Author Topic: New WeatherLink Live Hardware Coming Soon! on Davis Website  (Read 7794 times)

Offline Beebabin

New WeatherLink Live Hardware Coming Soon! on Davis Website
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:05:33 PM »
Looks like the replacement for the WeatherLinkIP will be available soon. I noticed in the Davis 2019 catalog they no longer offer the WeatherLinkIP replacing it with the WeatherLink Live.

I just ordered a Davis Pro2 and was trying to decide which hardware to get online with. Narrowed it down to WLinkIP or Meteobridge NanoSD. Now with this announcement would this be a better way to go?

Thanks
Steve
https://www.davisinstruments.com/weatherlink-live-coming-soon/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:12:48 PM by Beebabin »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: New WeatherLink Live Hardware Coming Soon! on Davis Website
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »
With the proposed EOL of the WLIP this WLL provides nothing over the WLIP apart from playing in Davis's business model and locking you into what will be an even worse closed and dictating system

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:57:53 AM »
@Beebabin: If you look, you'll see this new product has also been discussed reasonably extensively over the past 2 weeks or so in the recent VP3 thread here. But please remember that WLL is not shipping yet, and may not do so for another 2-3 months'. A colleague from the Prodata team is at Davis this week for a briefing - so there should be more info available next week.

@Mattk: That's a very downbeat and frankly inaccurate summary. WLL will offer features not available at all in WLIP, like WiFi connectivity, Envoy8X-type functionality, a local API and (I think) a local tablet/smartphone interface. It's also possible - though not confirmed as yet - that WLL may well have a WLIP emulation mode and be cheaper into the bargain. What's not to like about that?

Might be better to hold off slamming it too hard until further details are available.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:39:49 AM »
JohnD, That comment is simply based on hindsight, well over 20 years of hindsight so I am a little relucent to concede Davis will change in that regard with anything new and based on WL2.0 they are ever so slowly tightening the screws and one does not require hindsight to see that.

Offline JayW

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »
I'm curious about the new Weather Link Live.

The brochure seems to indicate that the WLL can read data from sensors other than the main sensor suite. Does this mean a Vantage Vue owner with no native expandability will now be able to add additional sensors to their web uploads, such as solar and UV? I wouldn't expect it to display on the Vue console but if it could upload to Weather Underground or other that would be a distinct advantage.

Oh, and first post.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
The brochure seems to indicate that the WLL can read data from sensors other than the main sensor suite.

Yes, that's correct and is what's meant by the functionality being similar to an Envoy8X

Does this mean a Vantage Vue owner with no native expandability will now be able to add additional sensors to their web uploads, such as solar and UV? I wouldn't expect it to display on the Vue console but if it could upload to Weather Underground or other that would be a distinct advantage.

You have to be careful: The WLL unit will provide the functionality to receive data from eg multiple ISS transmitters and to make that data available to other software and Internet platforms. But the software & platforms must be able to accept data in the new data format that is going to be necessary - to take a trivial example, most software or platforms don't currently cater for data from two anemometers. Right now the Davis weatherlink.com platform is the only one I'm aware of that is able to do so. But in principle yes WLL be able to upload to eg web platforms, but the platform must be able to support those uploads, which isn't the case for now at least for eg WU.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »
I'd do something else for now, and wait to see how this shakes out.

Sometimes, when you are on the bleeding edge, the blood is your own. Also, in the past, Davis has put something in the catalog, only to delay it's actual availability for a long time. (Like Vantage Connect, I think?)

Offline Beebabin

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
I understand Mattk point about  being locked into the Davis business model which limits my options to only reporting/exporting thru WL2.0

And the WLL benefits johnd of local API & smartphone/tablet interface, but then I'm still locked into WL2.0 for exporting to external sites such as WU. 

I really try to avoid the bleeding edge of technology as SLOweather said the blood is usually your own but... I have a Pro2 on the way and need to pull the trigger on an interface at some point.

What should I do at this point, should I wait and see what happens with WLL?
Here is where my recent research has brought me.

Meteobridge NanoSD from Ambient Weather $280,  Seems simple to configure and sd card for backup
Wifilogger from Ryan at Scaled Instruments $139, price is right and Ryan has a good reputation
WeatherlinkIP from Davis $210ish but depends on WL for exporting to WU and ties my console to ethernet hard wire.

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »
Beebabin here's a vote for the Wifilogger.
The developer is right here on this forum. Has outstanding support and is open to suggestions about future improvements.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline cjohlandt

• Cedar Ridge Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
Beebabin, the WeatherLinkIP can also be used with 3rd party software, like Weather Display, to upload to WU and many other locations.  This does, however, require a PC running full time.  I've been using a WeatherLink IP for many years, but with Davis discontinuing it, I wouldn't buy one today.

