Author Topic: Console temp offset?  (Read 892 times)

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
Console temp offset?
« on: May 12, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Has anyone figured out the correct temperature offset for a console (both VP2 and Vue) running this logger? Is it safe to say that the temperature the logger gives off is consistent or does it vary? What is the correct way to figure this out accurately? I would like to have an accurate indoor reading if possible. Thanks, in advance.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline BigAlT

Re: Console temp offset?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
Because each console’s sensor reading is different, I believe the best way to set the correct offset for a particular console is to place an accurate thermometer next to your console and see what it reads. Then set your console offset for the difference between the external thermometer reading and your console’s temperature reading. That’s the only way I know to be sure it’s correct.
 You can also help mitigate the additional temperature created by the logger by buying a spare Console battery door cover and drilling holes in it to create some additional ventilation. This will help reduce the additional indoor heat readings caused by the logger’s operation.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:48:51 PM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
Because each console’s sensor reading is different, I believe the best way to set the correct offset for a particular console is to place an accurate thermometer next to your console and see what it reads. Then set your console offset for the difference between the external thermometer reading and your console’s temperature reading. That’s the only way I know to be sure it’s correct.
 You can also help mitigate the additional temperature created by the logger by buying a spare Console battery door cover and drilling holes in it to create some additional ventilation. This will help reduce the additional indoor heat readings caused by the logger’s operation.

I was kind of thinking along the same lines with the external thermometer. Any recommendations for a cheap, but accurate, external?
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 03:17:04 PM »
I got one of the digital  infrared thermometers and took several readings of the surface of where the console was sitting and averaged them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:27:35 PM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

anything