General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Folklore

Interesting Winter Folklore

<< < (2/4) > >>

Scalphunter:
Doesn't this really apply to where who ever wrote it. Leave here are generally gone by late September. They start turning anytime after mid August. By Mid October you can see miles aftermiles of bare branches which will green up all at same time  in May.  Over night you go from bare branches to green trees. Have to be seen to believe.

My self weather pattern depict more  how severe an winter going to be.

John

Farmtalk:
Hey, different strokes for different folks  8-)

Farmtalk:
Getting to be that time of predicting the winter again this year! I have read that the west coast could be above normal in warmth and florida could be below normal, but I think alot of question marks still arise for the central and eastern US

WeatherHost:

--- Quote ---We could be in for very strange winter weather if you believe the prediction of the persimmon seeds. "The seeds of the fruit I have cut open are showing something I have never seen before," said John Belski, meteorologist for WLKY and a long-time folklore forecast enthusiast.

Persimmon seeds that Belski cut into this year say we could be in for a year of powdery, light snow and milder temperature or icy, cutting winds with cold temperatures. What we're in for could be a surprise, he said.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---If you cut into the seed of the fruit just right, you'll discover a shape inside. If you live in the South and observe a spoon, you're in for a winter without much heavy snowfall. But don't be confused, warns Belski, the same shape indicates lots of heavy, wet snow if you live in the North. If it's fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and milder temperatures. If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be "cut" by icy, cutting winds.

Most years Belski cuts into the persimmon and finds 80-90 percent are in the shape of a spoon, but this year there is no clear winner.

After splitting a large number of persimmon seeds, he has found an equal number of spoons, forks and knives.  "It's very strange, and I just don't know what to make of it," Belski says.

"Should we assume that the equal numbers mean an average winter or are we in for something usual? We'll have to wait and see."
--- End quote ---

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/2015/10/29/persimmon-seeds-predict-strange-winter-weather/74460654/

WeatherHost:
I know there was a discussion of Wooley Worms too, but I can't find it.

All of the ones I've seen so far this year have been either all brown, all black, or black at each end and brown in the middle.  I haven't seen any yet with any black bands in the middle.  Middle band are supposed to relate to snowfalls.  The ones I saw last fall had several middle bands and we got several snowfalls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version