-Chris

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless, WeatherLink Live
WXM WiFi (identical to Ecowitt WS69), Ecowitt GW2000
PurpleAir PA-II

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:00:58 AM »
And the WLL benefits johnd of local API & smartphone/tablet interface, but then I'm still locked into WL2.0 for exporting to external sites such as WU. 

You see, I'm not sure this is true. I understand that WLL will have a local API. Assuming so, then third-party software will be able to access data from the WLL and perform uploads to weather networks like WU etc. Right now there isn't enough information available to understand how this might work but let me suggest two scenarios:

1. If WLL has an IP logger emulation mode then any software that works with the IP logger should also work with WLL.

2. If [1] is not the case then new software will need to be released that is compatible with WLL's new API. It might not be too difficult for eg CumulusMX or WD to be modified to accept data similar to the IP logger, though compatibility with the full WLL capabilities (eg multiple ISS units) might require a more radical redesign.

Basically, the information just isn't available from Davis as yet, but hopefully soon (maybe in 2-3 weeks) the situation will become clearer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 05:12:23 AM »
correct me if im wrong John but reading the brief info available but this is a bit more to this than just the original logger with a few new additions , a LAN port in the photos if way to go supports direct sensor listening .. curious of other supported common protocols UDP ? if so meteobridge users will be happy ..think there is more to this new device than meets the eye at the moment ..guess time will tell ..brian

Add any combination of up to 8 of the following:
• Vantage Vue Sensor Suites
• Vantage Pro2 Sensor Suites
• Sensor Transmitters with up to 5 sensors
• Wireless Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Stations

Welcome to the smart home
• Ask Amazon’s Alexa about your weather.
• Connect your data to smart irrigation systems or other IoT/smart home devices.

Securely share your data
• Contribute your weather data to the global WeatherLink community.
• Share data with friends, family, or co-workers via the WeatherLink website and mobile applications.
• Upload to a growing list of third-party sites like Weather Underground or CWOP.
• Build your own weather tools with our powerful suite of API products.

Enjoy real-time data
• Experience the fastest reporting weather data on the market with any personal device.

Never lose data
• Safeguard recorded data with WeatherLink Live’s internal auxiliary memory.
• Protect against data loss with redundant battery backup.

Effortless setup
• Simple Bluetooth setup using the WeatherLink app.
• No Wi-Fi? No problem. Easily connect to Ethernet with the included cable.

Long-range wireless data
• Depend on Davis’s industry-leading, proprietary, frequency-hopping, spread spectrum radio to transmit data up to 1,000 ft. (300 m).

Comes Wi-Fi ready, with a 6.5 ft. (2 m) power cable and a 5 ft. (1,5 m) Ethernet cable.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:19 AM »
correct me if im wrong John but reading the brief info available but this is a bit more to this than just the original logger with a few new additions

Yes, I'm sure that's true - not least in the Envoy8X multi-ISS features that are apparently on offer. But much of the rest of the description is a little ambiguous at present. eg what counts as 'real-time'? For many users, per-minute uploads to weatherlink.com (ie as per the IP logger) would fit the bill. But those used to 2.5-sec local wind updates would not agree. The key part that's not clear as yet is the extent of features available locally vs those serviced via weatherlink.com. The local API has been confirmed, but the nature and extent of that API hasn't been spelled out yet.

TBH I don't think it's worth speculating too much - all should become clearer in the near future - days to a few weeks.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »
TBH I don't think it's worth speculating too much - all should become clearer in the near future - days to a few weeks.

patience is a virtue :-) all will come good to those that wait...so glad they didnt go with the cheapo low cost chinese console designs ..

please check your spam box sometime next month ill be in the UK in march so save the hassles of shipment and whatever other bureaucracy they can dream up...take care..brian

Offline Beebabin

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 06:42:21 AM »
Decided to order the WifiLogger to get me going and wait to see if the WLL turns out to be better in the long run. My Pro 2 will be delivered today!!!

I appreciate all the feedback!

Now back to reading the "What's wrong with Davis consoles" thread! Lol

73's
Steve

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
I find it curious, the WeatherBridgePro has been out of stock for quite some time on the AmbientWeather site, and the Weatherlink Live appears to cover a lot of its features, coincidence?
http://seamanville.com/pws
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Daytime-FARS/Meteobridge Pro/ weather34 template on Raspi v3 B+/PurpleAir AQI sensor
Wireless ISS sitting ground/Wireless Wind, Solar, UV sitting roof
Monroe, Washington USA
WU:     KWAMONRO94
CWOP: FW4493
PWS:   FRYELANDS01

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 04:14:56 PM »
I find it curious, the WeatherBridgePro has been out of stock for quite some time on the AmbientWeather site, and the Weatherlink Live appears to cover a lot of its features, coincidence?

