Author Topic: anyone got any pics of there Blitzortung kit being put together?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
I just got my kit from Germany today.....wow lots of parts.....kind of spooked on what I got my self into....anyway if anyone out there has pics of there kit being put together I would be great full.

Anthony

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: anyone got any pics of there Blitzortung kit being put together?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
Congratulations!

I don't have the pictures as you were asking but cannot recommend highly enough the 'Heathkit' type of component by component instruction that is is the link below (if I don't goof it up).  I did the check boxes too, which made me feel even more confident and that I hadn't missed anything.

Please sort them to make sure they are all there.  I just did my Efield antenna last night and getting a bit tired yet wanting to be on line today, found it helpful to know where I left off.  I also printed out the portions of the 'official' manual showing the larger than life boards with their components marked on them, and the color picture to make sure that I wasn't mistaking an axial inductor for a mere resistor. 

I know there are some pointers to soldering in the threads here, too.  I got a really bright light on my work bench and then borrowed my wife's magnifier that she uses for cross stitching.  It all helps and makes one much more confident.

http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/blitzortung/docs/Blitzortung-RED-Assembly-Instructions.pdf

I am really pretty compulsive about not wanting to have to take a component out of the board, so I check and recheck, especially resister values with an ohm meter before putting it in.  That slows me down, but I feel comfortable doing it that way. 

Also, read the comments about having a good fine needle nose pliers available to help make a non-stress bend in the axial components such as the resistors and some of the inductors.

The only part I fluxed were the pads of the surface mounts.  I got a little bottle of flux and did those pads, and while it made for having to clean the board with alcohol (from the pharmacy, not single-malt) it make the pre-tinning of one of the pins to solder it down to hold it in place a breeze.

I know one of the guys here uses solder PASTE, but I think a really fine rosin core solder does just fine.  And the official document recommends against it, I think because some of the through the board holes get solder in them and might bridge.

A very clean tip on the soldering iron, good pressure to heat the joint (so make sure the board isn't just floating free).

And I think there is a soldering course review posted here just to go over basics and to let people practice a bit too.

If I can find that I'll link here, too.

http://www.lexingtonwx.com/html/soldering.html

although Al is trying to get it to be hosted somewhere else, I think that link will work for you.

All I can tell you is that to be organized and pace yourself will serve you well.  Even having completed the major part of the build a few months ago, I was a wee bit hesitant but after getting the surface mounts in place, the rest was a breeze and a little music and no visual distractions helps best for me.

Good luck.  Please keep us posted.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Knickohr

• Der Sternhimmel ueber Ulm
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:01:21 AM »
Some images ...

More Images ?   :lol:

Thomas

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
More Images ?   :lol:

Thomas
Actually I'd love some images of what appears to be a good-sized newtonian reflector sitting in that building, but those can maybe go in another thread in the 'Chit-chat' section... :D

Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:45:02 AM »
I know one of the guys here uses solder PASTE, but I think a really fine rosin core solder does just fine.  And the official document recommends against it, I think because some of the through the board holes get solder in them and might bridge.

I can attest to that! What a mistake.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »
Those are amazing pictures!

Well photographed, beautiful work on the surface mount solders.

Very very nice, indeed.  This isn't your first time with a soldering iron in your hand.

How much did the cat help/hinder?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Knickohr

• Der Sternhimmel ueber Ulm
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »
First time ?

:shock:  NO !  I'm "soldering" about 40 years  :lol:  Now, I'm fascinated of those little SMDs. Hope, in the near future there will be an System BLUE available only with SMDs  \:D/

The one cat doesn't make sense, two cats are quite better  :???:  It's not possible to do such things with cats, it's better, to close the door to the hobby-room.

More astro-pics ?  Look here :  http://www.sternhimmel-ueber-ulm.de/

Thomas
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:53:17 AM by Knickohr »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
Thanks for the links to the astrophotos.

You have had great success with your hobby.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:48:23 AM »
Thank you all for the reply's

Anthony

Offline mrbeamer

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
Nice setup!
1 tip: Turn the external GPS connection 90°

You have to bend the LED out of the way or place it elsewhere on the PCB, but now it will fit better inside a case.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
Nice pic and a really good idea! That would eliminate punching another hole in the case.

Best regards,

Don
WD9DMP

Nice setup!
1 tip: Turn the external GPS connection 90°

You have to bend the LED out of the way or place it elsewhere on the PCB, but now it will fit better inside a case.

anything