Weather Related Organizations > CWOP Forum

Another Shakeup at CWOP

(1/5) > >>

Mark / Ohio:
Anyone else been following the list tonight?

I've had my VP live set to the 9 minutes (up from the original 5 minutes when I got DSL a year ago) for a couple of weeks now since I seen Steve's and Ocala's posts.  Today I bumped it up to 11 minutes doing a little experimenting looking at the data at the NWS Missoula site just for my own curiosity.

I don't much understand the technical aspect of it all.  It sounds like they do have a real on going issue and for some reason cannot all come together to solve it.  Also an ongoing problem with un-mentioned, at least for now, software developers and getting news to data contributors.

Sure hope at some point they can get it together.  Maybe the CWOP will have to turn into a business (God forbid an Accuweather or Weatherbug subsidiary) for that to happen.   :sad:

wmiler:
I do believe a few people are really ticked off.

Unfortunately, I don't think the general CWOP population has particularly noticed since at least 2/3 don't read the list. I personally didn't start reading the list until I moved back in December, and about that time began learning of the problems they were having with system load issues. Since that time, I know a number of developers have stepped up and planned to release the suggested improvements on their next upgrade (WD and wview spring to mind).

On Dave Anderson's point about CWOP participants being a bunch of free loaders, if there was some sort of method to donate to the program like $5(10)/month I know a number of people would prolly be willing to donate.

wmiler:
Well things are getting really screwed up now, I can't even seem to get my data dropped off at all to CWOP.

One suggestion was to switch to Tier2, but that might cause as much, if not more problems with the system. Perhaps it's time for someone else to step up to the plate and provide CWOP with it's own, non-aprs network, UCAR and it's affiliates come to mind.

weatherforyou:

--- Quote from: wmiler on February 04, 2008, 12:23:23 AM ---On Dave Anderson's point about CWOP participants being a bunch of free loaders,

--- End quote ---
Where did this happen?  I missed that comment!  He thinks the people sending data are free loaders or those sites that use the data without attribution or contribution to CWOP are the free loaders?  If the former, I'll be happy to stop troubling them with my data and just let the data I send through weatherforyou.com get to MADIS that way.  If the latter... I can understand that.  Which is why the weatherforyou.com data provided to MADIS is not to be distributed outside of government or educational uses.  There's very few stations of weatherforyou.com's they use right now, mostly because they're all part of CWOP, too.

--- Quote from: wmiler on February 04, 2008, 12:23:23 AM ---... if there was some sort of method to donate to the program like $5(10)/month I know a number of people would prolly be willing to donate.

--- End quote ---
I'd be glad to pay a monthly fee AS LONG AS other web sites weren't going to be making money from my data without attribution.  Actually we'd probably be able to donate a number of funds, things and services to the program.  After all, we actively promote buying and installing stations to put data on the Internet, so it could be said their success is in some part our fault.  ;)  But any help CWOP would accept from weatherforyou.com may be interpreted as an endorsement by CWOP, or something like that... never quite figured it out.  :???:  Big companies sponsor CPB and it doesn't mean CPB endorses them.  In a way I can see why they would want it to appear as a totally volunteer effort, though.  Guess if help is accepted from AccuWeather or Weatherbug it'll show the program reached some pretty desperate times, which I'd be sorry to hear.  I think it's a great program as it has been and would be glad to help it continue as a paying data contributor if commercial sites wouldn't get most of the benefit.

WeatherHost:
These types of issues are exactly why I don't get involved in those sites.  I send to our own site and to WU.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version