I'm not sure what connection you might make between the two things. What might be more significant is the recent launch of Nano.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »

There is no connection between the two and somehow I doubt WLL even comes close to full capabilities of WeatherBridgepro

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »

I'm not sure what connection you might make between the two things. What might be more significant is the recent launch of Nano.
I was worried that the PRO being unavailable was associated with the announcement of the WLL, either by purchased rights, or some other business agreement. I'm hoping to get a PRO if/when they become available again.
http://seamanville.com/pws
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Daytime-FARS/Meteobridge Pro/ weather34 template on Raspi v3 B+/PurpleAir AQI sensor
Wireless ISS sitting ground/Wireless Wind, Solar, UV sitting roof
Monroe, Washington USA
WU:     KWAMONRO94
CWOP: FW4493
PWS:   FRYELANDS01

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 09:53:37 PM »
@Beebabin: If you look, you'll see this new product has also been discussed reasonably extensively over the past 2 weeks or so in the recent VP3 thread here. But please remember that WLL is not shipping yet, and may not do so for another 2-3 months'. A colleague from the Prodata team is at Davis this week for a briefing - so there should be more info available next week.

@Mattk: That's a very downbeat and frankly inaccurate summary. WLL will offer features not available at all in WLIP, like WiFi connectivity, Envoy8X-type functionality, a local API and (I think) a local tablet/smartphone interface. It's also possible - though not confirmed as yet - that WLL may well have a WLIP emulation mode and be cheaper into the bargain. What's not to like about that?

Might be better to hold off slamming it too hard until further details are available.

JohnD -- When you're able to talk about it, *I* would like to hear about that Envoy8X functionality...with two 8X's running now, I want to know more.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 03:46:45 AM »
I was worried that the PRO being unavailable was associated with the announcement of the WLL, either by purchased rights, or some other business agreement.

Well I can't speak for docbee but I'd have guessed almost certainly not.

I'm hoping to get a PRO if/when they become available again.

That's down to Ambient as to whether/when they choose to order in a new batch for resale. I'm not aware of any lack of availability in Europe for instance. If Ambient decide not to supply any more Reds then maybe some other reseller will take it up?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:01:16 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 04:00:51 AM »
JohnD -- When you're able to talk about it, *I* would like to hear about that Envoy8X functionality...with two 8X's running now, I want to know more.

I don't really know anything at this stage beyond what's publicly disclosed so far. Late-stage development is still proceeding AIUI and beta-test units are not yet available. But I don't think it's difficult to guess what the functionality will be, ie:

The receive capability will be as per Envoy8X, ie any arbitrary combination of up to eight VP2 transmitters (even 8 x ISS units if you chose to do so).

The main upload function will be to weatherlink.com, which will be expected to be the principle way in which data will be viewed, processed and made available for further download. Download formats from wl.com I would expect to be similar/identical to Enviromonitor, which can obviously also accommodate many disparate sensors.

Local data will be available but only in defined ways, eg:

• smartphone app
  • A new local API (if I had to guess, similar/identical to the wl.com API). I'm not aware that local software to use this API is a priority for Davis themselves (BICBW) - I suspect that it will be more down to third-party developers to use, but this is the bit that's most vague at present.
  • No interface planned to mimic existing loggers or WDTU
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:03:04 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline jmello65

Can anyone explain what exactly this weatherlink live for $ 250 is and what it does ???  I have several davis weather stations for almost 30 years --  One of my vantage pro is getting to the stage where it needs replacing..  Does this eliminate  having to have the computer on 24 hours -- please explain

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »
Yes it eliminates needing to run a computer. It is a console (with no display) that receives data from your ISS (or several ISS) and other sensors. Then it connects to your network via WiFi or Ethernet cable (your choice). Then it uploads the data to Weatherlink.com. You manage it (configuration) with a mobile app.

https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/weatherlink-live.htm

But if you were looking to just eliminate the computer that is something that has been possible for a long time with other 3rd party loggers or other devices. This is just the first one from Davis to do this. Previously you could have had a Meteobridge Pro or Meteobridge standard. Or you could connect a Raspberry Pi which technically is a computer but so tiny and small and consuming such little power that it feels more like a little network device. Within the past year you now can also add a WiFiLogger or a Meteobridge Nano that install onto your console. All of these solutions eliminate the computer. The WeatherLink Live is different though because it sort of replace the Envoy8x as it can receive from multiple ISS and sensors...so in that way it is unique. It all depends on what your needs are or what you prefer for features as these are all good solutions with their own advantages.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:02:08 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
JohnD, That comment is simply based on hindsight, well over 20 years of hindsight so I am a little relucent to concede Davis will change in that regard with anything new and based on WL2.0 they are ever so slowly tightening the screws and one does not require hindsight to see that.
So why not add IMO proceeding your comments rather inferring facts not in evidence?