Author Topic: Blitzortung "Red" system hardware overview video  (Read 2349 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Blitzortung "Red" system hardware overview video
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
I put together a 30-minute introductory video on the Blitzortung "Red" system hardware. It covers the basics of the controller, H-field amplifier and ferrite antennas.

http://youtu.be/hpKbZC1DEp4

Best regards,

Don F.
WD9DMP

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Blitzortung "Red" system hardware overview video
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
Awesome video, Don!!!!! Thanks for sharing and glad to see back on the board, Sir!!!
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
Yes, great video and I think really useful - even though it assured me even more that this is not for me  :grin:  As much as I am able to relatively quickly learn programming stuff, the worse it is when it gets to actually "do" things manually  :grin: I have zero experience with any sort of electrical work and dont even have a clue how these things work. So I will just rely on you other guys and just watch the blitzortung map without contributing

Either way  =D> =D> =D>

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »
Excellent video, very comprehensive and shows how everything works and inter-relates.
Your board has one of the best soldering jobs I have seen*, looks like a commercial build.
Maybe you could make a sequel covering the GUI...  :idea:

* except mine of course...  :lol:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »
Yes, great video and I think really useful - even though it assured me even more that this is not for me  :grin:  As much as I am able to relatively quickly learn programming stuff, the worse it is when it gets to actually "do" things manually  :grin: I have zero experience with any sort of electrical work and dont even have a clue how these things work. So I will just rely on you other guys and just watch the blitzortung map without contributing

Either way  =D> =D> =D>
Keep your eyes out for System Blue when it is announced,... it will be much more 'operator' friendly, and will need less technical skill and experience... one version will be 'pre-built', and basically 'plug'n'play'...  however that does NOT eliminate the research for 'lightning knowledge' and previous experience, and background!. It will NOT eliminate the 'community' 'network' paradigms required for successful implementation and integrations into the network,  It still won't be suitable for the casual "I Just Want The Data" and "Why doesn't it work properly' person...   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:51:52 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
Thanks Don, this will be most helpful in a few days.

Paul

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the kind comments. A few of you noticed my "E-Field" on screen captions that should have been "H-Field". I'm re-rendering the video now and will upload the corrected version to YouTube when done.

I did the video as a courtesy to two individuals for whom I have built stations as a sort of orientation on the hardware. However, I thought it might be useful for a general overview of the Red system - even though no new "Red" kits are shipping.

Best,

Don F.
WD9DMP

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »

Either way  =D> =D> =D>
Keep your eyes out for System Blue when it is announced,... it will be much more 'operator' friendly, and will need less technical skill and experience... one version will be 'pre-built', and basically 'plug'n'play'...  however that does NOT eliminate the research for 'lightning knowledge' and previous experience, and background!. It will NOT eliminate the 'community' 'network' paradigms required for successful implementation and integrations into the network,  It still won't be suitable for the casual "I Just Want The Data" and "Why doesn't it work properly' person...

Yes, well I think I have a relatively decent knowledge of lightning in general etc., but even if it was plugnplay, I probably wont be able to use it because I live right in the city center with thousands of wifis, electric cables, electric train rails etc. and there is just too much interference.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:40 AM »
Yes, well done!  =D> =D> =D>

73 de W3DRM
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything