Author Topic: What's the matter with them now?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
Re: What's the matter with them now?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
The problem, weather34, is once you limit posts to "constructive criticism", you're limiting all other forms of legitimate criticism. Imagine if the 1st Amendment said you were allowed to say whatever you wish as long as you state it "constructively" or "positively". I believe North Korea would accept THAT definition. As always, it's defined by the administration.

I'm not arguing that there is value to yelling fire in a crowded theater. But to think that people don't have legitimate reasons sometimes to vent shouldn't be up for debate.

Freedom is messy and inefficient. But it sure beats the alternative!
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
Since this thread has apparently gone into the WXForum doghouse, I started a new thread addressing only the concept of WU Goldstars.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
This is in no way a 'vendors forum' where they get to set the rules of play .. this is our forum

Then maybe you should take down the following thread, Ken: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36609.0.

We encourage that, and only ask that all posters be treated equally and respect the registration agreement regarding forum behavior.

Equally? Do the rest of your members get to "turn the page" on everyone else, establish some new ground rules, get their thread stickied at the top of the sub-forum and locked for perpetuity?

As far as the registration agreement, I recall recently where someone went on a long, curse-filled tirade largely aimed at another member (galfert). It was an egregious violation of forum rules. You got involved but only to gently remind him of said agreement... to no avail. Now, what if he had aimed his gun at one of the official WU personnel in this sub-forum? How long do you think you would have let that behavior go on? But if it's aimed at galfert or one of us then, by all means, he can say his peace, untie his horse and ride into the sunset, registration agreement be damned?

This is, has been and continues to be the Wild West of internet forums. Fortunately, this territory has largely respectable cowboys in it. But if you try to enforce the law in only one saloon, you might expect the patrons to get a little testy. That would be doubly true right after Mr. East Coast Money Bags rolls through the saloon doors and announces that there's a new (old) sheriff in town. Expect gun play at that point.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:38:16 PM by openvista »

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
That these contentious exchanges between members and moderators are occurring is inevitable. It stems from the fact that there are many thousands of PWS users that are beyond frustrated at what IBM has done to WU. Except for a small subset of extremely motivated and technologically savvy enthusiasts that are willing to employ complex workarounds to get their PWSs somewhere on the web, most are just screwed, and they are angry. It's nice that this forum exists so matters can be discussed, but without both sides of the conversation being honest and engaged, it's really a pointless exercise that is bound to frustrate those that do take the issues seriously.

I have largely disengaged because it became clear to me months ago that IBM has only two goals here.  1) To prevent a slam-dunk lawsuit from equipment manufacturers whose equipment can contractually only connect to WU, and 2) Do enough to preserve the "hyper-local" weather station feeds that they apparently had some plan for.

If IBM wanted WU to work, it would work. The process might have taken months. Instead it has been a dog's lunch for years. That 200,000+ PWSs that people purchased on the promise that WU would host their data (presumably competently like it was) bothers them not at all. That while they have us beta-test their pitiful efforts while, at the same time, cranking out defective weather data to millions of end users apparently bothers them not at all. A cynical type would conclude that their stockholders are their only constituency group, and that WU is so far below the radar that nobody notices.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »
If IBM wanted WU to work, it would work.
Make no doubt about it. WU is such an afterthought, I wonder why they don't just unload it to someone, anyone, it has to be a thorn in their side and would be next to impossible to not be an improvement as is. Like my dad use to say "the squeaky wheel gets the oil", well PWS owners are still squeaking, but alas, not a drop of meaningful oil. If WU was my only option, I'd be squeaking to the point of banishment from here, of that I'm sure... ](*,)

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
Seeing that, locked", "Turning the page" thread frosts my cookies every time I look at this topic.  The page would appear to be the blank page at the end of the book.  WU was getting wobbly before Itty Bitty Machine came along.  Now it's FUBAR.  Considering how badly the roll out of the upgrade has gone and the lack of any, meaningful, progress in fixing everything that's wrong it's no wonder tempers are short.  I suspect that the WU "team" over there is just overwhelmed by all the problems.  Yeah, grousing and complaining won't fix anything, only WU can fix what's wrong, but it does provide some momentary relief from the frustration.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:20:17 PM by awsum140 »
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
If WU was my only option, I'd be squeaking to the point of banishment from here, of that I'm sure... ](*,)

That's the thing. I don't need WU either. I post to this forum mostly to help others.

I'm a web developer with ~15 years of project management experience. I'm self-trained in meteorology, and I have an electronics passion dating back to childhood. The site linked in my signature should provide some kind of proof that I'm not speaking from ignorance or pulling anyone's leg.

So far, Ken has been a good sport and patient. I appreciate that. In turn, I've tried to be respectful.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:15 AM »
I just shut mine down. It's too far gone. Too many other sites out there.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »
The site linked in my signature should provide some kind of proof that I'm not speaking from ignorance or pulling anyone's leg.

Top-left menu is not working with Firefox (66.0.5) ?

Regards
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:32:26 AM by droiddk »

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
The site linked in my signature should provide some kind of proof that I'm not speaking from ignorance or pulling anyone's leg.

Top-left menu is not working with Firefox (66.0.5) ?

Regards

Sorry, I'm not able to replicate that problem using Windows 10 & FF 66.0 (see attached screenshot). Working perfectly. No Javascript console errors.

(I use BrowserStack as a testing platform)

I also tested on Mac OS X 10.11.6 & FF 66.0.5 using a computer I have on hand. Again, no problems whatsoever.

Make sure you don't have a Javascript blocking extension enabled in Firefox.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:09:33 AM by openvista »

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Sorry, I'm not able to replicate that problem using Windows 10 & FF 66.0 (see attached screenshot). Working perfectly. No Javascript console errors.

(I use BrowserStack as a testing platform)

I also tested on Mac OS X 10.11.6 & FF 66.0.5 using a computer I have on hand. Again, no problems whatsoever.

Make sure you don't have a Javascript blocking extension enabled in Firefox.

Strange. No Javascript blocking extension here and no errors in console :/

No issue in Chrome.

Regards

Greg_M

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »
I'll be pulling the plug on WU today.
I'll be back when they get their problems sorted.