Author Topic: Food for thought...MIT no less.  (Read 4079 times)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: Food for thought...MIT no less.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 05:02:36 AM »
Well, all the scientific, medical research combined is easily overridden by a single high elected official in each state being whispered to in his/her ear by non-elected agenda driven bureaucrats to shut down a State and it's economy.

I finally went in Thurs and got my first jab, my arm is still sore and to rub salt into the wound the nurse gave me a 3 page double sided explanation of yada yada and the second paragraph begins by saying "there is no FDA approved vaccine for Covid" and "taking the vaccine does not mean you won't get it"? (paraphrasing) and I thought what am I doing here?

interesting reading your diaper rhetorics  :grin: over the last 12 months , you went and had the jab so all along you shared the same fear as many of us though you wont admit to it I guess ? a sore arm is better or nothing compared than lying flat on your back in an ICU gasping for oxygen through a pipe shoved down your throat dont you think ? we had the pfizer/biontech jab apart from a sore arm which felt like nothing compared to lets say a dead arm from bumping into a door . for us it brought some sense of normality and confidence, it certainly reduced the fear factor but we still abide by the recommendation of mask and social distance in respect of those here not eligible for the vaccine. there are many reasons for not being eligible from age to underlying or chronic illnesses , testing positive within last 180 days  ..

unfortunately for my texan friend here in istanbul turkey he contracted the virus twice once last april and recovered within 4-5 weeks then late november he was tested positive again and entered ICU mid december but did not recover he was 48 years old and loved to talk about Tacos and was proud of his 20 year old cowboy boots.his funeral was streamed back to his family and relatives in texas with no immediate relatives present at his funeral here just 5 friends who he had come to know since moving here in 2010.

current situation here in turkey is somewhat dire and cases have risen from an average 5000 per day upto march 1st then restrictions were lifted 1st March to open up local economy and sadly 5 weeks on we were at 60000 per day , we now enter a full 21 day 24/7 lockdown as of this thursday. so from 5k day average to 60k day everage in 5 weeks !!!!!! so beware once this variant gets a grip on a percentage it spreads like wild fire ..the daily death rate here is 3 times above anything we have seen in the last 14 months or so..

so get the vaccine you have nothing to lose ,trust science not journalism ...modern day journalism is all about numbers and views ...journalism is funded by advertising revenue not facts..

so mr steve brtx i was glad you had the jab truly am ,whether you think it was worth it is your thoughts but i was an amicable thing todo and a sensible thing todo not just for yourself but for those around you.
it has no guarantees but it has a chance to reduce the risk..

for those who think because they have had the virus and recovered are immune think again and read above ..

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:12:04 AM by weather34 »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »
Frankly I was more worried about the possible after affects from the shot than actually getting the virus. As I mentioned, I've lost two uncles and a dear friend recently, none from the virus, and was not able to visit any of them to say goodbye. The family reunion is rescheduled for July 4th again this year and I'll have two more uncles and an aunt over 90 so decided I'd take the shot out of courtesy to those I love - that was before I got it and read it may have been a totally useless gesture. So have no illusions my friend, my decision was symbolism not substance.

I, and millions more suffer from T.F.D.S. (Traumatic Face Diaper Syndrome) forced on us by the totally non-scientific political community. Our forced coercion is as un-American as anything I've experienced in my lifetime. It's totally destroyed vast swaths of my America based on unproven medical theories. There is no way to scientifically prove that wearing a mask eliminates your risk, think about it, TX and FL are fully open and cases are dropping while the States with draconian mask isolation mandates are still rising. Yesterday some state mandates 2 year olds wear a mask. How can you explain that to a kid and how can you do that to a kid? It crossed the Rubicon of insanity and power politics long ago and the only way back to normalcy is aggressive pushback against wrong headed thinking and policies.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 09:30:38 AM »
im sorry to hear that steve , not only did I loose a friend here but many of my school friends, colleagues id come to know over years when i grew up and lived in the UK all succumbed to it sadly , at one point in early January it seemed like there was not a day went by without receiving some sad news .

as for how your country handles it is your beef ,im in no way in any position to judge that and to be honest i dont have the energy for that debate anymore ,think many of us outside looking in said thank fook for that after the election outcome .

