Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35636 times)

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
When all is said and done, you are as right as rain.  I am besides myself that it took 3 1/2 weeks and a complete hardware change-out to get to the bottom of it...even though that CenturyLink had checked out (remotely) my router and said "all was fine" with it. 
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM »
Kudos to Davis for coming to the party and swapping out the data logger then the console, when it was the router that was the problem, in the end
(was a matter of elimination though, but maybe a lesson to others that it might be the router to look at first)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
Kudos to Davis for coming to the party and swapping out the data logger then the console, when it was the router that was the problem, in the end
(was a matter of elimination though, but maybe a lesson to others that it might be the router to look at first)

The router was one of the first suspects.  However, it was working fine for all other devices in the house (all of them being wireless), and CenturyLink checked it out at least twice, and it's unusual for just the "wired" part of a router to have this sort of problem.

Note also that I did suggest that wmcatty try hooking his PC up with a wired cable rather than wireless, but he didn't have a cable to try that with.  So, that diagnosis wasn't done. 

And we really don't know whether it was something in router hardware, something inherently "wrong" with this particular Westell router's firmware, or something strange with the router options/setup that could have been corrected.  [Not that it would be worth exploring those aspects - I'm just pointing out what we don't know]

The key to solving this problem was to take it step by step, and not just throw solutions at it, nor jump to conclusions.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
I blame The ISP / DSL provider, they dropped the ball by misdiagnosing the connection issue. I would think when you called they should have been able to look at their logs and say: "oh, your modem lost sync for so many minutes/hours on such and such date..."  rather than just say" it looks ok" ...Of course it was OK, that is right after you rebooted it, it was ok...
 ](*,)
 #-o
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
Perhaps you should review the information in this thread.  Several times, it was said that other devices in the house could easily connect to the ethernet, while the WLIP connection was "down".  It was also stated that the correct lights (internet, etc.) were lit.  All of that would seem to indicate that the modem had not lost sync.

"Lost sync" (lost internet connection) is exactly the reason that I asked about connectivity of other devices while the WLIP was out.  

I'm not saying there was nothing indicative that the ISP could have seen.  Nor am I attempting to excuse the ISP.  But perhaps it was not that obvious.

I do fault the ISP for not offering (at about the 3rd call) to send a replacement modem for exchange.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:43:15 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
Still doing OK?

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
Everything is running like a Swiss watch, Dalecoy. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:09:47 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Now that everything is running well and without any problems since the hardware change-out, I want to ask you all if you think I should designate a specific router port for the data?  I have always subscribed to the theorem that "if it aint't broke, don't fix it", but the earlier/past comments in this thread have suggested at times that a designated data port might possibly have been a solution to my data transmission difficulties.  Now knowing that it was the Centurylink router and not the console, data logger or software, (as evidenced by the uninterrupted flow of data being posted since the installation of the modem and router), would it be advisable to designate a specific port on the router now for this purpose?  I have had absolutely zero problems since the installation of the new hardware and no conflicts with VWS, etc. All my data is currently displayed timely and uploaded to WU and CWOP without any problems. I do not know if a designated port will improve anything at all, but suspect it might actually cause some type of problem in the future since all is well at this time...or I am being naive? 

You boys have solved my last problem so I just wanted to run it by you all to get some consensus on what you think about this...as well as get some idea on how to accomplish this task if it be "required".  What do you think would be the best route to take?

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
Does the WLIP support incoming connections for any type of web service?  If not, IMHO you don't need to do a thing.  Many ports are designated or "well known" for specific types of connections, like http=80, ftp=21, and such.  If you had a webserver of some sort, then you might want to route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9999 (isp assigned IP:random-port) to 192.168.xxx.xxx:80 to hit it from outside.  (It's a cheap security trick to change the inbound port of security cameras with built-in webservers to something other than the default of 80 or whatever, to make it harder to find by chance)  Otherwise, I personally don't know what benefit it would bring.

I WOULD however reserve an IP address (whatever it has now), assigned to the MAC address of the WLIP in your router's DHCP table. That was it is always assigned the same IP address whenever it registers.  That just makes it easier to keep track of, after power resets of your network when you want to access it from behind your router (LAN).

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Now that everything is running well and without any problems since the hardware change-out, I want to ask you all if you think I should ... (do something.

I have always subscribed to the theorem that "if it aint't broke, don't fix it", but the earlier/past comments in this thread have suggested (things...

Unless you have a good, technical reason for changing something, follow that theorem. 

Technically, there "should not" be any need for anything more than the setup you now have.  So, if it continues to work, why try to "improve" it?

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
Just as a side note there is now in the wild a DNS Trojan that is wreaking havoc with computers and thier connected routers...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:30:08 AM by kaymann »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
Just as a side note there is now in the wild a DNS Trojan that is wreaking havoc with computers and thier connected routers...

Do you have any more details than that?  DNS hijacks are nothing new, but you mentioned routers as targets.

Side note and/or for reference.  THIS ONE got me bad a couple of years ago.  If I tried to log into ebay, it would redirect me to a spoof ebay phishing site, complete with missspellled words and bad engrish, but with the REAL EBAY.COM domain name!  Same thing with paypal.com and other choice sites.  You could get to google.com (also spoofed), but if you searched for "virus scan" or "malware tools" or such, it would return bogus search results that would always go to an apparently notorious warez site that made my "safe-surf" util scream and/or block.  You would get 404s or redirects for anything like mcaffee.com or symantec.com or anywhere that might lead you to a fix.  I couldn't scrub it out and ended up replacing the drive after pulling my files from it.  Since it is rare for me to concede to a virus (this was the first defeat on one of my own systems), I kept the drive in case I learned more about it.  Yep, this was how they did it.  (Bright side, now I have a spare 500GB PATA for my TiVos!)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:39 PM »
What we are seeing is alot of routers needing to be reset to their factory defaults and then reset to customer settings to get the DNS settings straightened out.  We are just starting to investigate what is actually happening to change them other than variants of the DNSChanger trojan are also present on the client machines.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
What we are seeing is alot of routers needing to be reset to their factory defaults and then reset to customer settings to get the DNS settings straightened out.  We are just starting to investigate what is actually happening to change them other than variants of the DNSChanger trojan are also present on the client machines.

Are these enterprise level routers or consumer?  I was wondering how they would be able to insert or run code on the router.  I suppose if it is just a matter of hitting various un-firewalled and/or factory-default routers and trying "admin-admin" until they get into one and change a DNS, that's one way I suppose.  Sounds like this is more than that.

anything