put a WH32-EP (it uses a SHT35) in a decent radiation shield then that is better than a VP2. Of course other sensors are not up to the same quality...like the rain gauge and wind. There are pros and cons of any system and a higher price doesn't make everything better. You just have to weigh things out and decide. The point is mute in regards to the OP which stated that Vantage Vue money was out of the question. That just leaves Ecowitt as the remaining reasonable choice.

I don't have a mobile phone, so anything that requires one is not an option.  Well, technically, I do, but it's a flip-phone that doesn't run apps.
You can now get an Ecowitt GW1100 and you don't need the smartphone for initial setup. But you won't be able to upgrade the firmware without a smartphone which is something you should do at least once a year. If you don't have a smartphone maybe you have an Android tablet or an Apple iPad...that will work for updating the firmware.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:31:00 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »
If you don't own a tablet you can get a Samsung Tab A7 for about $130 or you can also get an Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy A12 for around $150 or less (new on eBay). You don't have to get cellular service on the smartphone, that way you keep your flip phone if that is what you prefer. You can still just use the Android phone or the tablet on WiFi only for app purposes. That will allow you to run any mobile app. With the way things are going I just can't see not having a tablet or a smartphone as most new things these days require it at least just to get things connected to your Internet and sometimes for more.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 10:45:55 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »
If you don't have a smartphone maybe you have an Android tablet or an Apple iPad...that will work for updating the firmware.

Ah, good to know.  I do have an iPad.  Thanks!

Offline jjh92

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »
One important consideration in what to buy is the distance between the weather sensors and the display or hub.  Davis and Ambient Weather offer models with up to 1,000 ft distance while all other brands offer 300 ft.  In real experience, the 300ft really only works less than 100 ft.  If you have greater than 100 ft distance, then you have no choice but the more expensive Davis or AmbientWeather stations.  This is very important or you may be frustrated with dropouts of weather data.

Your profile says you are in Novia Scotia, a location with winter snow.  You will need to consider if an ultrasonic or wind cup anemometer is right for you.  If you go ultrasonic, then you will need to have power at the weather station to heat the anemometer when it snows or ices.

I have the Acurite Atlas model and it works well for me.  Key features I like about this unit are the FARS (Fan asperated radiation shield) and the ability to remote the anemometer from the sensor body. These are important for accurate temp and wind readings.  I did not have to use a cell phone on the installation or maintenance of the system.  Atlas is quite affordably priced, model 1008M is $199 US (Amazon).

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
the ability to remote the anemometer from the sensor body.

That is a good point.  My previous setup had the anemometer up a 12-foot pole, and the other instruments at a more convenient level.  Even on a pole, my wind speed readings are about 50% of actual, due to surrounding trees, so I was thinking I would have to mount the Vantage Vue up on the pole to get reasonable wind speeds.  That of course means that the rain gauge is impossible to clean of leaves, spiders and snow.  So a detached anemometer is a big plus.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
the ability to remote the anemometer from the sensor body.

That is a good point.  My previous setup had the anemometer up a 12-foot pole, and the other instruments at a more convenient level.  Even on a pole, my wind speed readings are about 50% of actual, due to surrounding trees, so I was thinking I would have to mount the Vantage Vue up on the pole to get reasonable wind speeds.  That of course means that the rain gauge is impossible to clean of leaves, spiders and snow.  So a detached anemometer is a big plus.
generally separate sensors are a good idea as you can optimise their location, remember maintenance access and allowance for your weather!

But you also  have to remember the transmission distance.

My fineoffset system manages 200ft in one direction but only 60ft in another due to walls in the way!

You can vary the location of the gateway unit (if you go that route) or console so you can play with router to gateway to sensor variations

I recommend a dry run in rough intended locations before going firm and leave them for a day in case there are day/night variations

If you go the fineoffset fgateway unit route it's very small (matchbox size) so there are loads of options for putting it outside under cover (it's not waterproof and does need a usb supply) which might make sensor to gateway placement easier, as long as the gateway can find the router. I put ours in the conservatory next to a window which worked really well with the sensors (direct line of sight and only a window in the way)

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39934.0
hi, if you want to get an idea of ​​how the various solar screens or stations are doing, I suggest you take a look at this dedicated post,
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:10 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations.  It was a rainy day here (remnant of Ida), so I spent the afternoon researching the recommendations.  I just ordered a Vantage Pro2.

Deciding factors:
- separate wind instrument for mast mounting
- consistently good quality reports
- ability to connect to a PC without going through Cloud and/or Phone (Yes, I got the data logger)

It is pricey, but you get what you pay for, and I have a birthday coming up, and a small royalty cheque to spend.

I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:41:06 PM by KathyLauren »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
I just ordered a Vantage Vue Pro2.

Good choice. But for clarification I believe that you ordered the Vantage Pro 2 and notice that is doesn't contain the word Vue as that is a different model. There is the Vantage Pro 2 (separate components) and then there is Vue which is an all-in-one model. Although not to confuse things further the Vue can be configured with separate anemometer 6410 and separate transmitter 6332, but that configuration hardly makes senses as you might as well just get the Vantage Pro 2 which is what I believe you are referring to.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:41:21 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline KathyLauren

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
D'oh.  You are right.  I ordered the Vantage Pro2.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
Although not to confuse things further the Vue can be configured with separate anemometer 6410 and separate transmitter 6332, but that configuration hardly makes senses as you might as well just get the Vantage Pro 2 which is what I believe you are referring to.

That option is usually taken up by users who buy the Vue model initially and run that for a few years. But then decide that they'd really like the separate anemometer. So buying an add-on anemometer plus transmitter is still significantly cheaper than buying a complete replacement VP2 sensor assembly.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 01:07:37 PM »
Our Ambient Falcon WS has stopped reporting rain and wind (speed and direction). I'm looking at the Vantage Pro 2 to replace it but am hesitant because of the price and the advertisement campaign.
Specifically when I look at a vendor website I don't see a "what's on the box" listing. Not do I see an explanation of why I need a "Datalogger". (WTF is a Datalogger anyway?) At $ 500 per unit I don't believe it's too much to ask for details.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline WI1SKY

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
Our Ambient Falcon WS has stopped reporting rain and wind (speed and direction). I'm looking at the Vantage Pro 2 to replace it but am hesitant because of the price and the advertisement campaign.
Specifically when I look at a vendor website I don't see a "what's on the box" listing. Not do I see an explanation of why I need a "Datalogger". (WTF is a Datalogger anyway?) At $ 500 per unit I don't believe it's too much to ask for details.

Datalogger is to get the data from the console to your PC/Internet.   I personally would go with Wifilogger rather than the Davis logger.

BTW, I am selling a VP2 on the Buy/Sell forum.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »

Hey neighbor.
Can't go wrong with a VP2. Going on 11 years with mine. Yes, it doesn't last forever but you can replace sensors as they go bad.

anything