for us looking in from the outside think many just want to see the humanity for those in need regardless of their mother tongue , status,origin etc..

anyway carry on always curious of your musings and others .

fwiw i dont like wearing the diaper and have reservations, i do it to comply with the law , if it wasnt law then id only wear it out of respect to others who do..

do take care ...brian

ps side effects short term i have had none apart from the evenings of the day of injection i felt lethargic or to put it humorously bolted to the sofa but following day nothing to write home about..and not aware of anyone I know who had the pfizer/biontech has had any significant concerning symptoms or effects apart from what i had on the day..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:36:07 AM by weather34 »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
The vaccine IS NOT a useless exercise just because it does not totally prevent Covid. Massively reducing you chance of getting very very ill which thereby Massively reduces your ability to spread it. If everyone does it, eventually it dies out.

I think it has become evident that there.is.no way for anybody to say definitely if masks work or not. For sure there is NO place where it was adhered.to perfectly so there is no valuable data to draw any conclusion one way or the.other.

If your jurisdiction is doing well there could be 100 other factors that amplified, nullified, or overrode any mask wearing or lack thereof. How many injection points did the virus arrive at in your area? What population did it spread to first? How dense is your population? How much was it spreading before any detection and start of any prevention measures could have a massive effect on how it progressed and where you are now.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
Several years ago I lived in Mexico, a lovely country ruined by a simple feel-good safety measure that has destroyed the beauty of the country. Topes are the curse of the Aztecs, what probably started as a simple local idea has become a national way of life, they're everywhere. Topes are speed bumps and of course if one is good, then a bigger one is better and 3 are even better and it grows from there. You cannot drive through the country enjoying the scenery because you have to be intently watching the road 50 feet in front of you to prevent ripping out your suspension, damaging a tire/rim and at the very least jarring your brain. Topes are a cottage industry created by every man who gets elected to office and can mandate some new ones be built and the contract always goes to a brother-in-law, a cousin, uncle, you name it, it's a money maker and a power extension of high office.

We used to debate these insidious creations on a local forum.  The whine was that they save lives, I said prove it, show me one person alive today that would be dead if the Tope wasn't built and of course you can't prove that. But, I can prove they are dangerous. I lived at Lake Chapala 35 miles S of Guadalajara and on the weekends the "Tapatios" as Guad residents call themselves come down to the lake to play. Coming into Chapala is a long sloping hill where no doubt the drunk drivers were speeding on a Saturday night. But, everyone living there knew it and kept away or was aware of the potential for disaster and to my knowledge nothing ever happened in the seven years I lived there. But, one day there were suddenly eleven topes on the incoming stretch before the stop light and it was no time at all before the accidents started and then a death of two from drivers losing control. So, the topes saved no one, but killed several. Finally they did take out every other one. The lesson learned: good intentions do not guarantee success, you can't prove masks or shots saved a single life, you can speculate all you want, but experience is growing as to the detrimental affects of this whole charade that is documented.

Masks and shots are nothing more than a sign of political obedience, the only people wearing masks outside are neurotic or zealots.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:53:41 AM by stevebrtx »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:19 AM »
Masks.....hard to prove.
Vaccine......already been proved. (Fast tracked,  sure. Tested extensively, yes.)
You want the charade and masks etc. to end......get the shots. Simple.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
no guarantee a parachute will save your life but would you jump out of an aircraft voluntarily without one ...probably not .. steve admit your a skeptical ol git   :grin:  need a sense of humor...

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 10:42:07 AM »
no guarantee a parachute will save your life but would you jump out of an aircraft voluntarily without one ...probably not .. steve admit your a skeptical ol git   :grin:  need a sense of humor...
You've just stuck the nail on the head, the moment I put on the mask my personality changes, I become belligerent, stoic, sullen, rude, uncaring and unresponsive even for the most casual of curiosities. When I go through a checkout at the grocery store the checkers always greet you and offer "how are you doing today" etc, I used to joke with them as we were transacting the business. I have a tee shirt that says "I Like Tacos And Maybe Three People" and often cashiers comment on it and I used to laugh and say "yes, and you're one of them". Now all that is gone I don't even bother to wear the shirt. Trying to joke through a mask with a layer of plexiglass between us is useless, I simply nod to acknowledge I'm there and jam my credit card in the reader and get out into open air ASAP.

In years past I entertained, I was a salesman so it's my demeanor. I spent time in New England selling Internet Banking and the bankers up there are a buttoned up tight (you know what) group. When I did a presentation to a group I was always talking as I set up the PC and projector etc. and I was working to get one, of more, of them to smile or chuckle because if one did, the other joined in, I enjoyed it immensely, a Texas guy selling to up East bankers. With masks that would be totally impossible today, it robs us of our humanity. Until recently most States etc. had laws preventing masks except possibly at Halloween, and then you didn't wear one into a liquor store or bank, but now you can't go in without one.

As far as the vaccine, I'm not convinced, again, just because 90% didn't get the virus, maybe they never would have, you can't prove that at least to my satisfaction. And, I see it as just one more control measure. You notice it didn't take long for the pols to start pushing vaccine passports, step right up and show your papers says the jackbooted thug. Well, here in America we have this little problem called illegal immigration. Do we ever demand to see anyone's "papers"? - no, and in a lot of places not even to vote, one of our most sacred privileges, but soon the same people who don't want voter ID will want Vaccine Passports, another vestige of political obedience.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
That's the pesky thing about studies. They use a control group to prove that the efficacy indications were not just a fluke.

"Scientists can calculate how well a vaccine candidate works by looking at the difference in new cases of the disease between the group receiving a placebo and the group receiving the experimental vaccine.

This is called vaccine efficacyTrusted Source. For example, Pfizer/BioNTech reported an efficacy of 95% for the COVID-19 vaccine. This means a 95% reduction in new cases of the disease in the vaccine group compared with the placebo group."

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 01:04:31 PM »
unfortunately Steve your country USA has a very polarized view this just appeared in a BBC news notification

“ A Miami school has discouraged teachers from getting the Covid vaccine, saying any vaccinated employees will be barred from interacting with students.” 

it seems so bizarre from afar reading these headlines , not sure what to think , perhaps ill drum up some googled searched info from various sources throw all it altogether and write a publication , throw a few letters after my name and if I get 20k believe in what Im writing ill cash in .. isnt that how its done ?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 01:17:30 PM »
unfortunately Steve your country USA has a very polarized view this just appeared in a BBC news notification

“ A Miami school has discouraged teachers from getting the Covid vaccine, saying any vaccinated employees will be barred from interacting with students.” 

it seems so bizarre from afar reading these headlines , not sure what to think , perhaps ill drum up some googled searched info from various sources throw all it altogether and write a publication , throw a few letters after my name and if I get 20k believe in what Im writing ill cash in .. isnt that how its done ?
That's exactly how it's done, but it's million$ not thousands of dollars. Today I probably have as much credibility as many in the medical community and I have no vested interest in it, my only interest is the political ramifications and that brings us to why we're polarized. We are in a multi-front cultural war that will either destroy America or bring it back to the center of it's foundings. And PS, I'd take the BBC with a grain of salt before you launch your book tour.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
I have a tee shirt that says "I Like Tacos And Maybe Three People"
:lol:    UU

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:52:21 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 06:38:50 PM »
Now we ALL have guidance. Make sure and check your "whether to mask or not card" before doing ANYTHING... :roll:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/participate-in-activities.html

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
Colors too! Why not Scarlet??

The new guidelines come with charts that list specific activities and how a person should engage in them, based on their vaccination status. The charts illustrate people wearing masks or not, with different colors and mask statuses for vaccinated and unvaccinated people, depending on the activity. The chart for outdoor activities suggests that masks are not necessary for walks or runs, for example, if people are by themselves or with their household, regardless of vaccination status. However, unvaccinated people are advised to wear a mask at “small” outdoor gatherings that include other unvaccinated people, but the people are still marked “safest.” Colors change, too: Yellow is used for the unvaccinated dining outdoors with multiple households, marked as “less safe,” though the earlier “small, outdoor gathering” does not clarify household status. Crowds have everyone masked, but the colors are different: red for the unvaccinated, green for the vaccinated, who are wearing masks but marked “safest.”

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 07:03:23 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/world/sos-messages-panic-virus-breaks-indias-health-system
because india has a failed government supported hospital system we need to wear masks
and get vaccinated even if we've already had the virus and had antibodies
or whether we're at risk or not
makes sense

actually i didn't see where any causes for the crisis in india was given in the fox article
but it doesn't matter
putting a mask on is easier than using caps on a keyboard
it's even easier than thought
so i would rather wear a mask than think
and it may help people suffering in other places feel better

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2021, 07:05:51 PM »
I wouldn't put much stock in Fox these days.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2021, 08:57:58 PM »
I never did put much stock in Fox. But at least they put out something truthful.....vs any of Tucker Carlsons mumbo jumbo

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
I never did put much stock in Fox. But at least they put out something truthful.....vs any of Tucker Carlsons mumbo jumbo
Not agreeing or disagreeing. So, please privy us to whom you put your news "stock" into?  :-s

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2021, 09:30:33 PM »
Mostly local news nets. CBC, CTV.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
Mostly local news nets. CBC, CTV.
:lol:  And you don't think for one split second theses aren't completely liberal driven media....just like the States??  :lol: See, that's the problem, 99% of the "people" that watch this bias trash only get the side "they" want you to see and hear. And you're all more than acceptable to turn a blind eye. I personally blame MSM for 95+% of our problems.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2021, 10:37:07 PM »
And just where pray tell will you find UN biased news.

NOWHERE!!!!!. So I mainly focus on my neck of the woods. Sometimes they talk about other countries so I dial over and see what they are saying.

So all you can do is view and take with a grain of salt. I don't believe anything fully, not even you.

Just certain sources have nothing of merit to say ever. The others are a blend of truth and lies.

So I asses what I think is true and what I think is not.

And don't for one second try and tell me some completely conservative driven media is the only one I should believe. That would just be another one-sided view.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2021, 10:43:34 PM »
I don't believe anything fully, not even you.
Now THAT is refreshing to hear. =D>

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 03:07:54 AM »
Left minded are more scared of Corona rona than the right was after 9 11 fearing Bin Laden was hiding around every corner... Unbelievable. The lies people buy into in the name of being politically correct. Trump did win the election. Everyone knows it.

Yeah, Trump did win the 2016 election for a FACT, even though he lost the popular vote.  Everyone knows it.

If the left minded or whoever still wants to wear masks even after being vaccinated for covid and with mask ordinances dropped, I won't be critical of them.   By doing so, they're protecting themselves from the flu, strep throat and who knows what other contagious illnesses?  Maybe they get sick easily.   I don't get sick easily, so won't be doing it.  And after putting up with a sore arm twice.

I got my 2nd Pfizer on April 20 at the county health clinic.  It was well streamlined with no waiting.  Unlike at the county expo center, didn't even have to go to another room to wait 15 minutes after the shot.  Just had to remain seated for 15 minutes in the chair I got the shot in.     Like the first one, all I had was a sore arm that lasted several days.

Required masks ended in Oklahoma City on April 30.  I look forward to celebrating it soon by going shopping to Penn Square Mall without a mask on.   I haven't been there in over a year.  Stillwater's mask ordinance won't end until May 25, which shouldn't be that much longer.  But at the other major college town, Norman, it's even worse.  It won't end until June 1. 

Covid cases in Oklahoma are still down to no more than several hundred a day after several thousand a day in January.  Hopefully, things can get totally back to normal by the end of summer, so I can go back to enjoying world class performances at OSU's McKnight Center for the Performing Arts recently built.  The 2020 season was going to open with the Philadelphia Orchestra playing Beethoven's 9th, but covid canceled it and the rest of the season.

Keep well everyone.  And safe.  It's the severe weather season!

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2021, 10:55:55 PM »
I don't believe anything fully, not even you.
Now THAT is refreshing to hear. =D>

Now, I do believe the good percentage of vaccinations,  and the fact that many have already contracted it, is paying off over broad areas.

Time to make hay while the sun shines.